Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Jonathan Carter
Hi

I'm trying to make etherboot (without PXE emulation) to work in Edubuntu.

I've replaced in dhcpd.conf:

"""
filename "/ltsp/pxelinux.0";
"""

with

"""
# trick from Peter Rundle <[hidden email]>, borrowed from
K12LTSP
if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient"
{
  filename "/ltsp/pxelinux.0";
}
else
{
  filename "/ltsp/vmlinuz";
}
"""

When the etherboot thin client boots, it says that the kernel is an
invalid image. When I copy the K12LTSP vmlinuz.ltsp to /var/lib/tftpboot
and change the kernel name to vmlinuz.ltsp in dhcpd.conf, it loads the
kernel fine.

Any ideas on what could be different between the ubuntu kernel and the
LTSP.org kernel that could cause the one to work and the other not?

-Jonathan

Re: Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Jean-Francois CLEMENT
Hi,

first, why you don't want make PXE emulation ?
Have you look at :
http://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDocumentation/BootingClientsWithoutPxe ?

regards

Jeff.

--
Jean-Fran├žois CLEMENT
I.3.S - LaTIM Inserm U650

Re: Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Jonathan Carter
Hi Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois CLEMENT wrote:
> first, why you don't want make PXE emulation ?
> Have you look at :
> http://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDocumentation/BootingClientsWithoutPxe ?

Because we're currently running 140 schools that boot using an etherboot
image on a boot-rom that doesn't support PXE emulation, and booting from
floppy is generally not a good idea (floppies get lost or broken). And
these machines don't have hard drives so zlilo isn't possible either
(and even if it were, boot-roms are still less maintenance).

I asked on #ltsp yesterday and it seems that we need an mknbi patched
kernel. I'll look into that again this weekend.

-Jonathan

Re: Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On So, 2005-11-06 at 17:43 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> I'm trying to make etherboot (without PXE emulation) to work in Edubuntu.
> I've replaced in dhcpd.conf:
> filename "/ltsp/pxelinux.0";
you shouldnt edit the files by hand, if you have mknbi (from universe)
installed to generate the etherboot image, sudo ltsp-update-kernels
should automatically generate a etherboot image instead of pxe ...

i couldnt test this yet, but was just given two etherboot NICs by jim
McQuillan from the ltsp guys, i'll start playing with them as soon as
i'm back in germany...

ciao
        oli

Re: Etherboot on Ubuntu LTSP

Edward Holcroft

On 07 Nov 2005, at 6:52 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> On So, 2005-11-06 at 17:43 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
>> I'm trying to make etherboot (without PXE emulation) to work in
>> Edubuntu.
>> I've replaced in dhcpd.conf:
>> filename "/ltsp/pxelinux.0";
> you shouldnt edit the files by hand, if you have mknbi (from universe)
> installed to generate the etherboot image, sudo ltsp-update-kernels
> should automatically generate a etherboot image instead of pxe ...

Will this functionality be included in Edubuntu by default in some
release down the line - without having to run any additional
routines, that is.

> i couldnt test this yet, but was just given two etherboot NICs by jim
> McQuillan from the ltsp guys, i'll start playing with them as soon as
> i'm back in germany...

That's very decent of them.

cheers
ed