Drop "Ubuntu Desktop USB" task?

Jeremy Bicha-2
There is an "Ubuntu Desktop USB" task and seed that the Ubuntu Desktop
team hasn't maintained in years and would like to drop. I think this
is a legacy from when Ubuntu's ISO's were limited to CD size. "Ubuntu
Desktop USB" is a confusing name, since the regular Ubuntu Desktop
.iso's work just fine on USB sticks.

The task only adds a few extra packages to the regular install, but
the packageset seems odd now. The only apps there are inkscape and
devhelp which could be allowed to be demoted to universe.

Are there any concerns if we drop this task and seed now?

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Drop "Ubuntu Desktop USB" task?

Mark Shuttleworth-2

+1

Mark

On 11/30/2017 06:56 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

> There is an "Ubuntu Desktop USB" task and seed that the Ubuntu Desktop
> team hasn't maintained in years and would like to drop. I think this
> is a legacy from when Ubuntu's ISO's were limited to CD size. "Ubuntu
> Desktop USB" is a confusing name, since the regular Ubuntu Desktop
> .iso's work just fine on USB sticks.
>
> The task only adds a few extra packages to the regular install, but
> the packageset seems odd now. The only apps there are inkscape and
> devhelp which could be allowed to be demoted to universe.
>
> Are there any concerns if we drop this task and seed now?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy Bicha

Re: Drop "Ubuntu Desktop USB" task?

Sebastien Bacher
Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for sending that email. As discussed on IRC "USB" made sense at
the time Ubuntu was fitting on a cdrom, afaik it hasn't been used for
years and should be fine to remove.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher