Quantcast

Does the backporters team need help?

Clint Byrum-4
Hi. I was just looking and I noticed backport bugs piling up:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports

Once, long ago, I was going to join the effort, but my time for Ubuntu
has been pretty limited. That said, if y'all need help, I can probably
throw an hour at these kinds of things every month or so.

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Clint Byrum-4
Judging by the deafening silence, either they don't read ubuntu-devel,
or the answer is yes.

How can we resolve this?

Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of 2017-04-14 11:30:12 -0700:
> Hi. I was just looking and I noticed backport bugs piling up:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports
>
> Once, long ago, I was going to join the effort, but my time for Ubuntu
> has been pretty limited. That said, if y'all need help, I can probably
> throw an hour at these kinds of things every month or so.

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Scott Kitterman-3
The answer is clearly yes.  I've attempted a few times to pass off backports
to someone new and apparently failed.  I'll be glad spend a few minutes
getting you up to speed, but as I'm not involved in Ubuntu development
anymore, I don't really have time for more than that.

Scott K

On Monday, April 24, 2017 03:31:20 PM Clint Byrum wrote:

> Judging by the deafening silence, either they don't read ubuntu-devel,
> or the answer is yes.
>
> How can we resolve this?
>
> Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of 2017-04-14 11:30:12 -0700:
> > Hi. I was just looking and I noticed backport bugs piling up:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/xenial-backports
> >
> > Once, long ago, I was going to join the effort, but my time for Ubuntu
> > has been pretty limited. That said, if y'all need help, I can probably
> > throw an hour at these kinds of things every month or so.

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Mattia Rizzolo-2
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 06:44:29PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> The answer is clearly yes.  I've attempted a few times to pass off backports
> to someone new and apparently failed.  I'll be glad spend a few minutes
> getting you up to speed, but as I'm not involved in Ubuntu development
> anymore, I don't really have time for more than that.

I also wanted to join the team, and I had a few words with Scott about
that, but then failed at arranging the few minutes he is talking about…

Anyhow, I'm interested in the position just because I'm interested in
backports, but if somebody was to take care of approving the uploads,
etc, I'm more than happy to retract my proposition :)

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Micah Gersten-8

On April 24, 2017 5:51:02 PM CDT, Mattia Rizzolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 06:44:29PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> The answer is clearly yes.  I've attempted a few times to pass off
>backports
>> to someone new and apparently failed.  I'll be glad spend a few
>minutes
>> getting you up to speed, but as I'm not involved in Ubuntu
>development
>> anymore, I don't really have time for more than that.
>
>I also wanted to join the team, and I had a few words with Scott about
>that, but then failed at arranging the few minutes he is talking about…
>
>Anyhow, I'm interested in the position just because I'm interested in
>backports, but if somebody was to take care of approving the uploads,
>etc, I'm more than happy to retract my proposition :)

Yes, indeed, the team could use assistance.  I was on vacation and am catching up on things.  I would be happy to start getting more people involved starting next week.

Thanks,
Micah

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Iain Lane-6
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 07:08:30PM -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:
> Yes, indeed, the team could use assistance.  I was on vacation and am
> catching up on things.  I would be happy to start getting more people
> involved starting next week.

I'm speaking as a member of the backporters team here.

The backports process relies on the small and overworked backports team
manually reviewing, uploading and then accepting uploads based on bug
reports which often come from users and require any amount of cajoling
(either back and forth with the reporter or actually doing the work) to
be uploadable.

The process is set up in such a way that there is a specific list of
things that the requests have to contain, a specific set of meanings for
bug statuses and a very onerous amount of testing required for
non-trivial backports. Any or all of these things can be wrong per the
policy, and they all make it very hard for the backporters team to
manage. A new member might manage to triage some percentage of the bugs,
but I suspect that very quickly they would get burned out with the
process like the rest of us.

I think it's proven to be a poor and unworkable process and it should be
fixed to enable more developer autonomy. That said, I don't have a new
proposal to make right now but I would be interested in trying to work
one out.

Iain Lane                                  [ [hidden email] ]
Debian Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]

Re: Does the backporters team need help?

Clint Byrum-4
Excerpts from Iain Lane's message of 2017-04-25 09:18:31 +0100:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 07:08:30PM -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:
> > Yes, indeed, the team could use assistance.  I was on vacation and am
> > catching up on things.  I would be happy to start getting more people
> > involved starting next week.
>
> I'm speaking as a member of the backporters team here.
>
> The backports process relies on the small and overworked backports team
> manually reviewing, uploading and then accepting uploads based on bug
> reports which often come from users and require any amount of cajoling
> (either back and forth with the reporter or actually doing the work) to
> be uploadable.
>
> The process is set up in such a way that there is a specific list of
> things that the requests have to contain, a specific set of meanings for
> bug statuses and a very onerous amount of testing required for
> non-trivial backports. Any or all of these things can be wrong per the
> policy, and they all make it very hard for the backporters team to
> manage. A new member might manage to triage some percentage of the bugs,
> but I suspect that very quickly they would get burned out with the
> process like the rest of us.
>
> I think it's proven to be a poor and unworkable process and it should be
> fixed to enable more developer autonomy. That said, I don't have a new
> proposal to make right now but I would be interested in trying to work
> one out.

Indeed, it feels a bit heavy weight. I wonder if we could just make it
a little easier to become a backporter if you're already a developer.

That said, I'm happy to help a little bit on the current workload until
we can revamp backports. With Canonical's refocus and staff changes,
I think it's worthwhile for folks like myself to step up and help in
areas we find important.