FLV Video Problem

Nigel Verity
Hi

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 and have recently lost the ability to play FLV video files, regardless of their source. The files themselves play perfectly when I copy them to another machine with the same version of the OS, so it's not a corruption problem.

Clearly I have somehow deleted or damaged the appropriate codecs or associated files. Can anybody advise on which objects to check and/or reinstall?

VLC displays an error message saying the format is not recognised. Mplayer just does nothing. However, Handbrake is still able to convert the file to MP4.

Thanks very much

Nige

Re: FLV Video Problem

Liam Proven
On 6 January 2014 10:45, Nigel Verity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 and have recently lost the ability to play FLV
> video files, regardless of their source. The files themselves play perfectly
> when I copy them to another machine with the same version of the OS, so it's
> not a corruption problem.
>
> Clearly I have somehow deleted or damaged the appropriate codecs or
> associated files. Can anybody advise on which objects to check and/or
> reinstall?
>
> VLC displays an error message saying the format is not recognised. Mplayer
> just does nothing. However, Handbrake is still able to convert the file to
> MP4.

FLV means Flash video. You need Adobe Flash Player installed, I reckon.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: FLV Video Problem

andres

Liam Proven <[hidden email]> escribió:

>On 6 January 2014 10:45, Nigel Verity <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 and have recently lost the ability to play
>FLV
>> video files, regardless of their source. The files themselves play
>perfectly
>> when I copy them to another machine with the same version of the OS,
>so it's
>> not a corruption problem.
>>
>> Clearly I have somehow deleted or damaged the appropriate codecs or
>> associated files. Can anybody advise on which objects to check and/or
>> reinstall?
>>
>> VLC displays an error message saying the format is not recognised.
>Mplayer
>> just does nothing. However, Handbrake is still able to convert the
>file to
>> MP4.
>

>FLV means Flash video. You need Adobe Flash Player installed, I reckon.

I would by reinstalling vlc see if it has any package missing as you suggest.
I don't think you need adobe, gnash should play it as well.
--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

Re: FLV Video Problem

Jools Wills
> I would by reinstalling vlc see if it has any package missing as you suggest.
> I don't think you need adobe, gnash should play it as well.

flv is a container format. may contain Sorenson Spark, vp6, h264 for
video and mp3/aac etc for audio.

any player that uses the ffmpeg (or libav) libraries will be able to
play them back, so it is likely to be a missing dependency/library.

Best Regards

Jools

Re: FLV Video Problem

John Oliver
It'd odd that handbrake would work but mplayer wouldn't as if I recall correctly handbrake uses mencoder  for its encoding operations. Perhaps you should try reinstalling mencoder?