Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install -y firmware-b43-installer
> sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma
> sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma
> sudo modprobe -r wl
> sudo modprobe b43

modprobe -r wl  said not found.

I installed bcmwl and still nothing.
Rebooted and under wifi settings: No Wi-Fi Adapter Found.
Ugh.
Well, at least we tried :)

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:42:18 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>modprobe -r wl  said not found.

This doesn't matter, resp. it does matter in so far as...

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ modprobe --help | grep '\-r,'
        -r, --remove                Remove modules instead of inserting

regarding https://wiki.debian.org/wl

sudo modprobe wl

is important. You seemingly need to build the module using DKMS.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/broadcom-sta-dkms

;)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:04 AM Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:42:18 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> >modprobe -r wl  said not found.
>
> This doesn't matter, resp. it does matter in so far as...
>
> [weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ modprobe --help | grep '\-r,'
>         -r, --remove                Remove modules instead of inserting
>
> regarding https://wiki.debian.org/wl
>
> sudo modprobe wl
>
> is important. You seemingly need to build the module using DKMS.
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/broadcom-sta-dkms

DKMS: install completed
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Required key not available.
update-initramfs: deferring update

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:39:42 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>DKMS: install completed
>modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Required key not available.
>update-initramfs: deferring update

https://askubuntu.com/questions/762254/why-do-i-get-required-key-not-available-when-install-3rd-party-kernel-modules

I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's settings, it
automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with and other without
{,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely wrong with this "guess".
My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at all.

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-securityink,-pussytoes,-cornflower,}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.18.8.arch1-1

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:39:42 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> >DKMS: install completed
> >modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Required key not available.
> >update-initramfs: deferring update
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/762254/why-do-i-get-required-key-not-available-when-install-3rd-party-kernel-modules
>
> I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's settings, it
> automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with and other without
> {,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely wrong with this "guess".
> My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at all.

Ive done all Im going to with this until I get a new intel card for him.

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

20 September 2018  at 9:42, Wade Smart wrote:
Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware n (at least in part)

>> sudo apt update
>> sudo apt install -y firmware-b43-installer
>> sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma
>> sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma
>> sudo modprobe -r wl
>> sudo modprobe b43

>modprobe -r wl  said not found.

I get that sometimes, but then it works, sorry it didn't for you

>I installed bcmwl and still nothing.
>Rebooted and under wifi settings: No Wi-Fi Adapter Found.
>Ugh.
>Well, at least we tried :)

Re: Dual Boot - wireless hardware not accessible

Wade Smart-2
> I get that sometimes, but then it works, sorry it didn't for you
Hey, no worries.
Thanks for the help.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 19:04, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's settings, it
> automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with and other without
> {,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely wrong with this "guess".
> My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at all.

It's not a case of whether you use it or not.

It's a setting in your firmware.

That error -- "Required key not available" -- means that the setting is on.

You need to turn it off, then the error should, hopefully, go away,
and your wifi will work.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 19:04, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's settings, it
> > automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with and other without
> > {,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely wrong with this "guess".
> > My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at all.
>
> It's not a case of whether you use it or not.
>
> It's a setting in your firmware.
>
> That error -- "Required key not available" -- means that the setting is on.
>
> You need to turn it off, then the error should, hopefully, go away,
> and your wifi will work.
>

> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Nope. Turned it off, same issue. Reinstalled after purge, same issue.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 12:30:49 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 19:04, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> >
>> > I never used {,U}EFI Secure Boot in my life. IIUC my BIOS's
>> > settings, it automatically could handle multi-boot of some OS with
>> > and other without {,U}EFI Secure Boot, but I might be completely
>> > wrong with this "guess". My Linux multi-boot doesn't use it at
>> > all.
>>
>> It's not a case of whether you use it or not.
>>
>> It's a setting in your firmware.
>>
>> That error -- "Required key not available" -- means that the setting
>> is on.
>>
>> You need to turn it off, then the error should, hopefully, go away,
>> and your wifi will work.
>>

>Nope. Turned it off, same issue. Reinstalled after purge, same issue.

Since Liam seems to have misunderstood what I've tried to point out, I
wonder by what setting you turned off what thingy.

You might need to enable (turn on) UEFI CSM to chose between maybe

UEFI and Legacy to allow booting from operating systems that
support legacy option ROM or UEFI option ROM

Legacy only to allow booting from operating systems that only support
legacy option ROM

UEFI only to allows booting from operating systems that only support
UEFI option ROM

I don't have any experiences with this, non of my Linux do care about
UEFI related things and no other operating systems are installed. There
are no issues with using modules build by DKMS on my machine.