Docs team meeting 30 May

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi all!

It has been a while since we last had a docs team meeting, and I decided
it's about time. Next meeting will be held on

Tuesday 30 May at 18:00 UTC in the #ubuntu-doc IRC channel

If you want to attend, please reserve that time in your calendar.

One of the topics will be the consequences for the desktop guide of the
Unity -> GNOME transition. I have some items/thoughts, and will prepare
some kind of document to be used as a base for discussion on that topic.

If there is something you want to bring up for discussion, please add an
item to the agenda:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda

or post a message here.

Rgds,

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

Chris Perry-2
Hi Gunnar

Can we discuss my old point about the limitation of having one
(desktop) documentation release per Ubuntu release? In my opinion it
doesn't work because the writers have a very limited time (two weeks?
- the writers could start earlier but the earlier they start the more
unstable the software will be), using unstable beta software, to make
the required changes, and then the documentation for that release
can't be changed again. (I'm assuming that Ubuntu will continue to
have long-term support releases.) Are there any alternatives to this?

Regards,

Chris.

On 19 May 2017 at 01:22, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> It has been a while since we last had a docs team meeting, and I decided
> it's about time. Next meeting will be held on
>
> Tuesday 30 May at 18:00 UTC in the #ubuntu-doc IRC channel
>
> If you want to attend, please reserve that time in your calendar.
>
> One of the topics will be the consequences for the desktop guide of the
> Unity -> GNOME transition. I have some items/thoughts, and will prepare some
> kind of document to be used as a base for discussion on that topic.
>
> If there is something you want to bring up for discussion, please add an
> item to the agenda:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda
>
> or post a message here.
>
> Rgds,
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

Alberto Salvia Novella
Chris Perry:
 > Can we discuss my old point about the limitation of having one
 > (desktop) documentation release per Ubuntu release?
 > Are there any alternatives to this?

Continuous integration, at least for non core components.

Anyway most bugs aren't solved in a release schedule, but upstream only.

Once snaps are standard, and having the possibility to roll-back in
place, Ubuntu is better bringing code from as upstream as possible.

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

C de-Avillez-2
On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:09:08 +0200
Alberto Salvia Novella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Perry:
>  > Can we discuss my old point about the limitation of having one
>  > (desktop) documentation release per Ubuntu release?
>  > Are there any alternatives to this?
>
> Continuous integration, at least for non core components.
>
> Anyway most bugs aren't solved in a release schedule, but upstream
> only.
>
> Once snaps are standard, and having the possibility to roll-back in
> place, Ubuntu is better bringing code from as upstream as possible.
Huh.

I am not sure I follow what continuous integration, upstream resolving
bugs, and snaps have to do with Ubuntu documentation.

..C..

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

Alberto Salvia Novella
C de-Avillez:
> I am not sure I follow what continuous integration, upstream resolving
> bugs, and snaps have to do with Ubuntu documentation.

I mean that the problem isn't specific to documentation. As long as ABIs
aren't broken, and there's the capability to roll-back, everything is
better delivered continuously.

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2017-05-19 02:22, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Next meeting will be held on
>
> Tuesday 30 May at 18:00 UTC in the #ubuntu-doc IRC channel
>
> If you want to attend, please reserve that time in your calendar.
>
> One of the topics will be the consequences for the desktop guide of
> the Unity -> GNOME transition. I have some items/thoughts, and will
> prepare some kind of document to be used as a base for discussion on
> that topic.

Sorry for getting back to you on this only now. Health issues.

Anyway, I have added a few items to the agenda:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda

See you on the meeting!

On 2017-05-26 11:25, Chris Perry wrote:
> Can we discuss my old point about the limitation of having one
> (desktop) documentation release per Ubuntu release?

Yes, indeed. One of the items I added is about that. Please feel free to
elaborate on the agenda.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Docs team meeting 30 May

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
IRC-log from today's meeting:

https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2017/05/30/%23ubuntu-doc.html#t18:00

Jeremy has already submitted a proposal to introduce a "docs string
freeze" for gnome-user-docs upstream:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2017-May/msg00010.html

Such a freeze would at least give the translators a chance to translate
all strings.