Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

david-5
Folks

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS with Postfix and Dovecot to
replace a server that was running Centos.  I also use Eudora 7 on my
Windows desktop as a mail client (yes, I know it's old, but it's
still the best).  Eudora works in centos 7 and 8, but does not work
in Unbutu (using TLS, Alternate Port).  The server log complains:

==> mail.log <==
Jan  6 09:15:04 beid dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth
attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=45.27.31.63, lip=168.103.47.84, TLS
handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:14209102:SSL
routines:tls_early_post_process_client_hello:unsupported protocol,
session=<Jlo+oD245A8tGx8/>

Eudora claims to be using
  DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA TLSv1
and from what I can tell, that is supported in OpenSSL 1.1.1f.

I'm not sure where to look to figure out what to do.  Any advice
would be appreciated.  Please, let's not have a discussion of "you
should be using mail client xxxx".

David

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 08:17 -0800, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS with Postfix and Dovecot to
> replace a server that was running Centos.  I also use Eudora 7 on my
> Windows desktop as a mail client (yes, I know it's old, but it's
> still the best).  Eudora works in centos 7 and 8, but does not work
> in Unbutu (using TLS, Alternate Port).  The server log complains:

Evolution on my Mint 20 desktop says it's talking to my Dovecot on my
Ubuntu 20.04 server using IMAP / TLS on a dedicated port (993)

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

david-5
At 08:40 AM 1/6/2021, David Fletcher wrote:

>On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 08:17 -0800, david wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS with Postfix and Dovecot to
> > replace a server that was running Centos.  I also use Eudora 7 on my
> > Windows desktop as a mail client (yes, I know it's old, but it's
> > still the best).  Eudora works in centos 7 and 8, but does not work
> > in Unbutu (using TLS, Alternate Port).  The server log complains:
>
>Evolution on my Mint 20 desktop says it's talking to my Dovecot on my
>Ubuntu 20.04 server using IMAP / TLS on a dedicated port (993)

Yes, I know that the Ubuntu dovecot works because I ran a different
mail client as a test and it worked perfectly.  I strongly suspect
that Eudora is using some 'older' protocol which Dovecot on Centos
allows but Dovecot on Ubuntu does not.  The version numbers of
Dovecot are similar:

Ubuntu 20.04.1:  Dovecot 2.3.6.2
Centos8: Dovecot 2.3.8
Ubuntu 20.10: Dovecot 2.3.11

David

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

Chris Green
On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 08:51:14AM -0800, david wrote:

> At 08:40 AM 1/6/2021, David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 08:17 -0800, david wrote:
> > > Folks
> > >
> > > I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS with Postfix and Dovecot to
> > > replace a server that was running Centos.  I also use Eudora 7 on my
> > > Windows desktop as a mail client (yes, I know it's old, but it's
> > > still the best).  Eudora works in centos 7 and 8, but does not work
> > > in Unbutu (using TLS, Alternate Port).  The server log complains:
> >
> > Evolution on my Mint 20 desktop says it's talking to my Dovecot on my
> > Ubuntu 20.04 server using IMAP / TLS on a dedicated port (993)
>
> Yes, I know that the Ubuntu dovecot works because I ran a different mail
> client as a test and it worked perfectly.  I strongly suspect that Eudora is
> using some 'older' protocol which Dovecot on Centos allows but Dovecot on
> Ubuntu does not.  The version numbers of Dovecot are similar:
>
> Ubuntu 20.04.1:  Dovecot 2.3.6.2
> Centos8: Dovecot 2.3.8
> Ubuntu 20.10: Dovecot 2.3.11

Firefox has just started complaining about sites which are using TLS
1.0 or TLS 1.1 saying that the next version won't support these.  Are
you maybe getting caught by the same issue?

--
Chris Green

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

Wade Smart-2
I was just looking for something totally different and I saw this:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/eudora-7-1-0-9-runs-amok-with-2m-copies-of-same-email/

Notice the TLS comments that Chris was talking about.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

david-5
At 09:05 AM 1/6/2021, Wade Smart wrote:

>I was just looking for something totally different and I saw this:
>
>https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/eudora-7-1-0-9-runs-amok-with-2m-copies-of-same-email/
>
>Notice the TLS comments that Chris was talking about.
>--
>Registered Linux User: #480675
>Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>Linux since June 2005
>
>-- \\

I'm aware of that size limit, and am well below it in all my folders.
David

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2021, 08:17 -0800 schrieb david:

> and from what I can tell, that is supported in OpenSSL 1.1.1f.

well ...

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/default-to-tls-v1-2-in-all-tls-libraries-in-20-04-lts/12464

ciao
        oli

Re: Eudora, Dovecot, 20.04 LTS

david-5
At 10:33 AM 1/6/2021, you wrote:

>hi,
>Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2021, 08:17 -0800 schrieb david:
> >
> > and from what I can tell, that is supported in OpenSSL 1.1.1f.
> >
>well ...
>
>https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/default-to-tls-v1-2-in-all-tls-libraries-in-20-04-lts/12464
>
>ciao
>         oli