FATAL: debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source

FATAL: debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source

TJ-17
A few minutes ago I was tempted to find out whether
debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source might be useful in uploading test
kernels to my personal PPA.

An initial error report made me interrupt the script and go hunting for
the cause:

cp: missing destination file operand after `../last-ppa-upload'
Try `cp --help' for more information.
^C

I spent a while hunting down where $(ppa_file) comes from before
thinking to check the git-log, whereupon I got a nasty shock:

git log -- debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source
error: object directory /home/all/SourceCode/linux/linux-2.6/.git/objects does not exist; check .git/objects/info/alternates.
error: Could not read 4a6908a3a050aacc9c3a2f36b276b46c0629ad91
fatal: cannot simplify commit 94cba110c064e49b437fe482dbbcb6f7b3a652d4 (because of 4a6908a3a050aacc9c3a2f36b276b46c0629ad91)

After some confusion I realised that the main linux-2.6/ directory had
gone - cue that sinking feeling that I tried to avoid on Friday 13th!

I have my kernel source repositories organised on a common root:

/home/all/SourceCode/linux/

./linux-2.6
# tracks Linus's tree and contains remotes from various other trees
# (linux-pci, x86-tip, etc.)

./ubuntu-jaunty
./ubuntu-intrepid
./ubuntu-hardy
# etc...

Each of these trees are initialised using a reference to ./linux-2.6 to
avoid needless duplication.

After some wondering as to where/why ./linux-2.6/ had disappeared and
wondering if this was an ext4 file-system issue I thought back to the
last significant action - prepare-ppa-source.

Looking at the script I discovered this gem:

rm -rf ../linux* include/config .config

I can't see why that wild-card is needed but it is certainly fatal and
unexpected!

The tragedy here is that the ./linux-2.6/ repository contained my PCI
IOMEM system as well as a host of other branches for bug-fixes.

Any ideas how to recover ext4 data!? /home/all/SourceCode is a separate
ext4 file-system in a LV so I've unmounted it for now to preserve the
state.

Re: FATAL: debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source

Amit Kucheria-6
On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 01:11:35AM +0000, TJ wrote:

<snip>

> I spent a while hunting down where $(ppa_file) comes from before
> thinking to check the git-log, whereupon I got a nasty shock:
>
> git log -- debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source
> error: object directory /home/all/SourceCode/linux/linux-2.6/.git/objects does not exist; check .git/objects/info/alternates.
> error: Could not read 4a6908a3a050aacc9c3a2f36b276b46c0629ad91
> fatal: cannot simplify commit 94cba110c064e49b437fe482dbbcb6f7b3a652d4 (because of 4a6908a3a050aacc9c3a2f36b276b46c0629ad91)
>
> After some confusion I realised that the main linux-2.6/ directory had
> gone - cue that sinking feeling that I tried to avoid on Friday 13th!

<snip>

> rm -rf ../linux* include/config .config
>
> I can't see why that wild-card is needed but it is certainly fatal and
> unexpected!
>
> The tragedy here is that the ./linux-2.6/ repository contained my PCI
> IOMEM system as well as a host of other branches for bug-fixes.

That is very unfortunate!

> Any ideas how to recover ext4 data!? /home/all/SourceCode is a separate
> ext4 file-system in a LV so I've unmounted it for now to preserve the
> state.

I recall reading a rather elaborate article on recovering ext3 files and the person ended up writing a utility to do so. I believe it should apply to ext4 too but YMMV.

http://lwn.net/Articles/273276/

Good luck. Hopefully you've literally disconnected the disk since that deletion.

/Amit

Re: FATAL: debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source

TJ-17
Having done some investigation it looks as if this script can be removed
from the repository.

It relies on a make variable - ppa_file - and forces the
debian/changelog release to "hardy" for all changelog entries using a
global sed replacement.

I looked back through the older release repositories and it seems that
the script was originally added to the Hardy repository along with the
supporting make variables in debian/rules.d/0-common-vars.mk:

ppa_file := $(CURDIR)/ppa_build_sha
is_ppa_build := $(shell if [ -f $(ppa_file) ] ; then echo yes; fi;)

This code has gone from the Intrepid and Jaunty repositories.

Re: FATAL: debian/scripts/misc/prepare-ppa-source

Tim Gardner-2

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-hardy.git;a=commit;h=f669e8e4b9ddf916a52ae5051f3dd88cd7c97f05

--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]