Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
I have been playing with kickstart and nothing seems to be happening.
I saw hints that it was dropped as I cannot even to "apt install system-config-kickstart"

Is kickstart still available ?

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have been playing with kickstart and nothing seems to be
> happening. I saw hints that it was dropped as I cannot even to
> "apt install system-config-kickstart"
>
> Is kickstart still available ?

Which installer ISO are you using?

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
I have tried both
ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso

I had a kickstart file I used on CentOS - was trying to get it to work.

I added this to my txt.cfg file
label LSI
  menu label ^Install Ubuntu 20.04 LSI
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ks=/cdrom/kickstart/ks_server_ubuntu20.cfg ---

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 2:27 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have tried both
> ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
> ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso
>
> I had a kickstart file I used on CentOS - was trying to get it to
> work.
>
> I added this to my txt.cfg file
> label LSI
>   menu label ^Install Ubuntu 20.04 LSI
>   kernel /casper/vmlinuz
>   append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed only-ubiquity
>   initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0
>   ks=/cdrom/kickstart/ks_server_ubuntu20.cfg ---

AFAIK, neither the ubiquity nor subiquity installers can be used with
kickseed because it was designed to work with d-i.

You'll have to get the 20.04.1 ubuntu-legacy-server ISO to use kickseed.

You might want to look into the subiquity autointall method. I haven't
yet, but it's on my todo list.

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
Thanks Tom

What command do I use to specify the autoinstall file resident on the iso ?
I see examples of getting a file from http  - but I want the file resident on the iso.
Just like this tried to do ks=/cdrom/kickstart/ks_server_ubuntu20.cfg

Thanks

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
HI Tom - Sounds like kickstart commands are "converted" to a preseed file...  how can I take my kickstart file and "convert" that to a preseed ?
perhaps I can use that. I am looking for a command line tool to do that conversion. have not found it yet. Do you know of one?
Or someone it used to be done - How can a grab some source and do that conversion on my current machine to get the preseed and start with that.

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Tom
>
> What command do I use to specify the autoinstall file resident on
> the iso ? I see examples of getting a file from http - but I
> want the file resident on the iso. Just like this tried to do ks=/cdrom/kickstart/ks_server_ubuntu20.cfg

You're welcome.

[1] has instructions to create an ISO with the autoinstall yaml file
that you can point to in addition to the installer ISO. But this isn't
particularly useful if you're not using QEMU.

I could've sworn that when I last looked at this documentation (many
months ago), there were instructions for unpacking an installer ISO,
adding a file, and repacking it.

I remember - vaguely! - that you had to use "ds=nocloud" instead of
"ds=nocloud-net", but I may be misremembering and I can't remember
what the "s=" part looked like. Sorry!

[1] https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/install/autoinstall-quickstart

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
HI Tom - I am also looking at just the preseed.

label LSI
  menu label ^Install Ubuntu 20.04 LSI
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server-minimal.seed initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ---
I have this as the preseed to use - (already present). I get this Menu above when I hit space and select this install - but doesnt seem to do anything.   I still get the screen prompts.

What am I missing?

jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis

Goodness.  Seems like kickstart is no longer, seems like preseed is no longer ... everything scrapped for autoinstall.yaml file.

However I have not found any example of how to put that file "on the iso".  I dont want have it downloaded from some other location.
How do I tell the append line   "append 'autoinstall ds=nocloud-net;s=http://_gateway:3003/':" to look to the CDROM ?

Conversion tools from OLD Kickstart to this yaml file would have been "great". :)
Thanks - trying to work through it.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 9:22 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like kickstart commands are "converted" to a preseed
> file...  how can I take my kickstart file and "convert" that to
> a preseed ?
>
> perhaps I can use that. I am looking for a command line tool to
> do that conversion. have not found it yet. Do you know of one?
>
> Or someone it used to be done - How can a grab some source and
> do that conversion on my current machine to get the preseed and
> start with that.

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kickseed/tree/

I've never used kickseed. I suspect that if you use it, it writes out
a pressed file to "/var/log". Have you checked?

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 9:48 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am also looking at just the preseed.
>
> label LSI
>   menu label ^Install Ubuntu 20.04 LSI
>   kernel /casper/vmlinuz
>   append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-server-minimal.seed
> initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ---
>
> I have this as the preseed to use - (already present). I get this
> Menu above when I hit space and select this install - but doesnt
> seem to do anything. I still get the screen prompts.
>
> What am I missing?

AFAIK, you can't use a pressed file with casper/Ubiquity. I may be
wrong, but I've always used preseed files with d-i only.

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
It just seems all so "confusing"  kickstart and preseed seen dropped in 20.04 LTS but yet - the isolinux/txt.cfg file still has it in there - and does not seem to do anything...
I would have expected autoinstall.yaml files based on server-minimal - and the other examples.

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:48 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Goodness. Seems like kickstart is no longer, seems like preseed
> is no longer ... everything scrapped for autoinstall.yaml file.

subiquity (the server live installer) uses autoinstall in yaml.

I have no idea what ubiquity (the desktop live installer) uses. Maybe
I was wrong earlier, and it uses a preseed file!

> However I have not found any example of how to put that file "on
> the iso". I don't want have it downloaded from some other location.
> How do I tell the append line "append 'autoinstall
> ds=nocloud-net;s=http://_gateway:3003/':" to look to the CDROM ?

Try
ds=nocloud;s=file://...
or
ds=nocloud;s=file:///...

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
Hi Tom,

I tried the below, did not do anything....

I tried isolinux.cfg/txt.cfg
label LSI
  menu label ^Install Ubuntu Server 20.04 LSI
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  append  autoinstall ds=nocloud,s=file:///kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ---

and my autoinstall file: (first attempt)
 more ../kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
version: 1
early-commands:
  - echo a
  - sleep 1
  - echo a
locale: en_US
refresh-installer:
  update: no
debconf-selections: eek
packages:
  - package1
  - package2
late-commands:
  - echo a
  - sleep 1
  - echo a
keyboard:
  layout: en
identity:
  realname: ''
  username: silentm
  password: ubuntu
  hostname: VMImage

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
So when the installer got to the first screen, I did control-alt-f2 to get a console.
I cd /var/log/installer
I vi subiquity-debug.log  and search in there. NOTHING is found about autoinstall from the kernel command line.
It does say loading cloud-init
So it is not seeing my kernel command at all.
I then look at /proc/cmdline and my compete command is there.
autoinstall ds=nocloud,s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml initrd=/casper/initrd biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0

What am I missing to get autoinstall detected and operating ?

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:59 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It just seems all so "confusing" kickstart and preseed seen
> dropped in 20.04 LTS but yet - the isolinux/txt.cfg file still
> has it in there - and does not seem to do anything...
>
> I would have expected autoinstall.yaml files based on
> server-minimal - and the other examples.

I don't know which installer you're using.

If it's the desktop live one, [1] is an explanation of the preseeding
that can be done.

If you use the legacy server installer - d-i based - preseeding (and I
assume kickseeing) - will work. But it's unclear when Ubuntu'll stop
publishing them.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbiquityAutomation

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
I am using the ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:25 AM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I tried the below, did not do anything....
>
> I tried isolinux.cfg/txt.cfg
> label LSI
>   menu label ^Install Ubuntu Server 20.04 LSI
>   kernel /casper/vmlinuz
>   append  autoinstall ds=nocloud,s=file:///kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
> initrd=/casper/initrd quiet splash biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0 ---
>
> and my autoinstall file: (first attempt)
>  more ../kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
> version: 1
> early-commands:
>   - echo a
>   - sleep 1
>   - echo a
> locale: en_US
> refresh-installer:
>   update: no
> debconf-selections: eek
> packages:
>   - package1
>   - package2
> late-commands:
>   - echo a
>   - sleep 1
>   - echo a
> keyboard:
>   layout: en
> identity:
>   realname: ''
>   username: silentm
>   password: ubuntu
>   hostname: VMImage

I've been doing to googling.

[1] has the method to create an ISO with the yaml file.

[2] has an explanation of "ds=...,s=...". It's "file://" not "file:///".

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity/+bug/1869291/comments/4

[2] https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/datasources/nocloud.html

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
I have been searching also.... Have tried many combinations

ds="nocloud;s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml"
ds=nocloud;s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
ds=nocloud,s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml

none of those seemed to make a difference.

I also do not see a /var/log/autoinstall (anything) -

I don't understand why its not going into autoinstall mode ?

Jerry

Re: Does kickstart work on 20.04 LTS

Tom H-4
On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 2:40 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have been searching also.... Have tried many combinations
>
> ds="nocloud;s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml"
> ds=nocloud;s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
> ds=nocloud,s=/cdrom/kickstart/autoinstall_server_ubuntu20.yaml
>
> none of those seemed to make a difference.
>
> I also do not see a /var/log/autoinstall (anything) -
>
> I don't understand why its not going into autoinstall mode ?

I tried the seed.iso method and it worked.

I mounted the live server ISO and unsquashed "casper/installer.squashfs".

The squashfs has the installation yaml in "/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg" to
run the live session. This cannot be the "right" way, but maybe you
can replace it or override it in "/etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d".