Error Message From Flash Player (resend)

Error Message From Flash Player (resend)

Jay Ridgley
Good afternoon,

I am having a small problem with flash player (24.0.0.221) running on 64
bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I get the message: Video format or MIMEtype is not supported. When
trying to play Watch SpaceX's Falcon 9... from CNNMoney Videos, or from
any other video.

What is wrong I have tried to search for that message but have found
nothing that is relevant. Some OLD stuff but nothing current.

I did receive one response suggesting that I change my browser... I do
not wish to do so. I ave 2 other systems running 16.04 that function
correctly, however, they are running the 32 bit version

Should I change the flash player to some other version? If so, do I
completely uninstall  24.0.0.221 or just do an unistall?

Thanks,
Jay
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Error Message From Flash Player (resend)

Tommy Trussell

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am having a small problem with flash player (24.0.0.221) running on 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I get the message: Video format or MIMEtype is not supported. When trying to play Watch SpaceX's Falcon 9... from CNNMoney Videos, or from any other video.

What is wrong I have tried to search for that message but have found nothing that is relevant. Some OLD stuff but nothing current.

I did receive one response suggesting that I change my browser... I do not wish to do so. I ave 2 other systems running 16.04 that function correctly, however, they are running the 32 bit version

Should I change the flash player to some other version? If so, do I completely uninstall  24.0.0.221 or just do an unistall?

Most of the time I use the Chromium browser BECAUSE it doesn't have flash in it. Give it a try!

But I opened up Firefox on my 16.04 LTS "Xenial"  system and confirmed that I have the same version of the Adobe Flash player installed that you mentioned. If you must have flash, I don't think you have much choice for functional plugins for Firefox -- Adobe's Flash plugin is probably the only one you'd be happy with.

SO to test your concern, I searched found a video on the CNN Money web site about the SpaceX Falcon 9.

It worked! Here's the specific video I tested:

It plays fine on my version of Firefox with the Flash Player 24.0.0.221 installed.

It also plays fine (after a delay) in Chromium that has NO Flash player installed.

SO the CNN web site is "smart" enough to switch to HTML5, at least for that page.

SO I will posit that you may have some "cruft" (random junk) in your Firefox profile that's making the videos unplayable.

Try this:

1) Close Firefox by choosing File --> Quit

2) In Unity hold down Alt and press the F2 key. In the box that appears, type

firefox -p

[If you're not running Unity, you can open a terminal and execute the same command from there.]

3) Create a new profile, and open the browser using it.

4) See if your video plays now.

5a) If it plays, you have some strangeness in your settings. If it STILL doesn't play, you may have a software issue (packages not completely installed or something). Check your software updates. Maybe something important is missing.

6) Either go back to your original profile OR switch to your new one. You can tell Firefox which profile you want to open by default.

If the settings are crufty, and you don't want to lose your bookmarks or history or whatever, Firefox MAY be able to fix your profile by itself. It might not even lose your settings, though Mozilla can back them up for safekeeping if that worries you (see the Sync option in Preferences).

To get Firefox to clean things up on its own, try this:

1) In Firefox, choose Help --> Troubleshooting Information

2) Click the button that says "Refresh Firefox."

NOTE: I'm not sure it tries hard to preserve crufty stuff as it cleans. Make a backup of your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory, if you're concerned about losing bookmarks or whatever.

P.S.: Other folks were trying to be helpful in suggesting another browser. I agree -- but in general I try to avoid the Adobe Flash Player, because it's frequently a cause of security concerns and crashes and memory issues. Plus it has some serious functional flaws, and Adobe hasn't added any features to the linux version in years. If you need to view video with DRM (Digital Rights Management), DRM frequently won't work with Adobe's linux Flash player, for example. SO I keep Google Chrome installed for when I need Flash to work. Most of the time I stick with Chromium.

But Firefox can work with HTML5 video too. Try uninstalling the Flash player and see if you can still use many of the sites you've been trying. Over time, more and more sites automatically switch to HTML5 when they don't see Flash available.

jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

You may need to update your video codecs packages
Are you having any problems viewing video on You Tube?

Ed
On The Mojave

GNU = Terry Pratchett

On 22 February 2017 at 21:43, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did receive one response suggesting that I change my browser... I do not
> wish to do so.

You could at least tell us what your browser _is_.

On 02/23/2017 07:20 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 22 February 2017 at 21:43, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I did receive one response suggesting that I change my browser... I do not
>> wish to do so.
>

> You could at least tell us what your browser _is_.

Sorry, I thought I had included that it is Firefox 51.0.1.

Regards,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Error Message From Flash Player (resend)

Colin Law
On 23 February 2017 at 13:27, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/23/2017 07:20 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 22 February 2017 at 21:43, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I did receive one response suggesting that I change my browser... I do
>>> not
>>> wish to do so.
>>

>> You could at least tell us what your browser _is_.
>>
> Sorry, I thought I had included that it is Firefox 51.0.1.

Can you post a link to a failing video?

Colin

Re: Error Message From Flash Player (resend) *FIXED*

Jay Ridgley
On 02/23/2017 07:30 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 23 February 2017 at 13:27, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You could at least tell us what your browser _is_.
>>>
>> Sorry, I thought I had included that it is Firefox 51.0.1.
>
> Can you post a link to a failing video?
>
> Colin

Some how some way it now works...

I reinstalled Flash Player and in the process lost my bookmarks and the
Ad Block software. I was able to recover my bookmarks and it now works.
I am going to reinstall the Ad Block software.

If it no longer works I will know why. If it works then I do not know
what happened.

Just returned from installing ad blocker and everything still works.

There must have been something wrong somewhere that got corrected....

Thanks to ALL,
Jay

--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Error Message From Flash Player (resend) *FIXED*

Liam Proven
On 23 February 2017 at 15:29, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> lost my bookmarks

I recommend a tool called XMarks, which syncs bookmarks to an
encrypted online account. You can synchronise between multiple
different browsers on one machine, or across many machines. I've been
using it for over a decade and find it invaluable.

> and the Ad Block software

AdBlock Plus is something of a memory hog and also allows ads from
certain advertisers who pay to be allowed through.

For this reason I have switched all my machines to uBlock Origin,
which seems to cause less of a slowdown.