External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Owen Thomas
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 01:11, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
synclient touchpadoff=1

I have just taken receipt of my next computer (a Dell Latitude 5511 on which Ubuntu 20.04 has been upgraded by me from 18.04 which was installed by Dell), and have attempted to run the command you have suggested from a CLI window. After installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, the following response is given: Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

After finding this link, i first removed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, restarted my new laptop and then reinstalled. Alas, nothing, so I decided to remove and reinstall before restarting, and viola. No only can I disable my touchpad, but the setting sticks when the focus leaves the CLI window. So, I guess I'm relatively good now. I'll let you know if I have any issue associating hotkeys.

Thanks.

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Colin Law
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 03:49, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 01:11, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> synclient touchpadoff=1
>

> I have just taken receipt of my next computer (a Dell Latitude 5511 on which Ubuntu 20.04 has been upgraded by me from 18.04 which was installed by Dell), and have attempted to run the command you have suggested from a CLI window. After installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, the following response is given: Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
>
> After finding this link, i first removed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, restarted my new laptop and then reinstalled. Alas, nothing, so I decided to remove and reinstall before restarting, and viola. No only can I disable my touchpad, but the setting sticks when the focus leaves the CLI window. So, I guess I'm relatively good now. I'll let you know if I have any issue associating hotkeys.

Interestingly when I google that error I find links suggesting that
Gnome doesn't use the synaptics drivers any more, using libinput
instead, the result being that synclient no longer works.  So I am not
sure what is going on.

Colin

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 09:44, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had been running unity (I've grown accustomed to the interface}

Me too. I just upgraded my last 18.04 machine to 20.04 yesterday and I
still far prefer it.

>  Switching to Ubuntu, not Wayland, solves this particular problem.

You are mixing up 3 totally different things here.

[1] Wayland is a display server. It's the thing that lets Linux draw
graphics on the screen. There are 2 alternatives: Wayland or X, also
known as X.11 or X.org. Wayland is not a desktop.

[2]  There is no desktop called "Ubuntu". The entry on your login
screen merely refers to Ubuntu's customisation of GNOME.

[3] The desktops here are GNOME or Unity. That's it. Nothing else.
There's plain un-customised GNOME, Ubuntu-customised GNOME, or there's
Unity.

I have noticed that when you upgrade an older Ubuntu installation, the
login screen can get confused and show "Ubuntu" and "GNOME" as
separate items, but they lead to the same thing.

In this case there are really only 3 choices, but possibly with
duplicate entries:

• GNOME on X.11
• GNOME on Wayland
• Unity

I'm omitting numbers because I don't know what order they may be in on
your computer.

> I assume Unity is using Wayland?  Do you know if it is possible to use the unity desktop, but not wayland?

No. Wayland did not exist yet when Unity was written. Unity only runs on X.11.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 at 19:59, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gnome doesn't use the synaptics drivers any more, using libinput
instead, the result being that synclient no longer works.  So I am not
sure what is going on.

Assigned hotkeys ctrl+super+A to disable, ctrl+super+Z to enable using synclient. This appears satisfactory.

From the man page, synclient cannot return the current value of a setting, so assigning a toggle function to a single key isn't possible. (?) Maye it is possible with other solutions given in this thread - I'll look back over it later.

Thanks for this suggestion Colin. I know it was made a while ago, but I really was hanging out for a solution that didn't involve the OS. It is bemusing to see, 1: a good feature removed from the touchpad device for a perverse reason I cannot grasp, and 2: that the feature doesn't look like being reintroduced any time soon.

  Owen.

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 14:17, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is bemusing to see, 1: a good feature removed from the touchpad device for a perverse reason I cannot grasp, and 2: that the feature doesn't look like being reintroduced any time soon.

Neither of which is the fault of Ubuntu.

Re: External touchpad for Ubuntu?

Owen Thomas
The solution I have implemented seems only to disable mouse movement, not button clicks.

Too weird.