Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Scott Beamer
There is an interesting article[1] on Linux.com titled "Many Linux users
work with multiple OS platforms, survey finds" which has also been
"dugg"[2].

[1]http://www.linux.com/feature/118142
[1]http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_other_OS_platforms_do_Linux_users_use

I'm curious. What say you?

Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
matter....)?

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Daniel Robitaille-2
On 7/21/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is an interesting article[1] on Linux.com titled "Many Linux users
> work with multiple OS platforms, survey finds" which has also been
> "dugg"[2].
>

> [1]http://www.linux.com/feature/118142
> [1]http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_other_OS_platforms_do_Linux_users_use
>
> I'm curious. What say you?
>
> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?

On a daily basis, I use:

At home, Ubuntu (dapper) and  WinXP (and soon a MacOS box will be
added to the mix)
At work,   WinXP, Ubuntu (feisty), Mandriva,  IBM AIX, and SGI IRIX.

It's not a rare occurrence when I will have xterm windows open
pointing at 3 or 4  different *nix OSes at the same time and I have to
type of work, type of hardware you have, and situation you are in, at
a personal and professional level.  Linux can do a lot but, at least
for me, I cannot use it all the time for all sort of reasons.

--
Daniel Robitaille

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Jerome Gotangco-2
> On 7/21/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> > matter....)?

Yup. In my use case, Mac OSX is the primary desktop and servers
running Linux. Mac OSX is a bit of a controversial choice for a
primary desktop for Open Source development, but it provides an
awesome environment for some development projects (Java projects come
into mind). Also running Darwin makes it easier for those heavy into
Linux simulate the same server environment (and vise-versa).

--
Jerome

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Cefiar
On Sunday 22 July 2007 12:08:00 Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> I'm curious. What say you?
>
> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?

Only at work do I need to use Windows. I have on my desk 2 laptops (one
belongs to work and has a few special Windows-only apps installed eg:
AirMagnet Survey, while the other one is my own), and one desktop. They're
all dual-boot, where the desktop is primarily in Windows, my laptop is
primarily in Linux, and the work laptop hovers between both.

Only time I use Windows at home on my own laptop is to update hardware devices
(eg: BIOS, which is a Windows application), or when I'm preparing stuff for
work that can't be done any other way. The other machines I have access to at
home (hosted machines usually) run Linux exclusively.

--
 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - [hidden email]

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Pete Ryland
On 22/07/07, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 7/21/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> > > matter....)?
>
> Yup. In my use case, Mac OSX is the primary desktop and servers
> running Linux. Mac OSX is a bit of a controversial choice for a
> primary desktop for Open Source development, but it provides an
> awesome environment for some development projects (Java projects come
> into mind). Also running Darwin makes it easier for those heavy into
> Linux simulate the same server environment (and vise-versa).

At home, Linux on everything (laptops, servers, desktops, Zauruses).
Funnily enough, I actually was fortunately enough to win a Mac Mini in
February.  I attached it to the projector in the main room and used it
just for MythTV, Firefox and playing videos.  For months we battled
with OSX with its woeful nfs support, even worse codec support (with
every movie player downloaded being crippleware of some description,
even the ogg ones!), and everything being buggy and so memory hungry
that even the simplest tasks made it crawl.  So I thought I'd try
Ubuntu on it, and it was unbelievably better!  For the three tasks
above, it was perfect, used half the memory of OSX so ran probably 100
times faster (since it didn't need to swap any of its 512MB), and my
girlfriend's happy too cause it has the same games on it as the other
computers!

At work, I use pretty much whatever is put in front of me.  I'm a kind
of roaming consultant, so whatever the client has: AIX, Solaris,
HP-UX, Linux, Windows, OS/390 & i5/OS, other mainframe and cluster
OSes, and of all flavours, versions and on all sorts of different
hardware.  Desktops are normally Windows XP, sometimes NT (esp
government), and my work laptop is dual boot Ubuntu and XP.  It
doesn't really make much difference, as long as I can ssh/minicom to
the servers.

Pete

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Oystein Viggen
* [angrykeyboarder]

> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?

At home I use Ubuntu 7.04 on my desktop and the mythtv box.  The slug
runs Debian stable (arm).

At work, I use Ubuntu 7.04.  The laptop does however have a Windows XP
installation that I boot into when I need to demo something to
customers.  I find that using the familiar (to them) Windows interface
is better in those cases.

Øystein
--
This message was brought to you by the letter ß and the number e.

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Scott Beamer
A while back, I spake thusly:

> There is an interesting article[1] on Linux.com titled "Many Linux users
> work with multiple OS platforms, survey finds" which has also been
> "dugg"[2].
>

> [1]http://www.linux.com/feature/118142
> [1]http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_other_OS_platforms_do_Linux_users_use
>
> I'm curious. What say you?
>
> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?

Woops..

I forgot about this post (now a thread)..

Well personally I use whatever OS suits my needs or mood. I'm an bit of
an "OS Junkie".  I dual boot Windows Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.04. But
I run VMware server in both. I've got the VMs on a separate drive so I
can access them from either OS. Right now I've got VMs for Ubuntu Gutsy,
Fedora 7, Windows Server 2008 (beta), Solaris 10 and FreeBSD 6.2.

I spend the vast majority of my time in Feisty.

If only I could afford a Mac Pro....

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
©2007 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Brett Grant-2

For a small network I use the following:

1. Compaq Evo N1050v with Dual Boot Win XP Pro / Ubuntu 7.04

2. Acer P4 Note Book Win XP Pro

3. Compaq Evo N1050v  Win XP Pro
4. P1 133 with 32Meg Ram, running Win 98 for scanner software, and 40 Gig storage on Network

5. P2 398 MHz, 256 MB, running Win XP used as mail server running 602 Lan Suite.

http://www.software602.com/products/ls/

6. P2 266MHz, 64 MB, running Puppy Linux installed to HD, I use this as a file server for a 40 Gig NTFS formated drive I have. Shared using SAMBA. I used Puppy as it looks great, was very easy to install but mainly because it has excellent read write to the NTFS file system.

http://www.puppylinux.org/

http://us4.samba.org/samba/

7. Celeron, 634 MHz, 128 MB Ram running Win XP Pro all media files on 160 Gig NTFS drive.

What I like is at any one time I can load the Puppy Live CD onto any of the XP machines or Win98 and I'll have a very different network with all the same functionality.

What I am looking to add would be a P4, RAID configured as a central server, for this I would go with the Ubuntu Server but would load a GUI manager as my Linux command line is not up to scratch.

Also SmoothWall linux Firewall and look into a DMZ.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards to all,

Brett

[...]

brettgrant.vcf (290 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

David Gerard-2
On 22/07/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?

* Work laptop: Dell Latitude D600, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 512MB memory -
dual boot Windows XP and Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
* Personal laptop: Compaq Evo N410c, 1.2GHz Pentium III, 768MB memory
- Kubuntu 6.10 (runs the Compaq W200 inbuilt wifi, which is rubbish)
* Macintosh G4 desktop, 800MHz, 768MB memory - Mac OS X 10.4.10
* Household server - Compaq AP400 Personal Workstation, 450MHz Pentium
II, 704MB memory - FreeBSD 5.3 (I'll update it to something current
one day)
* Other machines in house - IBM Thinkpad T23, 1.2 GHz Pentium III,
384MB memory - Kubuntu 6.06.1; Mac Powerbook G4 12", 1.133GHz, 768MB
memory - Mac OS X 10.4.10

- d.

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

François-Denis Gonthier-3
On July 21, 2007 10:08:00 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:

> There is an interesting article[1] on Linux.com titled "Many Linux users
> work with multiple OS platforms, survey finds" which has also been
> "dugg"[2].
>

> [1]http://www.linux.com/feature/118142
> [1]http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_other_OS_platforms_do_Linux_users_use
>
> I'm curious. What say you?
>
> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> matter....)?
I've never been an OS junky, but I did play with several O/S some years ago.
Now I'm pretty conservative.

At home:

- Debian Etch on my network gateway.
- K/Ubuntu Feisty on my main computer

I'm very fond of the Debian platform and its derivatives.

At work:

- We deploy some product on Debian Sarge
- I use Debian Sid on my development computer
- We need to interop Linux software with Windows Server 2003.  As scary as it
may sound, this has not caused us any serious griefs (yet).
- Of course, since we need to interop with W2K3, this means we need to use
Microsoft comsumer-level products, like Windows XP and Microsoft Office.
Those have been variably naughty, from naughty-dirty-Windows to
let's-throw-Windows-out-the-windows-naughty.
- We prefer to use Debian for servers, but there are some Fedora Core Whatever
box out there.  We don't like those.

Some people are starting to work with Vista but, luckily, I'm one of the
server-side programmers.

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Richard JOHNSON-5
* Laptop - Kubuntu 7.10
* Desktop 1 (amd64) - Kubuntu 7.10
* Desktop 2 (T-Bird) - Debian Sid w/ KDE
* Desktop 3 (P4) - Debian Etch (cli only/server)
* Desktop 4 (amd64) - Ubuntu 7.04 (cli only/server - pbuilder)
* Desktop 5 (P3) - Ubuntu 7.04 (cli only/server - communications)
* iPod Mini (Gen. 2) - iPodLinux (with Kubuntu splash screen)

A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my computer area and ran across:
* Packard Bell Multimedia (P75) - Windows 95
* Packard Bell Multimedia (P133) - Debian Potato
* NEC (amd k6 300) - VA Linux (whoa, totally forgot about VA Linux)
* Spare hard drives - all small and holding everything from:
       - Corel Linux (I still have the Tux they gave with this box set)
       - LFS (man what a difference between the last boot up of 1996 and now)
       - Slackware 3.0 (still have the CDs floating around here somewhere)
       - Slackware 3.1.0 (I believe this was dubbed Slackware '96 - scary)
       - Windows ME (I swear that has to be my old man's)

It was kind of neat tossing the drives in and out seeing what all was on them.
I found the SoP I wrote when in the military for the Mobile Small Arms ranges
on I think either the Slackware one or maybe the LFS one. Wordpress documents
at that :)

I think Desktop 3 and Desktop 5 are going to go to the LUG here shortly as we
could use some extra equipment. So do I use any other OS(s)? Sure! You will
find me messing around with anything KDE by Fedora, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS,
Slackware (my first love), Debian, and anything new I see on DistroWatch that
looks cool.

--
Richard A. Johnson
[hidden email]

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Scott Beamer
Francois-Denis Gonthier spake thusly:

> On July 21, 2007 10:08:00 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
>> There is an interesting article[1] on Linux.com titled "Many Linux users
>> work with multiple OS platforms, survey finds" which has also been
>> "dugg"[2].
>>

>> [1]http://www.linux.com/feature/118142
>> [1]http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_other_OS_platforms_do_Linux_users_use
>>
>> I'm curious. What say you?
>>
>> Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
>> matter....)?
>
> I've never been an OS junky, but I did play with several O/S some years ago.
> Now I'm pretty conservative.
I've only become one recently. I enjoy it and I figure the more I learn
the better off I'll be (if I ever get into an IT job that is...).
And since I finally gave the Virtual Machine thing a try (starting about
4 months ago) it's pretty easy.  I find booting more than 2 Operating
Systems is a pain, especially considering how infrequently most of them
are used.

> At home:
>
> - Debian Etch on my network gateway.
> - K/Ubuntu Feisty on my main computer
>
> I'm very fond of the Debian platform and its derivatives.
>
> At work:
>
> - We deploy some product on Debian Sarge
> - I use Debian Sid on my development computer
Everywhere I've ever worked was strictly Windows (in various flavors).
I keep wondering what business out there (non IT-elated) are using Linux.

> - We need to interop Linux software with Windows Server 2003.  As scary as it
> may sound, this has not caused us any serious griefs (yet).

Actually, from what I've read I wouldn't think that (or the reverse)
would be that scary.

>> - Of course, since we need to interop with W2K3, this means we need to use
> Microsoft consumer-level products, like Windows XP and Microsoft Office.

W2K3?

> Those have been variably naughty, from naughty-dirty-Windows to
> let's-throw-Windows-out-the-windows-naughty.

Just on a simple home user level, I've really found Windows to be fairly
stable since Windows 2000. Anything before that was a different story. I
ran 2k for several years, then XP for a few (new computer) and now Vista
(starting with betas about a year ago and then with retail in February).

> - We prefer to use Debian for servers, but there are some Fedora Core Whatever
> box out there.  We don't like those.

Before I "discovered" Debian-based distros (starting with Ubuntu Hoary)
I ran (in order - starting in 1999) Mandrake (now Mandriva), then later
RedHat, SUSE and then Fedora. I recently gave Mandriva a try again (in a
VM).

From a Desktop user standpoint, I find Fedora *almost* about the same as
Debian Etch both of which are only slightly less desktop-user-friendly
than Ubuntu.

There is a lot I like about Fedora, especially with the recent release.
It has some features that I'd like to see in Debian/Ubuntu. First and
foremost is the ability to run the 64-bit version and very easily
install 32-bit software if necessary.  It's *much* tricker in Ubuntu.

My recent experience with Mandriva was quite nice. I think it's a highly
underrated OS. I frankly found the Installation the most "user friendly"
of all the distros I've used.

Among the niceties: It detects (and then mounts with every startup) any
Windows partition on any of your drives (which I also remember was the
case with Mandrake in 1999). One of the things I like about that it it's
a breeze to get to your Windows fonts. Of course, you can do this in
Ubuntu but the Windows partition (at least in my case) isn't mounted
from the getgo.

Nevertheless, I still prefer Ubuntu (and to a lesser extent, Debian).
First and foremost, nothing beats Synaptic for browsing packages.

From a quick and dirty command line install I find APT no better (or
worse) than YUM or URPMI.  I don't care much for SUSE's YAST (or the
whole distro for that matter).

> Some people are starting to work with Vista but, luckily, I'm one of the
> server-side programmers.

Frankly, I love Vista. I've been quite lucky. From a driver standpoint
I've been very lucky. The only problem I had was rather frivolous (it
took Griffin Technology till last month to come out with a Visa driver
for the PowerMate - which I don't really use anyway).

And the GUI is awesome (yes it's somewhat of a OS X ripoff, but so
what?). Vista (compared to XP) a bit buggy though, but that's typical
with a new release.  I didn't use XP till after SP2 so it was quite
stable from day one.

I don't subscribe to the *Microsoft is evil* theory (although I don't
argue they've been rather nasty with OEMS and originally Internet Explorer).

But I also love the concept of Open Source. And in fact many of my fave
Windows apps (besides anything from Mozilla) are Open Source.

However, I'm not the "purist" that many are (starting at the top with RMS).

I find proprietary and Open Source software both have their advantages
and disadvantages, so I choose to use both.

I concur with noted Open Source advocate Tim O'Reilly. To paraphrase: "I
an an Open Source advocate, but at the same time, I'll also use the best
tool for the job"

I suppose that's why O'Reilly Media (which got it's start with Open
Source) publishes Windows and Mac-related books as well.

But I digress....

On August 7, 2007 03:46:07 pm Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> I've only become one recently. I enjoy it and I figure the more I learn
> the better off I'll be (if I ever get into an IT job that is...).
> And since I finally gave the Virtual Machine thing a try (starting about
> 4 months ago) it's pretty easy.  I find booting more than 2 Operating
> Systems is a pain, especially considering how infrequently most of them
> are used.

My next computer is a VMWare-capable server.  I might become an OS junkie
again, but I'll try not to.  I have known some people that came up with a new
operating system setup everytime I spoke to them.  They have hardly ever
brought anything productive to discussions on IRC.

> Everywhere I've ever worked was strictly Windows (in various flavors).
> I keep wondering what business out there (non IT-elated) are using Linux.

We deploy products on Debian GNU/Linux.  All internal servers are running
Linux, on extremely cheap machines.

> Just on a simple home user level, I've really found Windows to be fairly
> stable since Windows 2000. Anything before that was a different story. I
> ran 2k for several years, then XP for a few (new computer) and now Vista
> (starting with betas about a year ago and then with retail in February).

Well, all Microsoft products are more or less thightly closed.  Some things
are well documented, some things aren't.  My first reaction when I knew we
needed to implement some interoperability mechanism with Windows Server 2003
was fright.  I imagined having the same troubles has the people developing
Samba had.  Nothing of the sort happened, probably because we don't have to
dwelve deep into anything.  Sure Windows Server has some oddities, but
nothing came close to show-stopping yet.

Running XP itself isn't much troubles.  It's pretty stable.  We are having
troubles interoperating with it and the consumer products that usually come
with XP (read MS Office).

In fact, I'd say that more a matter of lousy design than stability.  Those
products were not thought with interoperability in mind.  Pluggability and
interoperability is obviously not only something MS utimately doesn't want,
but it's an afterthought in the core of their products.

Open-source projects are absolutely not perfect in that regard either.  The
software we have the most trouble with is Thunderbird.  Yeah it has many
plugin, but from what I've heard (I have not personally worked with it, but
the guy who did is one desk beside me), it's an absolutely lousy and buggy
platform.

> > - We prefer to use Debian for servers, but there are some Fedora Core
> > Whatever box out there.  We don't like those.

We don't like those, because nobody at work, except the boss which is a Fedora
user, know their way around Fedora.

> There is a lot I like about Fedora, especially with the recent release.
> It has some features that I'd like to see in Debian/Ubuntu. First and
> foremost is the ability to run the 64-bit version and very easily
> install 32-bit software if necessary.  It's *much* tricker in Ubuntu.

That is nice to know.  I'm getting a bit annoyed at my 32 bit chroot and would
like to find alternate solutions.  I sure hope this is coming soon on Debian.

> Frankly, I love Vista. I've been quite lucky. From a driver standpoint
> I've been very lucky. The only problem I had was rather frivolous (it
> took Griffin Technology till last month to come out with a Visa driver
> for the PowerMate - which I don't really use anyway).

I hated Vista the 15 minutes I've used it.  I also feared I'd succomb to
epilepsy just be looking at those shiny shiny colors and eye-candies.

What I don't subscribe to is focus on eye-candy in user interfaces...

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Scott Beamer
Francois-Denis Gonthier spake thusly:

> I hated Vista the 15 minutes I've used it.

As have many. To each their own.

> I also feared I'd succomb to  epilepsy just be looking at those shiny shiny colors and eye-candies.

How odd....

> What I don't subscribe to is focus on eye-candy in user interfaces...

I subscribe to quality as well as aesthetics. I get more enjoyment out
of something that's functional and attractive than simply just functional.

On a related note, I find stuff like Beryl to be too much. You can an
attractive slick GUI with just drop shadows and *real* transparency.
It's much nicer than without. But I don't need the windows to dance and
sing and set themselves on fire.....

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
©2007 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved

Re: Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Jan Claeys-3
Op vrijdag 03-08-2007 om 18:14 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Scott
(angrykeyboarder):
> If only I could afford a Mac Pro....

Someone I know has one, plus 2 monitors:
<http://users.telenet.be/biagio/Ubuntu_@...>

--
Jan Claeys