Enabled 3G in new kernel?

Emilio Jesús Gallego
 Arias
Hi,

I've noticed this

http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=blobdiff;h=54cd8a0d29dfbadc40c447c011cff7199a306add;hp=dd095a0646cf554340a3f87cf5ba594955a61873;hb=ec421b617854bb0ac8b5c7fb9ba9cd92d3d4cc00;f=debian/config/i386/config

enabling the 3/1 split on the newer kernel-image on Ubuntu. The fun
is that it says [UBUNTU:v9fs] Enable on all architectures. I don't see
how's CONFIG_3G related to v9fs.

For one, it breaks lots of virtual machines (Prolog, etc...) we're
using because they need to map more than 1 Gb of memory. Also I think
this change does some other things, like breaking crossover:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/31086

but I cannot confirm it, as I don't use crossover. Nor I could add the
info to the bug report without registering.

I would like to know if Dapper will ship with config_3G enabled,

Thanks,

Emilio

Offtopic note: It's really hard to contribute something to ubuntu bug
tracker when it requires registration and it has no email interface (o
no pointer to that interface), and it's even harder when you are used
to debbugs.

Re: Enabled 3G in new kernel?

Daniel T Chen
Hi,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 03:16:56AM +0100, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias wrote:
> http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=blobdiff;h=54cd8a0d29dfbadc40c447c011cff7199a306add;hp=dd095a0646cf554340a3f87cf5ba594955a61873;hb=ec421b617854bb0ac8b5c7fb9ba9cd92d3d4cc00;f=debian/config/i386/config
>
> enabling the 3/1 split on the newer kernel-image on Ubuntu. The fun
> is that it says [UBUNTU:v9fs] Enable on all architectures. I don't see
> how's CONFIG_3G related to v9fs.

Actually, no, the v9fs config change is at:
http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ec421b617854bb0ac8b5c7fb9ba9cd92d3d4cc00
(see the 'diff' link for the various arches towards the bottom of the
page).

The 3G config change is at:
http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=commit;h=9699b892f9728215da351dbf385e6e677bc0ad50 .

After reading the commit logs (and git log on my local tree), I'm not
sure why 3G was enabled. I presume this was unintentional?

Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Re: Enabled 3G in new kernel?

Emilio Jesús Gallego
 Arias
Hi,

[hidden email] writes:
> Actually, no, the v9fs config change is at:
> http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ec421b617854bb0ac8b5c7fb9ba9cd92d3d4cc00
> (see the 'diff' link for the various arches towards the bottom of the
> page).
>
> The 3G config change is at:
> http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git;a=commit;h=9699b892f9728215da351dbf385e6e677bc0ad50 .

Yes, you are right, I just don't understand this git thing enough :)

> After reading the commit logs (and git log on my local tree), I'm not
> sure why 3G was enabled. I presume this was unintentional?

If it's intended it should be documented in README.Debian or some
prominent place, as it breaks too many setups.

It's not too much burden to recompile a new kernel if you need more
than 1Gb space, but if it's not documented some people can get crazy
debugging until they realize about the change.

Regards,

Emilio

Re: Enabled 3G in new kernel?

Ben Collins-5
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 05:03 +0100, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias wrote:
> If it's intended it should be documented in README.Debian or some
> prominent place, as it breaks too many setups.
>
> It's not too much burden to recompile a new kernel if you need more
> than 1Gb space, but if it's not documented some people can get crazy
> debugging until they realize about the change.

The main reason I was looking into this was because of 1GB laptops
needing sleep/suspend support (which doesn't work when someone has >
768MB of memory).

I can disable it, but my assumption was that the current default that I
had setup was no different than the original system. However, checking
the values, it seems I was wrong. I'll revert this back to the default.
I may retest this with 2GB to see if wine still works.

--
Ben Collins
Kernel Developer - Ubuntu Linux

Re: Enabled 3G in new kernel?

Karl Hegbloom
On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 10:51 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 05:03 +0100, Emilio Jesús Gallego Arias wrote:
> > If it's intended it should be documented in README.Debian or some
> > prominent place, as it breaks too many setups.
> >
> > It's not too much burden to recompile a new kernel if you need more
> > than 1Gb space, but if it's not documented some people can get crazy
> > debugging until they realize about the change.
>
> The main reason I was looking into this was because of 1GB laptops
> needing sleep/suspend support (which doesn't work when someone has >
> 768MB of memory).
>
> I can disable it, but my assumption was that the current default that I
> had setup was no different than the original system. However, checking
> the values, it seems I was wrong. I'll revert this back to the default.
> I may retest this with 2GB to see if wine still works.

I have no trouble suspending and resuming using Suspend2 in my 1GB
laptop.  I also apply the 1G Lowmem patch, so that it does not need
highmem support to see all of the RAM.  I wonder if that patch alone may
fix the legacy suspend for 1GB laptops?

Q: What about laptops with > 1GB?  Some desktop replacement lapwarmers
support 2GB (they use desktop chipsets).  Suspend2 works great on those,
by the way.  ;-)

--
Karl Hegbloom <[hidden email]>