Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

Steve Zatz
I thought that I had seen a configuration menu that let you enable or disable applications like mysql and apache2 at startup but I can't find it, and I may have been imagining things.  I am aware of applications like rcconf but I am wondering if there is a gnome app that allows you to manage startup applications.  I realize that there is a Sessions management menu item under Preferences but that seems (not surprisingly) to manage session-specific applications and not the general startup sequence.

Re: Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

Eamonn Sullivan
On 10/12/05, Steve Zatz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought that I had seen a configuration menu that let you enable or
> disable applications like mysql and apache2 at startup but I can't find it,
> and I may have been imagining things.  I am aware of applications like
> rcconf but I am wondering if there is a gnome app that allows you to manage
> startup applications.  I realize that there is a Sessions management menu
> item under Preferences but that seems (not surprisingly) to manage
> session-specific applications and not the general startup sequence.

On breezy, you can find that under System/Administration/Services.

-Eamonn

Re: Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

David Hart-3
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:45:44PM -0500, Steve Zatz wrote:
> I thought that I had seen a configuration menu that let you enable or
> disable applications like mysql and apache2 at startup but I can't find it,
> and I may have been imagining things.
[snip]

  System -> Administration -> Services

is what I think you're referring to.

>  I am aware of applications like
> rcconf but I am wondering if there is a gnome app that allows you to manage
> startup applications.
[snip]

I use rcconf myself as the applet above doesn't have entries for many
services that I have installed and I can never remember the %&*$^*]
syntax to update-rc.d

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

Steve Zatz
> System -> Administration -> Services
Sitting there right in front  of me.  Thanks.

Re: Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

Seth Hasani
<quote who="Steve Zatz" on Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:45:44PM EST>

> I thought that I had seen a configuration menu that let you enable or
> disable applications like mysql and apache2 at startup but I can't find it,
> and I may have been imagining things.  I am aware of applications like
> rcconf but I am wondering if there is a gnome app that allows you to manage
> startup applications.  I realize that there is a Sessions management menu
> item under Preferences but that seems (not surprisingly) to manage
> session-specific applications and not the general startup sequence.

Another app to try out that I find to be  a little more comprehensive is
called "bum" or Boot Up Manager. It's in universe.
    'sudo aptitude install bum'

Seth

Re: Enabling and Disabling applications at startup

(रेवंत) Revant Nandgaonkar
gksudo services-admin
its under system > administration > services
(it's not as good as bum)

revant

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 04:09:11AM -0500, Seth Hasani wrote:

> Another app to try out that I find to be  a little more comprehensive is
> called "bum" or Boot Up Manager. It's in universe.
>     'sudo aptitude install bum'

Nifty app.  It looks like it'll replace rcconf on my boxen that run X.
Thanks for that :)

And thanks to that I've just found a *gem* of an app at the site of the
author of BUM.

Check out Baobab http://www.marzocca.net/linux/baobab.html

It's a directory tree analyser with a treemap view that'll show you
disk usage with the size of the objects proportional to their actual
size - and a tonne of other useful stuff to help you manage your disk
space usage.

And, if you install the latest version from the site (works for me on
Breezy), it'll use the Gnome VFS so you can analyse a box remotely.
I've just done a 120G disk over ssh in about five minutes.

Better than 'du -sm /path/to/clutter/*' any day!

Thanks again :)

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>