Expanding logout dialogue

Henrik Nilsen Omma-2
I'm with Matt and Vincent who think that there are simply too many
options on the logout dialogue, so I though I would try making an
expanding one where you hide some of the less common options.

Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-logout.png

We are now down to 3+3 options (I removed Lock screen as it appears in
the System menu directly)

There is also some logic to the placement of the buttons in that the
icons that appear in the same column are somewhat related in function or
severity.

  - Henrik

--
http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.theopencd.org

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Henrik Nilsen Omma-2
Matthew East wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:24 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
>> I'm with Matt and Vincent who think that there are simply too many
>> options on the logout dialogue, so I though I would try making an
>> expanding one where you hide some of the less common options.
>>
>> Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-logout.png
>
> Very nice idea, well done for removing Lock Screen. All in all, awesome.

Thanks. I also forgot to mention that the expansion should remember its
state so that if you expand it and then shut down, log out or whatever,
it will appear in the expanded state next time. That way if people
regularly use sleep or hibernate they can have those options visible by
default if they want to.

  - Henrik

--
http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.theopencd.org

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On wo, 2006-04-05 at 11:24 +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-logout.png

Very nice!
--
Dennis K.
 - Linux for human beings - http://www.ubuntu.com

Re: Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Étienne Bersac-3
Hello,

>>> Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-
>>> logout.png
>> Very nice idea, well done for removing Lock Screen. All in all,
>> awesome.
>
> the expansion should remember its state

Excellent !

I support this dialog. :)

Étienne.

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Julian Oliver
..on Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:24:48AM +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:

> I'm with Matt and Vincent who think that there are simply too many
> options on the logout dialogue, so I though I would try making an
> expanding one where you hide some of the less common options.
>
> Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-logout.png
>
> We are now down to 3+3 options (I removed Lock screen as it appears in
> the System menu directly)
>
> There is also some logic to the placement of the buttons in that the
> icons that appear in the same column are somewhat related in function or
> severity.

yes i prefer this. when people are logging out they aren't sitting down,
their getting up to leave. the last thing you want is to be presented
with a wide array of choices.

that said the icons in your mockup themselves still look terrible
together.

julian

--
         _        _                  _
 ___ ___| |___ __| |_ _ __  __ _ _ _| |__ ___

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Daniel Holbach-2
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 05.04.2006, 11:24 +0100 schrieb Henrik Nilsen Omma:
> Mock-up: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/collapsing-logout.png

while I like the idea, I have a question: Would the Alt-<Something> key
combinations still work, even if it's collapsed?

Another thing I sense might be difficult: enlarging and shrinking the
dialogue with the collapse-thingie might be problematic with the already
faded-out background.

Sorry to have nothing more than concerns to offer.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Sandis Neilands
Hello!

On 4/5/06, Sebastien Estienne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Henrik Nilsen Omma <[hidden email]>
> Also logout and switch user may be quite useless for single user
> usecase: logout because why would log out, when you can just lock
> screen, and switch-user because you are the only user

As for logout, what if you want to log in kde or xfce? To start them
upon running gnome wouldn't be the nicest thing right?

--
Sandis

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Petr Tomeš
2006/4/5, Sebastien Estienne <[hidden email]>:
> On a related note, why would we display "switch user" if we know that
> there is only 1 user exisiting on the system?

I also think this icon and related function is nonsense for most users
and for this reason should be removed. It should be displayed and used
only if they are more users accounts on the system.

Petr Tomeš

Re: Expanding logout dialogue

Mark Shuttleworth
Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
I'm with Matt and Vincent who think that there are simply too many options on the logout dialogue, so I though I would try making an expanding one where you hide some of the less common options.
Guys, while I appreciate all the discussion, you'll need to carry on without me from here on. In my mind the die is cast for Dapper, and I'm happy to revisit this with you at the next dev summit in person, and discuss concrete proposals then. But I'm not going to change the dialog further for Dapper.

Best bet will be for someone from the art team / desktop team to take charge of organising a single wiki page with proposals, comments for and against etc, so that we can review them all in a single session at the post-Dapper dev summit. Henrik, I think this is a good thing for Erik or someone else from the community to coordinate.

Mark