External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Liam Proven
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 21:36, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The usual reason: didn't think it relevant at the time.

:facepalm:

> Bum! Your advice renders my objective unreachable with an external touchpad. I did see your point made in other posts too, and hence it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge this.

Yes, and AFAICR you didn't ask before now. You also never told us the
model of your old laptop and you've not told us that about the new one
-- so if for instance it does have a toggle control for the pointing
device, we can't tell you.

> I'm sure the solution is completely effective and will give me precisely what I want.

You say "you're sure", which implies to me that you haven't actually tried it.

Have you tried it?

If not: why not?

> A couple of questions that come to mind about this solution are these: First, why do I have to implement this myself?

It's Linux. It's an OS for people who fix things themselves and go
digging for answers. You repeatedly asked for guidance, albeit not in
a specific way -- see my comment about model numbers, or about asking
for buying advice -- but ISTM that you've not actually acted on the
advice.

Am I wrong?

> Shouldn't Ubuntu automatically support touchpad disablement like any other self respecting OS?

I do not know of any OS of any form which automatically disables
hardware, so: no.

Windows does not automatically disable trackpads. I have 3 or 4
laptops with Windows on, one Windows Thin PC (i.e. Win7 but still in
support) and the other Win10. None do this. I have 2 Apple laptops;
macOS doesn't do it either.

What I _think_ you are asking about is what Apple calls "accidental
trackpad input."

This _used_ to be an option -- see:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/210936/how-to-disable-accidental-trackpad-input-in-yosemite/262149

Now it is no longer, because it's automatic and on by default:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201822

MacOS also has an option to automatically disable the internal
pointing device if an external pointing device is attached:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/getting-trackpad-to-ignore-touches-while-typing.2103667/

This is possible on Ubuntu:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/787433/how-do-i-disable-touchpad-when-using-a-mouse/1050387

https://ostechnix.com/automatically-disable-touchpad-when-external-mouse-is-connected-in-ubuntu/

The fact that you have not used a more specific term in the 3 years
that you've been asking suggests to me that you haven't researched
this yourself, but if it bothers you that much, honestly I find that a
remarkable, hard-to-believe conclusion. Is it the case?

>  Second, some touchpad manufacturers had a disablement feature built into the touchpad itself - neither the BIOS nor the OS were involved when the user wanted to turn their touchpad off and back on. Why remove this feature?

It does. This is a built-in Ubuntu feature and you have been told
exactly where to find it and how to use it. Also, there could well
_also_ be a firmware feature too. Have you looked? Have you tried
refining your search terms and using other words?


--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Bob
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 23:52, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems to me that people are making this more complicated than it really is.
>
> I have :xinput disable 15" (find the device ID using xinput list) in my
> .profile and a small bash script to toggle the touchpad enable/disable.
> Assigning that simple command to a key combination should be very easy.

Um. With respect, that is _not_ a simple solution and not one that I
could suggest to anyone but a highly-technically-skilled user.

--
Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Tue, 22 Dec 2020
00:52:54 +0100

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 23:52, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that people are making this more complicated than it really is.
> >
> > I have :xinput disable 15" (find the device ID using xinput list) in my
> > .profile and a small bash script to toggle the touchpad enable/disable.
> > Assigning that simple command to a key combination should be very easy.
>
> Um. With respect, that is _not_ a simple solution and not one that I
> could suggest to anyone but a highly-technically-skilled user.

When it comes to linux I am NOT a highly-technically-skilled user.

The bash script I got off the internet to toggle the touchpad enable/disable
does not work on my system.  I hard coded the device ID to get it to work,
after a few days I think I have figured out why it does not work.  Now I am
trying to figure how to fix the code so it will work properly (I am not a bash
programmer).

--
Robert Blair


What one person receives without working for...another person must work for without receiving. -- Adrian Rogers

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Owen Thomas
In reply to this post by Liam Proven

On Tue., 22 Dec. 2020, 10:53 am Liam Proven, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 21:36, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bum! Your advice renders my objective unreachable with an external touchpad. I did see your point made in other posts too, and hence it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge this.

Yes, and AFAICR you didn't ask before now.

Indeed. I made an assumption that some astute reader picked up on. I have been corrected.

You also never told us the
model of your old laptop and you've not told us that about the new one
-- so if for instance it does have a toggle control for the pointing
device, we can't tell you.

As my question concerns an external touchpad and not a laptop computer, I didn't find it necessary.


> I'm sure the solution is completely effective and will give me precisely what I want.

You say "you're sure", which implies to me that you haven't actually tried it.

Have you tried it?

I have. I tried Colin's suggestion in a CLI window and found the command worked as intended until of course I switched focus to another window. But you know why this would be so, so I'm not going to say anything more.

> A couple of questions that come to mind about this solution are these: First, why do I have to implement this myself?

It's Linux. It's an OS for people who fix things themselves and go
digging for answers. You repeatedly asked for guidance, albeit not in
a specific way -- see my comment about model numbers, or about asking
for buying advice -- but ISTM that you've not actually acted on the
advice.

Am I wrong?

Yes, Liam, I would have to assert you are in error with this advice. Many people use Ubuntu because it has no cost barrier. Many of these people have lives that involve pursuits that do not include writing scripts or playing with hotkey configurations. I'm one such person. I am so averse to fiddling with configuration minutiae that I have done not much to correct a situation that has persisted at least about five years. I can do this with impunity.

The fact that you have not used a more specific term in the 3 years
that you've been asking suggests to me that you haven't researched
this yourself, but if it bothers you that much, honestly I find that a
remarkable, hard-to-believe conclusion. Is it the case?

The exasperation you feel is due merely to my not living up to your expectations. I am free not to live up to your expectations, and so the only further advice I can give you in relation to your expectations is to lower them and free yourself of this exasperation.

>  Second, some touchpad manufacturers had a disablement feature built into the touchpad itself - neither the BIOS nor the OS were involved when the user wanted to turn their touchpad off and back on. Why remove this feature?

It does. This is a built-in Ubuntu feature and you have been told
exactly where to find it and how to use it. Also, there could well
_also_ be a firmware feature too. Have you looked? Have you tried
refining your search terms and using other words?

I think I've investigated firmware and BIOS options; perhaps you can prove me wrong and in so doing, show me something that will work. That would help, and I would thank you.

Other than this, your above advice did not address the question I put. The question concerned the fact that about ten years ago, I observed a touchpad that had a feature built into the touchpad device; not the laptop to which it was affixed. One could disable the touchpad simply by using this feature. I wanted to know why this feature was removed.

Toggling touchpad sensitivity with these touchpads made ten years ago did not involve any consideration with reference to firmware or to scripts or hotkey assignments. To the user, it's benefit was obvious, and I'm sure that its removal would have frustrated thousands of other similarly observant users.

  Owen.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Colin Law
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 08:01, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have. I tried Colin's suggestion in a CLI window and found the command worked as intended until of course I switched focus to another window. But you know why this would be so, so I'm not going to say anything more.

I don't know why this would be so, and it does not do that for me,
perhaps you could explain why it should be so.   For me the synclient
command sets it for all windows and even survives a reboot (I think, I
need to double check that).  So perhaps you could re-confirm that if
you run
synclient touchpadoff=1
whether it disables the touchpad and also re-confirm whether that
sticks if you change the focus.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett


On Mon, Dec 21, 2020, 1:16 PM Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Colin,

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 20:47, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
It does, it is, oddly enough, in Settings > Mouse & Touchpad, but I
thought you wanted to enable/disable it with hotkeys or a switch or
something like that rather than the trouble of going into the
settings.

Settings looks quite useful. Is there any official documentation for it, from an end-users point of view?
Googling for "Ubuntu settings" didn't find

For what it's worth, I have a Dell laptop. Turn off the track pad in settings; touch screen still works; plug in my drawing tablet, works. Not an external TouchPad but same drivers I think.

If you need to toggle the built in then you'll have to configure it

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Volker Wysk


On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
    xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
fi


I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:

xinput --disable 13

Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:

$xinput --list-props 13

Any thoughts?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Bob
** Reply to message from "P. Echols" <[hidden email]> on Tue, 22 Dec 2020
18:16:01 -0800

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > fi
> >
> >
> I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles
> containing the command:
>
> xinput --disable 13
>
> Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04,
> this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't
> work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact
> device name as shown by:
>
> $xinput --list-props 13
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> > <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>

I am running Ubuntu 20.10 and the touchpad has ID of 15,  Run "xinput list" to
see what ID the touchpad has, it may have changed.  Another thing that I have
noticed is that in the 'xinput list' is that the touchpad is not listed as such
it is shown using the model number of the device.

--
Robert Blair


In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.  -- Voltaire  (1764)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Volker Wysk
In reply to this post by P. Echols
Am Dienstag, den 22.12.2020, 18:16 -0800 schrieb P. Echols:

>
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > fi
> >
>
> I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles
> containing the command:
>
> xinput --disable 13
>
> Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04,
> this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't
> work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact
> device name as shown by:
>
> $xinput --list-props 13
>
> Any thoughts?
But the "13" is the right device ID, is it ("xinput --list")?

On my laptop, I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 too, and it works...

Bye,
Volker

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Volker Wysk
In reply to this post by P. Echols
Am Dienstag, den 22.12.2020, 18:16 -0800 schrieb P. Echols:

>
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > fi
> >
>
> I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:
>
> xinput --disable 13
>
> Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:
>
> $xinput --list-props 13
>
> Any thoughts?
Are you happening to run Wayland? If so, you could try it with X. You should
be able to select the one in your display manager (the login screen).

Bye
Volker

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Colin Law
In reply to this post by P. Echols


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 02:17 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
    xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
fi


I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:

xinput --disable 13

Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:

$xinput --list-props 13

Any thoughts?

Does the synclient command work?

Colin


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Bob
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 7:17 PM Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> ** Reply to message from "P. Echols" <[hidden email]> on Tue, 22 Dec 2020
> 18:16:01 -0800
>
> > On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> > >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > > fi
> > >
> > >
> > I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles
> > containing the command:
> >
> > xinput --disable 13
> >
> > Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04,
> > this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't
> > work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact
> > device name as shown by:
> >
> > $xinput --list-props 13
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > > <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.10 and the touchpad has ID of 15,  Run "xinput list" to
> see what ID the touchpad has, it may have changed.  Another thing that I have
> noticed is that in the 'xinput list' is that the touchpad is not listed as such
> it is shown using the model number of the device.
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Bob


On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 7:17 PM Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> ** Reply to message from "P. Echols" <[hidden email]> on Tue, 22 Dec 2020
> 18:16:01 -0800
>
> > On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> > >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > > fi
> > >
> > >
> > I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles
> > containing the command:
> >
> > xinput --disable 13
> >
> > Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04,
> > this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't
> > work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact
> > device name as shown by:
> >
> > $xinput --list-props 13
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > > <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.10 and the touchpad has ID of 15,  Run "xinput list" to
> see what ID the touchpad has, it may have changed.  Another thing that I have
> noticed is that in the 'xinput list' is that the touchpad is not listed as such
> it is shown using the model number of the device.
>
> --
>

Yes, 13.  My script originally had 12, but changed.  Output of $xinput list:

Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DELL073B:00 06CB:7E7D Mouse                 id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DELL073B:00 06CB:7E7D Touchpad              id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Raydium Corporation Raydium Touch System    id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]

One thing that is interesting is that $ xinput --disable 11 works to kill the touch screen, but 13 does not work for the pad.  Also, the following output of xinput --list-props

patton@Spock:~/scripts$ xinput --list-props 13 | grep -n -1 "Enabled"
1-Device 'DELL073B:00 06CB:7E7D Touchpad':
2: Device Enabled (168): 1
3- Coordinate Transformation Matrix (170): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
patton@Spock:~/scripts$ xinput --list-props 13 | grep -n -1 "Enabled"
1-Device 'DELL073B:00 06CB:7E7D Touchpad':
2: Device Enabled (168): 0
3- Coordinate Transformation Matrix (170): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

The first one is with pad working, the second after manually turning off using the settings in the GUI.  Note that "enabled" goes from 1 to 0, so 13 is the correct.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Colin Law


On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 02:17 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
    xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
fi


I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:

xinput --disable 13

Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:

$xinput --list-props 13

Any thoughts?

Does the synclient command work?

Colin


Thanks Colin,
No synclient does not appear to work


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Colin Law


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 08:25 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 02:17 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
    xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
fi


I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:

xinput --disable 13

Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:

$xinput --list-props 13

Any thoughts?

Does the synclient command work?

Colin


Thanks Colin,
No synclient does not appear to work

Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for your mother board.

Colin




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Volker Wysk


On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:32 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 22.12.2020, 18:16 -0800 schrieb P. Echols:
>
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > fi
> >
>
> I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:
>
> xinput --disable 13
>
> Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:
>
> $xinput --list-props 13
>
> Any thoughts?

Are you happening to run Wayland? If so, you could try it with X. You should
be able to select the one in your display manager (the login screen).



I had been running unity (I've grown accustomed to the interface}  Switching to Ubuntu, not Wayland, solves this particular problem. 

I assume Unity is using Wayland?  Do you know if it is possible to use the unity desktop, but not wayland?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols
In reply to this post by Colin Law


On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:39 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 08:25 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, 02:17 P. Echols, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
    xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
fi


I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:

xinput --disable 13

Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:

$xinput --list-props 13

Any thoughts?

Does the synclient command work?

Colin


Thanks Colin,
No synclient does not appear to work

Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available for your mother board.

Colin

Thanks, as mentioned in my reply to Volker, switching to Ubuntu, non wayland works and now both synclient and my script with xinput work as desired. 
I assume that unity uses Wayland as does the default desktop.  Seems like there should be a way to control these devices from CLI / script when using wayland. 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Volker Wysk
In reply to this post by P. Echols
Am Mittwoch, den 23.12.2020, 00:42 -0800 schrieb P. Echols:

>
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:32 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 22.12.2020, 18:16 -0800 schrieb P. Echols:
> > >
> > >
> > > On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 8:04 AM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > > Hi!
> > > >
> > > > <snip>
> > > >
> > > > if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0" ]; then
> > > >     xinput --disable "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"
> > > > fi
> > > >
> > >
> > > I have been doing something similar on my laptop. A script that toggles containing the command:
> > >
> > > xinput --disable 13
> > >
> > > Where 13 is the xid of the TouchPad.  Now that i have upgraded to 20.04, this no longer works.  In fact the command typed in a terminal doesn't work. Neither does it work formulated as Volcker suggests, using the exact device name as shown by:
> > >
> > > $xinput --list-props 13
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Are you happening to run Wayland? If so, you could try it with X. You should
> > be able to select the one in your display manager (the login screen).
> >
> >
>
> I had been running unity (I've grown accustomed to the interface}  Switching to Ubuntu, not Wayland, solves this particular problem.  
>
> I assume Unity is using Wayland?  Do you know if it is possible to use the unity desktop, but not wayland?
Sorry, I don't know. It was just a shot in the dark.

Bye,
Volker

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Colin Law
In reply to this post by P. Echols
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 08:50, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, as mentioned in my reply to Volker, switching to Ubuntu, non wayland works and now both synclient and my script with xinput work as desired.
> I assume that unity uses Wayland as does the default desktop.  Seems like there should be a way to control these devices from CLI / script when using wayland.

No, Unity does not use Wayland.  Also I do not think that Wayland is
the default for Ubuntu.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

P. Echols


On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 2:17 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 08:50, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, as mentioned in my reply to Volker, switching to Ubuntu, non wayland works and now both synclient and my script with xinput work as desired.
> I assume that unity uses Wayland as does the default desktop.  Seems like there should be a way to control these devices from CLI / script when using wayland.

No, Unity does not use Wayland.  Also I do not think that Wayland is
the default for Ubuntu.

Colin

Hmm, Ok.  Well there is something going on with Unity as implemented in this laptop that is preventing xinput and synclient from disabling the touchpad.  I've switched to the Gnome on Xorg in display manager and it works fine.  I don't prefer this implementation of gnome, But I resisted Unity when it came out.  I guess I'll get used to it.

Thanks again,
Patton

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
123