Error in Packaging Guide

Robert Stoffers
Hi,

Just a quick one, I've picked up an error in the packaging guide, in the
Chroot appendix. The method listed for installing and setting up locales for
the chroot results in it just defaulting to C, throwing up lots of warnings
whist using your chroot. To fix this, one needs to install a language pack
also.

I've also removed the redundant dpkg-reconfigure locales, as this isn't needed
once you install a language pack, its done for you post install anyway.

Patch attached.

Cheers,

Robert Stoffers
--
Member, Ubuntu Linux - http://www.ubuntu.com
Staff, Freenode IRC Network- http://www.freenode.net

appendix.xml.patch (758 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Error in Packaging Guide

Daniel T Chen

Re: Error in Packaging Guide

Jordan Mantha
Daniel T. Chen wrote:
> rob wrote:
>>> Just a quick one, I've picked up an error in the packaging guide, in the
>>> Chroot appendix. The method listed for installing and setting up locales for
>>> the chroot results in it just defaulting to C, throwing up lots of warnings
>>> whist using your chroot. To fix this, one needs to install a language pack
>>> also.
>
> Nice catch.

Yes, I realized this problem a little too late for dapper unfortunately.

>>> I've also removed the redundant dpkg-reconfigure locales, as this isn't needed
>>> once you install a language pack, its done for you post install anyway.
>
> Right. Each of the language-pack-$locale-base packages depends on
> locales anyway, so explicitly installing locales via $apt can be
> omitted, too.

I need to have another look at this section and the section about
setting up sudo. Infinity seemed to think it was all wrong so I want to
just nail this down with the devs to make sure.

-Jordan Mantha

Re: Error in Packaging Guide

Jordan Mantha
rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick one, I've picked up an error in the packaging guide, in the
> Chroot appendix. The method listed for installing and setting up locales for
> the chroot results in it just defaulting to C, throwing up lots of warnings
> whist using your chroot. To fix this, one needs to install a language pack
> also.
>
> I've also removed the redundant dpkg-reconfigure locales, as this isn't needed
> once you install a language pack, its done for you post install anyway.
>
> Patch attached.

Thanks Rob! I've applied it in rev. 3183 .

-Jordan Mantha