Drivers for Canyon webcam needed

Мария Рубцова
Hello! I am have buy a webcam named Canyon CNS-CWC6N all will perfect but its dont work with my Ubuntu 20.04. System see microphone, but dont see webcam. Standart Linux drivers dont work, i am try everything, asked on communities but nobody helsp me. And i am found one solution its are https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-media/patch/20201120153055.16803-1-laurent.pinchart@.../ but that are a patch. I am not so pro and cant use patches, for me much easier to get drivers to my Ubuntu. I am sure i am not one who get buy that webcam and drivers for that very needed. That cam are new model. Please help me and many other users. Big thanks!

Сanyon Сn

Re: Drivers for Canyon webcam needed

Stefan Bader-2
On 06.02.21 11:20, Мария Рубцова wrote:
> Hello! I am have buy a webcam named Canyon CNS-CWC6N all will perfect but its
> dont work with my Ubuntu 20.04. System see microphone, but dont see webcam.
> Standart Linux drivers dont work, i am try everything, asked on communities but
> nobody helsp me. And i am found one solution its
> are https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-media/patch/20201120153055.16803-1-laurent.pinchart@.../
> but that are a patch. I am not so pro and cant use patches, for me much easier
> to get drivers to my Ubuntu. I am sure i am not one who get buy that webcam and
> drivers for that very needed. That cam are new model. Please help me and many
> other users. Big thanks!

Thanks for your contribution to make Ubuntu better. Things are, however, not as
simple. As with every software (or collection of) there are usually a lot of
bugs to fix and to keep track of things as well as maintaining stability and
avoid regressions as much as possible, there is a process[1] which changes have
to follow.

For your case this means we first need a proper bug report on Launchpad[2]. You
will need a user account there but it is free and is useful for other things
than just reporting bugs. The easiest way to create a bug report is to run

ubuntu-bug linux

on your computer. This collects some log files and information about your
computer (no personal data) and opens a new bug which you then can add
information to. Most importantly you should add that the patch you are looking
for is now in linux-next:

ommit b400b6f28af040d55b4eb397ea7b8ece368c6b12
Author: Laurent Pinchart <[hidden email]>
Date:   Fri Nov 20 11:57:48 2020 +0100

    media: uvcvideo: Force UVC version to 1.0a for 1bcf:0b40

What does that mean: the most current kernel version that is upstream is right
now v5.11. Once that releases, Linus pulls in changes from linux-next. So there
is a good chance that this patch will be in the upstream v5.12 release.
Being there means also that it has passed review of the upstream subsystem
maintainers which does at least add some reassurance that the change is
acceptable (in the sense of not obviously causing problems).
For us it is important to see when this goes upstream because we not only have
to put this into the kernel that 20.04 released with, but also into any kernel
that is supported and newer. Otherwise there is the risk that people see things
stop working when they upgrade from one series to the next.

-Stefan

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net

Re: Drivers for Canyon webcam needed

Stefan Bader-2
Forwarding private response to the mailing list: