Easier internet configuration

Gianmarco Leone
Hello. I don't actually know if there's a tool out there for this
purpose, but shouldn't the non-plain-ethernet internet connection (for
example PPoE etc..) be easier in ubuntu? I think that simply trying to
catch an ip address via dhcp is not enough on most internet
configurations.
Greetings,
Gianmarco Leone

 Sponsor:

 Problemi di Liquidità? Con Logos Finanziaria 30.000 € in 24 ore a dipendenti e lavoratori autonomi con rimborsi fino a 120 mesi clicca qui

*

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2907&d=25-3

Re: Easier internet configuration

Vassilis Pandis
> I don't actually know if there's a tool out there for this
> purpose, but shouldn't the non-plain-ethernet internet connection (for
> example PPoE etc..) be easier in ubuntu?

I was thinking about this too. I've got a conexant accessrunner USB adsl modem which doesn't show
up in "networking" (should this be a bug report? Ubuntu's kernel is compiled with support for the
accessrunner) so I can't even use that to configure it (pppoatm). I have to run pppd from the
commandline and had to edit the /etc/ppp/ files manually. Naturally, _I_ don't mind, but I can see
how many people would. It would be nice if you could at least manually add stuff to the tool.

Regards,
Vassilis Pandis

Re: Easier internet configuration

John Moser-2

I have yet to actually meet anyone IRL with a DSL modem inside their PC.
 I have heardtell 2 people who have been on freenode had internal DSL
modem cards.

Aside from this, most DSL modems either have a router built-in and get
configured to set up the PPPoE pipe themselves; or hook up to a Linksys
router et al which does PPPoE.  People with one computer and a
straight-out DSL modem are the only ones that really wind up needing
host-based PPPoE; cable modems do flat DHCP.

In short, it's a very unlikely case.

Gianmarco Leone wrote:

> Hello. I don't actually know if there's a tool out there for this
> purpose, but shouldn't the non-plain-ethernet internet connection (for
> example PPoE etc..) be easier in ubuntu? I think that simply trying to
> catch an ip address via dhcp is not enough on most internet
> configurations.
> Greetings,
> Gianmarco Leone
>

>  --
>
>  Email.it, the professional e-mail, gratis per te: http://www.email.it/f
>

>  Sponsor:
>
>  Problemi di Liquidit�? Con Logos Finanziaria 30.000 � in 24 ore a dipendenti e lavoratori autonomi con rimborsi fino a 120 mesi clicca qui
>
> *
>
>  Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2907&d=25-3

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto

Re: Easier internet configuration

Matthew East
<paraphrase> Gianmarco said that setting up PPPoE should be easier in
Ubuntu. </paraphrase>

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:58 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:

> People with one computer and a
> straight-out DSL modem are the only ones that really wind up needing
> host-based PPPoE

There are loads of these people. We get them every day on the italian
support mailing list. He's right that setting them up should be easier
in Ubuntu. Sadly, I don't think it's the sort of thing that is easy to
do.

Gianmarco, if you file a bug and include the model of your modem, that
would be helpful.

p.s. please try to avoid top posting emails, it's easier to follow
threads if you don't.

Matt
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Matthew East wrote:

> <paraphrase> Gianmarco said that setting up PPPoE should be easier in
> Ubuntu. </paraphrase>
>
> On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:58 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
>
>> People with one computer and a
>> straight-out DSL modem are the only ones that really wind up needing
>> host-based PPPoE
>
> There are loads of these people. We get them every day on the italian
> support mailing list. He's right that setting them up should be easier
> in Ubuntu. Sadly, I don't think it's the sort of thing that is easy to
> do.

Well if it's really that important, then it's basically entering a user
name and password.  The rest is all cookie-cutter junk that could be
automated.

Of course in this case we then need network-admin to reflect this stuff,
we need perhaps an Internet wizard to auto-configure it, etc.

> Gianmarco, if you file a bug and include the model of your modem, that
> would be helpful.
>
> p.s. please try to avoid top posting emails, it's easier to follow
> threads if you don't.
>
> Matt

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto

Re: Easier internet configuration

Andrew Zajac

On 4/1/06, John Richard Moser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aside from this, most DSL modems either have a router built-in and get
configured to set up the PPPoE pipe themselves; or hook up to a Linksys
router et al which does PPPoE.  People with one computer and a
straight-out DSL modem are the only ones that really wind up needing
host-based PPPoE; cable modems do flat DHCP.

In short, it's a very unlikely case.

Here in Quebec, Canada, the largest ADSL provider only provides DSL modems to which you connect through pppoe.  Additionally, when I was an ADSL customer, you were not able to obtain their service without renting their modem.  I think the number of people in Quebec who connect to the net using pppoe without any router number in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands.  Most people I know who use that service do not use a router.

To be honest, I though NetworkManager did pppoe for you...

Re: Easier internet configuration

Santiago Roza-2
here in argentina the situation is very similar: many adsl connections
use modems that connect through pppoe.

and it's even worse because most of those modems aren't detected
(out-of-the-box) by any linux distro.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

Re: Easier internet configuration

Matic Ahacic
In Slovenia to :) PPPoe all the way. I have been told that kpppoe is
great app.

But I havent seen any for Gnome

Re: Easier internet configuration

Bugzilla from krzysiek@lichota.net
Santiago Roza napisał(a):
> here in argentina the situation is very similar: many adsl connections
> use modems that connect through pppoe.
>
> and it's even worse because most of those modems aren't detected
> (out-of-the-box) by any linux distro.

The same in Poland. The largest ISP (I estimate a few hundred thousands
customers) is using USB modem with PPPoE.

Regards

        Krzysztof Lichota

Re: Easier internet configuration

Bastian Doetsch
Am Sonntag, den 02.04.2006, 19:38 +0200 schrieb Krzysztof Lichota:

> Santiago Roza napisał(a):
> > here in argentina the situation is very similar: many adsl connections
> > use modems that connect through pppoe.
> >
> > and it's even worse because most of those modems aren't detected
> > (out-of-the-box) by any linux distro.
>
> The same in Poland. The largest ISP (I estimate a few hundred thousands
> customers) is using USB modem with PPPoE.
>
> Regards
>
> Krzysztof Lichota

just for info, afaik in germany all dsl lines face the same problem as
well: t-online, alice, etc. all use dsl modems + line splitter, seldom
with any pppoe functionality built-in.

so it is not an unlikely case, but it seems like most european broadband
providers use this kind of dial-in equipment.

best regards,
bastian

--
"Every thing possible to be believ'd is an image of truth."
- William Blake

Re: Easier internet configuration

Étienne Bersac-3
Hello,

> so it is not an unlikely case, but it seems like most european
> broadband
> providers use this kind of dial-in equipment.
I agree. Luckely, in France, societies ship "box" and their is a real
run about who will ship the most functionnal box (including VoIP,
ADSL, TV, Router, Wifi, etc.). That run was initiated by Free (free.fr).

But a lot of people still use usb modem. Especially out of big towns.

Étienne.

Re: Easier internet configuration

Jan Claeys-3
Op za, 01-04-2006 te 16:45 -0500, schreef John Richard Moser:
> Matthew East wrote:

> > On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:58 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> >
> >> People with one computer and a
> >> straight-out DSL modem are the only ones that really wind up needing
> >> host-based PPPoE
[...]
> Well if it's really that important, then it's basically entering a user
> name and password.  The rest is all cookie-cutter junk that could be
> automated.

Except that some of the more popular models of those ADSL-modems (e.g.
speedtouch here in Belgium) need a binary firmware upload, sometimes
even needing the user to pull the firmware out of the Windows driver...

--
Jan Claeys

--- Jan Claeys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Op za, 01-04-2006 te 16:45 -0500, schreef John Richard Moser: .
> Except that some of the more popular models of those ADSL-modems (e.g.
> speedtouch here in Belgium) need a binary firmware upload, sometimes
> even needing the user to pull the firmware out of the Windows driver...
>
> --
> Jan Claeys

Many greek users have this problem too. At least one major ISP (forthnet.gr) ships a
"crypto F200", which is basically a connexant accessrunner. That modem
is fairly popular in Spain too AFAIK (or was it Portugal? Sorry... ).
Although kernel support is included in Dapper, one has to use a program
from http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net to extract the firmware from the
Windows driver and then copy it to /usr/lib/. After that you have to use
a text editor to set up pppd, and a lot of guesswork is required (IIRC,
there were some VNI or VCI numbers that turned out to be 8 and 35 for
Greece). It would be nice for people if this could be done automatically.

The firmware of course, cannot be distributed. A random
idea would be to include the firmware-extractor in the main distribution,
and if such a modem is detected, pop up a wizard that will tell the user
"Insert the modem driver cd". They would insert the windows cd and a script
could handle searching for the driver, extracting the firmware and installing
it. As far as I can tell, this is legally OK.

FYI: I wrote to Forthnet asking them to distribute "Linux drivers" and to stop
saying that Linux does not support their modem but as you can imagine, they
didn't even bother to tell me to get lost.

Re: Easier internet configuration

Srecko Morovic
Étienne Bersac <bersace03 <at> laposte.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> > so it is not an unlikely case, but it seems like most european
> > broadband
> > providers use this kind of dial-in equipment.
> I agree. Luckely, in France, societies ship "box" and their is a real
> run about who will ship the most functionnal box (including VoIP,
> ADSL, TV, Router, Wifi, etc.). That run was initiated by Free (free.fr).
>
> But a lot of people still use usb modem. Especially out of big towns.

In Croatia provider (kindly) gave a choice between USB and ethernet (PPPoE) ADSL
modems. Of course anyone with a brain picked second. Works flawlessly with
pppoeconf and pon/poff, while other one is PITA to get working, if even possible.