Enabling/disabling boot services

Luca Manganelli
Hi,

I tried to disable that famous "HP printing services" (I have an epson
printer...) by using the application at "System -> Administration ->
Services" but i cannot find it (only the cups service...)

Where is it?

--
"An algorithm must be seen to be believed."
   -- Donald Knuth, in "Fundamental Algorithms"

Re: Enabling/disabling boot services

R Kimber
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:49:16 +0100
Luca Manganelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to disable that famous "HP printing services" (I have an epson
> printer...) by using the application at "System -> Administration ->
> Services" but i cannot find it (only the cups service...)

Is there a setting in /etc/default ?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

On 11/8/05, R Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I tried to disable that famous "HP printing services" (I have an epson
> > printer...) by using the application at "System -> Administration ->
> > Services" but i cannot find it (only the cups service...)
>
> Is there a setting in /etc/default ?

What setting?

Re: Enabling/disabling boot services

Dave S-3
'Forum Post wrote:

>i think you want to install bum using synaptic or apt-get

OK I know this seems drastic, but the following works for stubborn
servicies ie in this case vms - something a service I dont want.

cd /etc/init.d
mv evms _evms

dave

PS and its reversable with

mv _evms evms

Re: Enabling/disabling boot services

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)
Hello.

R Kimber:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:49:16 +0100
> Luca Manganelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I tried to disable that famous "HP printing services" (I have
>> an epson printer...) by using the application at "System ->
>> Administration -> Services" but i cannot find it (only the
>> cups service...)

> Is there a setting in /etc/default ?

Yes - /etc/default/hplip contains the following:

# Set RUN_HPLIP to no (anything starting with an n or N),
# if hplip should not be started (i.e.: RUN_HPLIP=no)

RUN_HPLIP=yes

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
           Get me drunk one evening and get me to talk about Oracle
           and charsets...          -- John Sinteur, hates-software

Re: Enabling/disabling boot services

Derek Broughton-2
Dave S wrote:

> 'Forum Post wrote:
>
>>i think you want to install bum using synaptic or apt-get
>>
> OK I know this seems drastic, but the following works for stubborn
> servicies ie in this case vms - something a service I dont want.
>
> cd /etc/init.d
> mv evms _evms
>
> dave
>
> PS and its reversable with
>
> mv _evms evms

It _is_ drastic.  Just remove /etc/rc2.d/...  Both Gnome & KDE have apps to
do it for you (ksysv on KDE, I don't know what it's called in Gnome).
--
derek

Re: Enabling/disabling boot services

Tim Frost
In breezy, with the Gnome default desktop, you can enable or disable
services with System->Administration->Services, which runs the GUI
(services-admin) using gksudo

Tim

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 09:54 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Dave S wrote:
>
> > 'Forum Post wrote:
> >
> >>i think you want to install bum using synaptic or apt-get
> >>
> > OK I know this seems drastic, but the following works for stubborn
> > servicies ie in this case vms - something a service I dont want.
> >
> > cd /etc/init.d
> > mv evms _evms
> >
> > dave
> >
> > PS and its reversable with
> >
> > mv _evms evms
>
> It _is_ drastic.  Just remove /etc/rc2.d/...  Both Gnome & KDE have apps to
> do it for you (ksysv on KDE, I don't know what it's called in Gnome).
> --
> derek

In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Wade Smart
11092005 1927 GMT-5

Im installing Cabextract and I ran into a little problem:
wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications$ cd cabextract-1.1
wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$ ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$

Am I reading this to mean I need to install a C compiler.

Wade

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Wade Smart
11092005 1940 GMT-5

I was going to install gcc but I see that I already have gcc-4.0-base
installed. Dont I have the compiler?

Wade

Wade Smart wrote:

> 11092005 1927 GMT-5
>
> Im installing Cabextract and I ran into a little problem:
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications$ cd cabextract-1.1
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$ ./configure
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$
>
> Am I reading this to mean I need to install a C compiler.
>
> Wade

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Lionelv
Wade Smart wrote:
> 11092005 1940 GMT-5
>
> I was going to install gcc but I see that I already have gcc-4.0-base
> installed. Dont I have the compiler?

I'm guessing here, but you could perhaps modify configure to look for
gcc-4.0. Otherwise install the gcc compiler. If you have a look in
synaptic you will see there is gcc, gcc-4.0 and a couple of others,
install gcc and you problem should be solved.

Lionel.

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Tim Frost
Wade, Lionel,

gcc-base is  NOT the compiler. It is just a precursor package. There are
two versions of gcc that are standard for breezy:
gcc-4.0 (version = 4.0.1) is the default compiler
gcc-3.4 (version = 3.4.4) is needed to build kernel modules

I would just install gcc-4.0 to build Cab Extract. You may also need to
add the g++ compiler, g++-4.0, if the code is C++ rather than just C.
Installation of the compiler will also install packages that it depends
on, if those packages aren't already installed.

Hope this helps

Tim

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 12:39 +1000, Lionel wrote:

> Wade Smart wrote:
> > 11092005 1940 GMT-5
> >
> > I was going to install gcc but I see that I already have gcc-4.0-base
> > installed. Dont I have the compiler?
>
> I'm guessing here, but you could perhaps modify configure to look for
> gcc-4.0. Otherwise install the gcc compiler. If you have a look in
> synaptic you will see there is gcc, gcc-4.0 and a couple of others,
> install gcc and you problem should be solved.
>
> Lionel.

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

TreeBoy-2
On Thursday 10 Nov 2005 01:29, Wade Smart wrote:

> 11092005 1927 GMT-5
>
> Im installing Cabextract and I ran into a little problem:
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications$ cd cabextract-1.1
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$ ./configure
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> wadesmart@wadesmart:~/Downloads/Applications/cabextract-1.1$
>
> Am I reading this to mean I need to install a C compiler.
>
> Wade

Hello, again Wade.

You should not ever need to compile anything from source!

*Always* try the repo apps first and then, if that fails, try the install from
source. You can always back out of the Debian package, but not always the
"make install".

As it is, if this is for the wine problem dan and I responded to before, then
you don;t need this version. The one in the repos is fine.

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Wade Smart
11102005 1225 GMT-5

The resp apps - that is talking about: sudo apt-get install ie4linux right?

Wade

TreeBoy wrote:

> Hello, again Wade.
>
> You should not ever need to compile anything from source!
>
> *Always* try the repo apps first and then, if that fails, try the install from
> source. You can always back out of the Debian package, but not always the
> "make install".
>
> As it is, if this is for the wine problem dan and I responded to before, then
> you don;t need this version. The one in the repos is fine.
>
> Cheers,

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

Peter Simpson
On Thursday 10 Nov 2005 18:28, Wade Smart wrote:

> 11102005 1225 GMT-5
>
> The resp apps - that is talking about: sudo apt-get install ie4linux right?
>
> Wade
>
> TreeBoy wrote:
> > Hello, again Wade.
> >
> > You should not ever need to compile anything from source!
> >
> > *Always* try the repo apps first and then, if that fails, try the install
> > from source. You can always back out of the Debian package, but not
> > always the "make install".
> >
> > As it is, if this is for the wine problem dan and I responded to before,
> > then you don;t need this version. The one in the repos is fine.
> >
> > Cheers,

The script "ies4linux" is a shell script that configures an already installed
application.

The repo apps I am talking about are wine and cabextract.

(I use "repo" as short for "repository".)

If you enable whichever repos that contain wine and cabextract and then just
"apt-get install wine", you should have everything that you need to run the
ies4linux script that you download from the Brazilian host.

If cabextract is missing, then you should be able to "apt-get install
cabextract" and then run the ies4linux script.

I'm sorry if I caused confusion with my previous post and trust that this is
clearer - but knowing my English, it probably is not.....

Re: In working on installing Cab Extract, Install Problem

hentaidan
On 10/11/05, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 11102005 1225 GMT-5
>
> The resp apps - that is talking about: sudo apt-get install ie4linux right?

Nope, its a small script that you need to download and run from within
a terminal.

You need to get it from http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/

You need to extract the downloaded file; right click on it and
"Extract here" should work.

Then all you should need to do is click on "ies4linux" file and it
should walk you though the install. Make sure you have cabextract
installed first though.

Depending on how many / which versions of IE you choose to install, it
may take a while to download them all, but be patient.

And at the end of it you should have a folder in your home directory
called "bin", in which should be some scripts called ie4, ie5 etc. or
similar. Just click on one of those and Internet Explorer should come
up in all its glory.

[If anything goes wrong, try running from within a terminal, that way
you'll get to see any error messages.

Open up a terminal (Apps | Accessories | Terminal) and type in
/path/to/extracted/files/ie4slinux]

Dan

--
http://www.danicity.co.uk