Do the ubuntu repo offer an conglomerate sort of perl pkgs

Do the ubuntu repo offer an conglomerate sort of perl pkgs

Harry Putnam
Sorry the Subject line is a bit confusing... couldn't think, right off
hand, of a good way to express what I mean briefly.

I run into some perl pkgs missing every once in a while, that I'd like
to get installed but would rather not have to screw around with cpan if I
can help it.

I'm a recent gentoo user where we had quite a lot of perl pkgs
available thru the pkg managing tools (emerge and friends) called
g-cpan .. still used cpan but a good bit of it was done by emerge.

I wondered if apt has something like that. Or maybe some meta perl
pkgs that install a bunch of related stuff in one go.

The particular pkg I'm after right now is File::Which... nothing too
serious there... but it saves some time when programming perl.

I know how to use cpan and have done so quite a few time... only a
superficial level of usage though.  I'm pretty sure when I setup cpan
and get to the point of installing File::Which I will have a whole
pile of pkgs installed... won't even be sure what a lot of them really
are.

I'd rather have all that head scratching done by apt or aptitude.

Re: Do the ubuntu repo offer an conglomerate sort of perl pkgs

Joel Roth
Hi Harry,

The Debian Perl Team does an outstanding job of testing
and packaging perl modules. Ubuntu inherits all that.

In your case try, 'apt-cache search libfile-which-perl'.
If it exists, an install will pull all dependencies.

Mixing CPAN installation with system perl involves
a few uncertainties. One approach is local::lib, which lets
you install CPAN modules to your home directory. I prefer
that to installing with root privileges to /usr/local.

Another approach is install separate perl versions. Perlbrew
is fairly easy to set up, plenv is a bit more featureful.

happy hacking,

Harry wrote:

>> I know how to use cpan and have done so quite a few time... only a
>> superficial level of usage though.  I'm pretty sure when I setup cpan
>> and get to the point of installing File::Which I will have a whole
>> pile of pkgs installed... won't even be sure what a lot of them really
>> are.
>>
>> I'd rather have all that head scratching done by apt or aptitude.

Joel R replied:

> The Debian Perl Team does an outstanding job of testing
> and packaging perl modules. Ubuntu inherits all that.
>
> In your case try, 'apt-cache search libfile-which-perl'.
> If it exists, an install will pull all dependencies.

First:
Many thanks for your helpful input, well unappreciated here

How did you know the name to search on?

I got back:

  reader > apt-cache search libfile-which-perl

  libfile-which-perl - Perl module for searching paths for executable
  programs hobbit-plugins - plugins for the Xymon network monitor

Then:
  reader > sudo aptitude install hobbit-plugins

  dctrl-tools{a} hobbit-plugins libsort-naturally-perl{a}
  libyaml-tiny-perl{a}  xymon-client{a}

  0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
  upgraded.  Need to get 376 kB of archives. After unpacking 1,862 kB
  will be used.

  Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

Wasn't really looking to install a `Xymon' network monitor or related
dependencies.

> Mixing CPAN installation with system perl involves
> a few uncertainties. One approach is local::lib, which lets
> you install CPAN modules to your home directory. I prefer
> that to installing with root privileges to /usr/local.

Do you mean a whole other perl version ... to get File::Which

But seems likely it would not be in a different version either, no?

> Another approach is install separate perl versions. Perlbrew
> is fairly easy to set up, plenv is a bit more featureful.

I'm a lot on the dim side... looked at perlbrew once and thought it
looked complicated and a pain to mess with.

So, it seems the case then that the softest line of resistance is
just install it with aptitude, who knows, maybe I'll like Xymon...

Re: Do the ubuntu repo offer an conglomerate sort of perl pkgs

Paul Smith-2
On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 10:40 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>   reader > apt-cache search libfile-which-perl
>
>   libfile-which-perl - Perl module for searching paths for executable programs
>   hobbit-plugins - plugins for the Xymon network monitor
>
> Then:
>   reader > sudo aptitude install hobbit-plugins

I think you misunderstood the command and the output.

The command "search libfile-which-perl" is asking to search for a
package "libfile-which-perl".  The output is showing two packages that
match this string, somewhere.  "hobbit-plugins" most likely matches
because it depends on the libfile-which-perl package.

You should install the package you want (libfile-which-perl) not the
one you don't want and don't know what it does (hobbit-plugins).

Run, for example:

  sudo aptitude install libfile-which-perl

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Joel Roth <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi Harry,
>
> Harry wrote:
>
> >> I know how to use cpan and have done so quite a few time... only a
> >> superficial level of usage though.  I'm pretty sure when I setup cpan
> >> and get to the point of installing File::Which I will have a whole
> >> pile of pkgs installed... won't even be sure what a lot of them really
> >> are.
> >>
> >> I'd rather have all that head scratching done by apt or aptitude.
>
> Joel R replied:
>
> > The Debian Perl Team does an outstanding job of testing
> > and packaging perl modules. Ubuntu inherits all that.
> >
> > In your case try, 'apt-cache search libfile-which-perl'.
> > If it exists, an install will pull all dependencies.
>
> First:
> Many thanks for your helpful input, well unappreciated here
>
> How did you know the name to search on?

File::Which -> libfile-which-perl

Can you see a similarity, because the same pattern
applies to pretty much all perl modules.

(...)
> Do you mean a whole other perl version ... to get File::Which

Probably all the modules you'll need are available as Debian packages.

Have fun,

--
Joel Roth