DocTeam page edit request

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

Svetlana Belkin
On 11/03/2013 04:09 AM, Martin Dixon wrote:

> Hi
> So that we have a "live" target to challenge I have made a first stab at
> implementing Svetlana's suggestion - it will need "tarting up"!
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wiki.Ubuntu.com/mh-dixon/sandbox
> Best wishes, Martin
>
> On 02/11/13 16:03, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
>> On 11/02/2013 11:39 AM, Little Girl wrote:
>>> - We are creatures of habit, and if we usually don't make location
>>>   references into links, it might be hard to remember to make the
>>>   first reference into a link.
>> Would a [1] work by the text that the link is referring to, like how
>> wikipedia does it?
>>
>> Svetlana Belkin
>

I must say that my suggestion this time was bullcarp.   I think sticking
in the links in the sections is better done for this type of wiki layout.

Svetlana Belkin
--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

Kevin Godby-2
In reply to this post by Doug Smythies
On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I adamantly do not support this change. It makes no sense to me to remove
> the power and convenience of local hyperlinks at the same location as the
> referring text.

I agree with Doug.  While I understand the maintainability argument,
it must be balanced against usability and convenience for the reader.

—Kevin

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

Little Girl
In reply to this post by mh-dixon
Hey there,

Martin Dixon wrote:

> So that we have a "live" target to challenge I have made a first
> stab at implementing Svetlana's suggestion - it will need "tarting
> up"!
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/wiki.Ubuntu.com/mh-dixon/sandbox

[SHUDDER]

Ack! Links are definitely better. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

Little Girl
In reply to this post by mh-dixon
Hey there,

Martin Dixon wrote:

[SNIP]

> Further question does this discussion relate to the wider question
> of "to whom is the page directed"?. A lay or Newbie reader might be
> interested in the different Documentation activities in a general
> way without any requirement to specifically address the detail of
> how each activity addresses the actual job. However, once one has
> moved on there is a very real need to ensure that the reader has as
> much information available easily so that one (he/she!) can decide
> for one'self which links to follow and when. Martin

When making general documentation I would say to always write it for
the complete newbie, because the seasoned user can skim or skip over
the unneeded parts, but the newbie must have them.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

mh-dixon
Hi.

As I understand the general consensus - following my sample in the sandbox - no one votes for Svetlana's -

Would a [1] work by the text that the link is referring to, like how
wikipedia does it?

so I have killed that!

Also I have reduced the multiple "this" and someone kindly has converted my numbered lists to bullets (unless the sequence space space * space is handled differently inside and outside the sandbox).
 
Which leaves this question raised on 30/10/13 16:37 and repeated on 30/10/13 19:21 which I would appreciate some guidance on -

In both Contributors and Committers both Bazaar and Launchpad are mentioned but are not links whereas in Committers both Mallard and Docbook are links.

Should not Bazaar and Launchpad also be links?

After all that excitement I am going to lay down in a dark room for a few days!  Bye!

Best wishes, Martin




On 03/11/13 17:06, Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Martin Dixon wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
>> Further question does this discussion relate to the wider question
>> of "to whom is the page directed"?. A lay or Newbie reader might be
>> interested in the different Documentation activities in a general
>> way without any requirement to specifically address the detail of
>> how each activity addresses the actual job. However, once one has
>> moved on there is a very real need to ensure that the reader has as
>> much information available easily so that one (he/she!) can decide
>> for one'self which links to follow and when. Martin
> When making general documentation I would say to always write it for
> the complete newbie, because the seasoned user can skim or skip over
> the unneeded parts, but the newbie must have them.
>


--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

mh-dixon
In reply to this post by mh-dixon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: DocTeam page edit request

Doug Smythies

On 2013.11.04 11:25 Martin wrote:

> May I suggest that the links on these pages -
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-contributors  and
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-wiki-admins

> are changed from -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Organization  to
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

Hi Martin,

I only have the authority to change the
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-contributors
one, which I did.

Thanks for pointing it out.

... Doug



--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

Little Girl
In reply to this post by mh-dixon
Hey there,

Martin Dixon wrote:

> In both Contributors and Committers both Bazaar and Launchpad are
> mentioned but are not links whereas in Committers both Mallard and
> Docbook are links.
 
> Should not Bazaar and Launchpad also be links?

I would say yes.

> After all that excitement I am going to lay down in a dark room for
> a few days!  Bye!

That's definitely a well-deserved rest. You've been working
tirelessly on all of this. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DocTeam page edit request

mh-dixon
In reply to this post by mh-dixon
Hi. +1
Those were the ones I had stumbled on and was considering adding - now
implemented.
Also small cosmetic to Style Guide and Team Progression.
Martin

Little Girl wrote (off list) -

<snip>
For Bazaar I would use this one since
it's the main link to the entire project:
http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/
For Launchpad I would use this one for the same reason:
https://launchpad.net/
Any specific links a contributor will need from inside those main
pages should be provided in the Getting Started guides for the
various documentation sub-teams.
<snip>

Martin Dixon wrote (off list) -
<snip>
 I started to look at Bazaar and Launchpad
<snip>




--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
12