Evolution address book & calendar sync - laptop -> desktop

Evolution address book & calendar sync - laptop -> desktop

Steven Heimann
I am trying to set up a system to syncronise my address book and
calendar in Evolution between my desktop and my laptop.

Multisync seems to be the answer but I can only get it to work when I
have access to both keyboards concurrently.  (Often the laptop is at
home and the desktop at work)  Has anyone had any success using this or
any other setup?

I have set up multisync on both machines as follows

Desktop sync pair : Evolution 2 -> Syncml with syncml in accept
connection mode
Laptop sync pair :  Syncml -> Evolution with syncml in connect to syncml
server mode.

I have set up matching usernames and passwords.

It seems to me that I should be able to leave multisync running on the
desktop and just select sync on the laptop and it will syncronise the
address book and calendar.

It will work, but only sometimes, and only if I first press sync on the
laptop and then press sync on the desktop.  This is pretty useless if
you don't have physical access to both machines at the same time.

I am also having trouble understanding the multisync setup options.  In
the main syncronisation pair configuration screen you can select you can
select calendar/ address book and tasks.  These options seem also
selectable under the options screen for the evolution connector.  Does
anyone know what effects these options have and does one override the
other?

I can't find any useful documentation and the multisync mailing list
archives look pretty useless so I thought I would try here.

I have temporarily solved the problem by copying the relevant files from
one computer to the other but this is not very elegant and not really
suitable for my users who I am weaning off Windows and Lotus Notes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Steven

Re: Evolution address book & calendar sync - laptop -> desktop

Olafur Arason
What you can do is use Evolution 2 -> Backup
And then push that change up to a webserver either by mounting
it with FUSE or something like that, there are a lot of diffrent
solutions and they depend on your access to server and your
ability to setup server your self. Then you do the same on the
other end Backup -> Evolution 2. And remember to turn on auto.
You can also use the start hidden options under Options and then
adding multisync to System->Preferences->Session->Starup Programs

Hope this helps.

Olafur Arason