Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
He started with Mint, then something else
and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
to show up at all. In each OS there is
only ethernet.

Ive not dual booted so Im not sure this is
something normal or what. Though looking
in the mint forums a lot seem to have problems
with this adapter - which has been around a long
time.

We did go through and install broadcom
drivers but it didnt seem to work.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Robert Heller
At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:16:54 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
> He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
> He started with Mint, then something else
> and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
> to show up at all. In each OS there is
> only ethernet.

Broadcom wireless is notoriously hard to get working under Linux (and might
not be possible).

> Ive not dual booted so Im not sure this is
> something normal or what. Though looking
> in the mint forums a lot seem to have problems
> with this adapter - which has been around a long
> time.
>
> We did go through and install broadcom
> drivers but it didnt seem to work.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Gene Heskett-2
On Wednesday 19 September 2018 17:03:11 Robert Heller wrote:

> At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:16:54 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not
for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> > Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
> > He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
> > He started with Mint, then something else
> > and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
> > to show up at all. In each OS there is
> > only ethernet.
>
> Broadcom wireless is notoriously hard to get working under Linux (and
> might not be possible).
>
> > Ive not dual booted so Im not sure this is
> > something normal or what. Though looking
> > in the mint forums a lot seem to have problems
> > with this adapter - which has been around a long
> > time.
> >
> > We did go through and install broadcom
> > drivers but it didnt seem to work.
>
> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

I've given up on broadcom, I have an OLD HP lappy with a BCM4318 radio in
it, and not even the official windows drivers would make a connection
for more than 5 seconds. Got a netgear usb dongle by somebody else, and
it Just Works. On every linux I've installed on it, mint 15 right now
IIRC.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018, 16:25 Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 19 September 2018 17:03:11 Robert Heller wrote:

> At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:16:54 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not
for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> > Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
> > He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
> > He started with Mint, then something else
> > and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
> > to show up at all. In each OS there is
> > only ethernet.
>
> Broadcom wireless is notoriously hard to get working under Linux (and
> might not be possible).
>
> > Ive not dual booted so Im not sure this is
> > something normal or what. Though looking
> > in the mint forums a lot seem to have problems
> > with this adapter - which has been around a long
> > time.
> >
> > We did go through and install broadcom
> > drivers but it didnt seem to work.
>
> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

I've given up on broadcom, I have an OLD HP lappy with a BCM4318 radio in
it, and not even the official windows drivers would make a connection
for more than 5 seconds. Got a netgear usb dongle by somebody else, and
it Just Works. On every linux I've installed on it, mint 15 right now
IIRC.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Well bugger! On then... Ill be checking on a new adapter

At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:31:24 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018, 16:25 Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 19 September 2018 17:03:11 Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Broadcom wireless is notoriously hard to get working under Linux (and
> > > might not be possible).

> > > --
> > > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > > [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
> >
> > I've given up on broadcom, I have an OLD HP lappy with a BCM4318 radio in
> > it, and not even the official windows drivers would make a connection
> > for more than 5 seconds. Got a netgear usb dongle by somebody else, and
> > it Just Works. On every linux I've installed on it, mint 15 right now
> > IIRC.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >
> > --
>

> Well bugger! On then... Ill be checking on a new adapter

Note:

Laptops often use a mini-pci card for the wireless, so *in theory* it might be
possible to swap out the Broadcom wireless mini-pci card, for say, a Intel
wireless mini-pci card.  I have no clue how hard that will be and how many
*little* screws you will have to remove, etc.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

wrote:

> > > I've given up on broadcom, I have an OLD HP lappy with a BCM4318
> > > radio in it, and not even the official windows drivers would make
> > > a connection for more than 5 seconds. Got a netgear usb dongle by
> > > somebody else, and it Just Works. On every linux I've installed on
> > > it, mint 15 right now IIRC.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > > --
> > > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Well bugger! On then... Ill be checking on a new adapter
>
> Note:
>
> Laptops often use a mini-pci card for the wireless, so *in theory* it
> might be possible to swap out the Broadcom wireless mini-pci card, for
> say, a Intel wireless mini-pci card.  I have no clue how hard that
> will be and how many *little* screws you will have to remove, etc.

None, its a plugin card on the left edge. PCMCIA I think its called.  But
when I went looking for a different card I found them scarce, and very
expen$ive, 3 to 4x what the usb dongle from netgear was, and those I was
able to find that would plug directly back in, nearly all had a similar
broadcom radio on them.

That drop of water under the bridge has been recycled a few times since.

Last time I tried to use it, nominally 10 feet from a router with a live
radio in it, one of the neighbors smart phones kept grabbing the routers
radio despite my having dhcpd in the router set to only accept the mac
of the dongle.  And I got a bill from my ISP showing I had used 80GB
more than normal that month.  So I turned the radio off, found it had
been re-enabled a week later. That router got replaced with a gigabit
hub. And a 20 foot piece of cat5 replaced the radio dongle. The radio in
the r-pi running the big lathe has been shut down for the same reason.

Broadcom, spit...

At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:34:42 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 September 2018 18:07:03 Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > At Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:31:24 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not
> for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Well bugger! On then... Ill be checking on a new adapter
> >
> > Note:
> >
> > Laptops often use a mini-pci card for the wireless, so *in theory* it
> > might be possible to swap out the Broadcom wireless mini-pci card, for
> > say, a Intel wireless mini-pci card.  I have no clue how hard that
> > will be and how many *little* screws you will have to remove, etc.
> >
> None, its a plugin card on the left edge. PCMCIA I think its called.  But
> when I went looking for a different card I found them scarce, and very
> expen$ive, 3 to 4x what the usb dongle from netgear was, and those I was
> able to find that would plug directly back in, nearly all had a similar
> broadcom radio on them.

No, the "old" PCMCIA is actualy something *different*.  I think many (most?)
laptops (at least "PC" types), do use an *internal* mini-pci card for the
wireless, but it is "deep" inside and not normally "end-user" accessable -- eg
it is somewhat non-trivial to swap in a different wireless card.  It is really
a kind of motherboard daughter board (it uses a connector something like the
DIMM memory slots).

> That drop of water under the bridge has been recycled a few times since.
>
> Last time I tried to use it, nominally 10 feet from a router with a live
> radio in it, one of the neighbors smart phones kept grabbing the routers
> radio despite my having dhcpd in the router set to only accept the mac
> of the dongle.  And I got a bill from my ISP showing I had used 80GB
> more than normal that month.  So I turned the radio off, found it had
> been re-enabled a week later. That router got replaced with a gigabit
> hub. And a 20 foot piece of cat5 replaced the radio dongle. The radio in
> the r-pi running the big lathe has been shut down for the same reason.
>
> Broadcom, spit...

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Nils Kassube-2
Wade Smart wrote:
> My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
> He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
> He started with Mint, then something else
> and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
> to show up at all. In each OS there is
> only ethernet.

If the wireless isn't available in Windows, it is not a question if
Linux supports the Broadcom chipset, like others suggested. I think you
should check two things:

1. Is there a hardware switch for wireless? At my Toshiba laptop there
is a little slide switch at the front and sometimes I have switched it
off unintendedly.

2. Check the BIOS if there is an entry to enable / disable the wireless.

Nils

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Doug McGarrett

On 09/20/2018 12:18 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Wade Smart wrote:
>> My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
>> Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
>> He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
>> He started with Mint, then something else
>> and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
>> to show up at all. In each OS there is
>> only ethernet.
> If the wireless isn't available in Windows, it is not a question if
> Linux supports the Broadcom chipset, like others suggested. I think you
> should check two things:
>
> 1. Is there a hardware switch for wireless? At my Toshiba laptop there
> is a little slide switch at the front and sometimes I have switched it
> off unintendedly.
>
> 2. Check the BIOS if there is an entry to enable / disable the wireless.
>

> Nils

I agree. I have an old Dell laptop that has such a switch. OTOH, I have
a newer Dell laptop (Dell 6510) that has no such switch, and I can't
seem to make WIFI work on it! Don't know if it has Broadcom, and
haven't tried it on Windows. The older laptop has Broadcom, and it was
hell to get it to work on Linux, but it does. Sensitivity is not great.

--doug

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:34:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>And a 20 foot piece of cat5 replaced the radio dongle.

My Linux PC and my DVB-T2 receiver are connected by Cat.5e, only an
iPad is using wireless, but the router's transmitting power is reduced
to 6% of 100 mW for 2.4 GHz, IOW it should be 6 mW. 5 GHz is disabled,
the minimum for 5 GHz would be 6% of 200 mW or 6% of 1000 mW. If
possible I would reduce transmitting power to less than 6 mW. Likely
somebody in front of the house and surrounding neighbours still get a
weak signal.

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

19 September 2018  at 15:16, Wade Smart wrote:
Dual Boot - wireless hardware not a (at least in part)

>My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
>Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.

I use a broadcom on 18.04.1 (upped from 16.04.5) to get the wifi working this
worked

sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y firmware-b43-installer
sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma
sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe b43

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

20 September 2018  at 6:18, Nils Kassube wrote:
Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware n (at least in part)

>If the wireless isn't available in Windows, it is not a question if
>Linux supports the Broadcom chipset, like others suggested. I think you
>should check two things:

>1. Is there a hardware switch for wireless? At my Toshiba laptop there
>is a little slide switch at the front and sometimes I have switched it
>off unintendedly.

Sometomes it's on a Function key (here IIRC Func+F9)

>2. Check the BIOS if there is an entry to enable / disable the wireless.

I should have raised that also,

On Thursday 20 September 2018 01:26:22 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:34:42 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >And a 20 foot piece of cat5 replaced the radio dongle.
>
> My Linux PC and my DVB-T2 receiver are connected by Cat.5e, only an
> iPad is using wireless, but the router's transmitting power is reduced
> to 6% of 100 mW for 2.4 GHz, IOW it should be 6 mW. 5 GHz is disabled,
> the minimum for 5 GHz would be 6% of 200 mW or 6% of 1000 mW. If
> possible I would reduce transmitting power to less than 6 mW. Likely
> somebody in front of the house and surrounding neighbours still get a
> weak signal.

Because the fcc has mandated that power level considerations here in the
hew ess aye be untouchable by the user, and has set the limits in that
block of code is a black box without any knobs. So we can't turn them
down, only off.

I've done some scans of the 2.4 band, and there are 7 or 8 useable
signals coming in on the pi 3b which is in the garage, with vinyl siding
although the garage door right in the pi's face is alu. The house here
is older, and has alu siding which is several db of shielding but I can
still find at least 4 signals that might be usable. And this is not a
technically trained neighborhood.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
Works fine in Windows, just not on the Ubuntu boot.
There is no hardware switch or fb button.
--

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:20 PM Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wade Smart wrote:
> > My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> > Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
> > He is dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
> > He started with Mint, then something else
> > and now Ubuntu. He cant get the wireless
> > to show up at all. In each OS there is
> > only ethernet.
>
> If the wireless isn't available in Windows, it is not a question if
> Linux supports the Broadcom chipset, like others suggested. I think you
> should check two things:
>
> 1. Is there a hardware switch for wireless? At my Toshiba laptop there
> is a little slide switch at the front and sometimes I have switched it
> off unintendedly.
>
> 2. Check the BIOS if there is an entry to enable / disable the wireless.
>

> Nils

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 19 September 2018  at 15:16, Wade Smart wrote:
> Dual Boot - wireless hardware not a (at least in part)
>
> >My nephew has a Lenovo 80K9 with a
> >Broadcom 4352 wireless adapter.
>
> I use a broadcom on 18.04.1 (upped from 16.04.5) to get the wifi working this
> worked
>
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install -y firmware-b43-installer
> sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma
> sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma
> sudo modprobe -r wl
> sudo modprobe b43

Ill try this this morning. Thanks.
--

Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
I found a intel mini-pci that will fit for $26. Im going to try the code that
Grizzly suggested and if that doesnt work, Ill just get the card for him.

Well, you wrote:

> > > He cant get the wireless
> > > to show up at all. In each OS there is
> > > only ethernet.

Therefore I thought you included Windows with the non-working OS.

As it doesn't work with Linux, there is another option: Does the command

sudo lshw

in a terminal show anything about the Broadcom chipset?

Nils

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 6:58 AM Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wade Smart wrote:
> > Works fine in Windows, just not on the Ubuntu boot.
> > There is no hardware switch or fb button.

> Therefore I thought you included Windows with the non-working OS.
>
> As it doesn't work with Linux, there is another option: Does the command
>
> sudo lshw
>
> in a terminal show anything about the Broadcom chipset?
>

> Nils

       product: BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Broadcom Limited
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       version: 03
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:e4200000-e4207fff memory:e4000000-e41fffff

Wade Smart wrote:
>        product: BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter

At <https://www.bing.com/search?q=BCM4352+linux> this <https://askubuntu.com/questions/590442/how-can-i-install-broadcom-wireless-adapter-bcm4352-802-11ac-pcid-14e443b1-r> was the second result. I hope that works for you as well.

Nils

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
Yea, that is what I found too.
Tired that early on and it didnt work.