Etiquette for a Newbie

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Etiquette for a Newbie

mh-dixon
If this is a bit confused please bear with me.

Ubuntu documentation is vast and (at first) quite daunting for anyone attempting to make a contribution to its upkeep. 
This is not a bug, or a complaint!
Is there any overview Index, Map, or whatever as a complement to the Search facility, which might help one locate a desired subject? 
There were emails, in the past, which covered the editing of replies to reduce space and improve clarity of communication and
more recently on forms of address (Hi :-)   for all, @Martin for an individual, etc)


Reference, in the past, has been made (Re: Ubuntu Documentation - Getting Started ) to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/temp_Manual      
and more recently to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
the latter link, for me, results in - This page does not exist yet. You can create a new empty page, or use one of the page templates.
which may be one and the same, but for very sensible reasons the latter is hidden or restricted. 

Is it practicable to include a page in, or associated with Getting Started which covers the communication points
raised in the posts on the editing and addressing of emails referred to above?

 
I do appreciate that Getting Started is meant to be short and pithy and that there are many individual approaches to both these subjects.

Martin

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Etiquette for a Newbie

John Kim-2
2013년 08월 28일 01:24, Martin Dixon 쓴 글:
If this is a bit confused please bear with me.

Ubuntu documentation is vast and (at first) quite daunting for anyone attempting to make a contribution to its upkeep. 
This is not a bug, or a complaint!
Is there any overview Index, Map, or whatever as a complement to the Search facility, which might help one locate a desired subject? 
There were emails, in the past, which covered the editing of replies to reduce space and improve clarity of communication and
more recently on forms of address (Hi :-)   for all, @Martin for an individual, etc)


Reference, in the past, has been made (Re: Ubuntu Documentation - Getting Started ) to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/temp_Manual      
and more recently to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
the latter link, for me, results in - This page does not exist yet. You can create a new empty page, or use one of the page templates.
which may be one and the same, but for very sensible reasons the latter is hidden or restricted. 

Is it practicable to include a page in, or associated with Getting Started which covers the communication points
raised in the posts on the editing and addressing of emails referred to above?

 
I do appreciate that Getting Started is meant to be short and pithy and that there are many individual approaches to both these subjects.

Martin


Yeah, is the GettingStarted page [1] still not open for the rest of the public yet? I get a similar "This page does not exist yet" error.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted

-- 
John Kim
Student / Pylang maintainer
www.launchpad.net/pylang
[hidden email]

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Etiquette for a Newbie

Doug Smythies

On 2013.08.28 06:32 John Kim wrote:
> 2013년 08월 28일 01:24, Martin Dixon 쓴 글:
>> Reference, in the past, has been made (Re: Ubuntu Documentation
>> - Getting Started ) to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/temp_Manual
>> and more recently to
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
>> the latter link, for me, results in - This page does not exist yet.
>> You can create a new empty page, or use one of the page templates.
>> which may be one and the same, but for very sensible reasons the
>> latter is hidden or restricted.  

> Yeah, is the GettingStarted page [1] still not open for the rest of the public yet? I get a similar "This page does not exist yet" error.
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted 

The link of John's [1] has only ever been proposed, nobody has ever said the
page was actually there yet (which it is not).

And there are a couple of counter proposals to put it at [2] or [3].

[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGettingStarted 
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGuide

Stay tuned to the main thread on that subject.



--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Etiquette for a Newbie apology

mh-dixon
Hi (: please accept another apology - this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
is obviously a red herring and I should have realised it as such from the recent discussion.
Martin

On 28/08/13 16:01, Doug Smythies wrote:

> On 2013.08.28 06:32 John Kim wrote:
>> 2013년 08월 28일 01:24, Martin Dixon 쓴 글:
>>> Reference, in the past, has been made (Re: Ubuntu Documentation
>>> - Getting Started ) to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/temp_Manual
>>> and more recently to
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
>> Yeah, is the GettingStarted page [1] still not open for the rest of the public yet? I get a similar "This page does not exist yet" error.
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted 
> The link of John's [1] has only ever been proposed, nobody has ever said the
> page was actually there yet (which it is not).
>
> And there are a couple of counter proposals to put it at [2] or [3].
>
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGettingStarted 
> [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGuide
>
> Stay tuned to the main thread on that subject.
>
>
>


--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Etiquette for a Newbie apology

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
No need to apologise!  It is being worked on and that is causing unavoidable confusion.  It's good to have new people joining to help drive things out of their confused state or at least push us into re-assessing how things are right now.  You'll notice Doug's post drives towards this although i tend to get muddled by the order of his to-do's.  I will probably get used to it though. 

Also don't worry about the etiquette.  Just use what makes sense to you and hopefully we all arrive at better ways in the future as a result.  Hopefully the ideas i got from other lists helps rather than restricts. 
Regards from
Tom :) 



From: Martin Dixon <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 August 2013, 16:14
Subject: Re: Etiquette for a Newbie apology

Hi (: please accept another apology - this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
is obviously a red herring and I should have realised it as such from the recent discussion.
Martin

On 28/08/13 16:01, Doug Smythies wrote:

> On 2013.08.28 06:32 John Kim wrote:
>> 2013년 08월 28일 01:24, Martin Dixon 쓴 글:
>>> Reference, in the past, has been made (Re: Ubuntu Documentation
>>> - Getting Started ) to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/temp_Manual
>>> and more recently to
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
>> Yeah, is the GettingStarted page [1] still not open for the rest of the public yet? I get a similar "This page does not exist yet" error.
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/GettingStarted
> The link of John's [1] has only ever been proposed, nobody has ever said the
> page was actually there yet (which it is not).
>
> And there are a couple of counter proposals to put it at [2] or [3].
>
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGettingStarted
> [3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGuide
>
> Stay tuned to the main thread on that subject.
>
>
>


--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc



--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Etiquette for a Newbie apology

Doug Smythies

On 2013.08.28 09:21 Tom Davies wrote:

> No need to apologise!

+1

> It is being worked on and that is causing unavoidable confusion.

+1 The thread has gone on way too long, and yes it has become very confusing.

> You'll notice Doug's post drives towards this although i tend to get muddled
> by the order of his to-do's.  I will probably get used to it though.

Huh? My To-Do list was very clear!!! (Just joking)

Yes, it is confusing (I just re-read it), and perhaps not fair to ask
Phill to do it. I'll take care of it in a few hours. We were trying for consensus,
but now I'm just going to force an end to it.

... Doug



--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Etiquette for a Newbie apology

Phill Whiteside
Hi,

it's no problem for me to do! just let me know the < copy from> link and the <copy to> link. (I've had nightmares in the past with a rename!).

Regards,

Phill.


On 28 August 2013 20:50, Doug Smythies <[hidden email]> wrote:

On <a href="tel:2013.08.28%2009" value="+12013082809">2013.08.28 09:21 Tom Davies wrote:

> No need to apologise!

+1

> It is being worked on and that is causing unavoidable confusion.

+1 The thread has gone on way too long, and yes it has become very confusing.

> You'll notice Doug's post drives towards this although i tend to get muddled
> by the order of his to-do's.  I will probably get used to it though.

Huh? My To-Do list was very clear!!! (Just joking)

Yes, it is confusing (I just re-read it), and perhaps not fair to ask
Phill to do it. I'll take care of it in a few hours. We were trying for consensus,
but now I'm just going to force an end to it.

... Doug

--
ubuntu-doc mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc