Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Jane Weideman
Hi all,

Management have requested that in order to keep the community at large
up to date with the developments of ed/k/ubuntu, that a concise weekly
(or fortnightly as appropriate) newsletter be put out for each of the
'buntu flavours.

This will serve to give a quick management, and outsider view of
developments and interesting activities for the week, and help to
attract interested contributors into the projects.

Jonathan Riddell has already produced one of these for Kubuntu:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-May/000139.html

We need to find a suitable person to do the same for Edubuntu.

I think the tone should be light and interesting. The person should
understand enough about the technical side to know what is going on and
explain it, but be able to write in a readable and preferably slightly
entertaining way too.

It may make sense to have one person be the editor and assign people to
be in charge of contributions from : technical, documentation,
community, schools, art work etc...

We want people to not only read these, but look forward to getting them
too.

Any takers?

--
JaneW

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Jerome Gotangco-2
Since I've been involved with a lot of technical writing (both pro
bono and paid) for the past 2 years, I would be very happy to start it
up and coordinate with people interested to contribute, although on
the education side, I would prefer to have some guidance.

Jerome G.

--
Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Susan Stewart

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Jerome Gotangco-2
Help would be great. What I was thinking of is split the newletter to
4 major parts

1. Development status
2. Edubuntu Community activities
3. Real-life deployments
4. Deployment/Configuration tips and tricks.

Any more suggestions?

--
Jerome Gotangco
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
Hey Jerome

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:49 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> Since I've been involved with a lot of technical writing (both pro
> bono and paid) for the past 2 years, I would be very happy to start it
> up and coordinate with people interested to contribute, although on
> the education side, I would prefer to have some guidance.

Great :)

I've been thinking about a newsletter for a long time, but I'm way too
committed for something like that, and I've been trying to do less
things that's non technical, since it's distracting me from development
work, something that I really want to do and there's a need for.

Having said that, I'll be more than happy to contribute. I think an
Edubuntu newsletter would be fantastic!!!

Can you create a launchpad team for this?

-Jonathan

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
Very cool!

IMHO, Jerome has been involved in -doc team for quite sometime, as well
as with Edubuntu, and as he also has experience on writing for both pro
bono and paid basis, I'd say he's my candidate #1! :D

Having said that, I'd be very happy to contribute with articles or
writings on less technical areas. The reason? Very simple: Most of the
constant volunteers in Edubuntu come from an ICT studies or background,
while in my case, I work in the ICT field because I like it but have had
no sudies on it.

However, I do have experience on ICT for Education areas. It's is that
field where I feel at home. Helping teachers implement IT, showing
students diff ways to use IT, etc. it is something I totally enjoy, esp.
when I have to explain stuff in a KISS way.

So, please just count on me as a contributor.

So far, 90% of the stuff I am writing are for spanish speakers magazines
related to both ICT and Education, and the hopefully_waking_up ubuntu-cl
people. Nevertheless, I used to do some how-to's writing for MoinMoin
(english) and an argentinian forum.

Best regards,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.

Re: Edubuntu weekly Newsletter

Jordan Mantha
Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> Help would be great. What I was thinking of is split the newletter to
> 4 major parts
>
> 1. Development status
> 2. Edubuntu Community activities
> 3. Real-life deployments
> 4. Deployment/Configuration tips and tricks.
>
> Any more suggestions?

This is just my little suggestion, why don't we make a template wiki
page with the above sections and just let people contribute. The MOTU do
it more or less that way for the MOTU Report. There are enough doc-type
people that I'm sure we can get it pretty polished. Lets make it an
Edubuntu community thing. Then we just need one person to take the wiki
and put it into an email form and get it on fridge, etc.

-Jordan (aka LaserJock)