Failed booting from USB stick

Bugzilla from tanghus@gmail.com
Hi

I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted and
selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the built-in
boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying something like
"Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of the boot system is a bit
rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the files
correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Failed booting from USB stick

On Thursday 15 April 2010 23:35:11 Thomas Olsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
> unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted and
> selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the built-in
> boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying something like
> "Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of the boot system is a
> bit rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
> Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the
> files correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)

Or is it because the stick is ext3 instead of ext2?

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Failed booting from USB stick

Eric Jackson-5
Thomas Olsen wrote:

> On Thursday 15 April 2010 23:35:11 Thomas Olsen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
>> unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted and
>> selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the built-in
>> boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying something like
>> "Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of the boot system is a
>> bit rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
>> Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the
>> files correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)
>
> Or is it because the stick is ext3 instead of ext2?

Sorry but I'm curious. Why does it make a difference if it's ext3 or ext2?

Eric Jackson

On Friday 16 April 2010 00:07:56 Eric wrote:

> Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 April 2010 23:35:11 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
> >> unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted
> >> and selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the
> >> built-in boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying
> >> something like "Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of
> >> the boot system is a bit rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
> >> Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the
> >> files correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)
> >
> > Or is it because the stick is ext3 instead of ext2?
>
> Sorry but I'm curious. Why does it make a difference if it's ext3 or ext2?

Just tried and it made no difference. Somehow my flaky memory told me that it
might but that was either years ago or I was just wrong...

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Failed booting from USB stick

Goh Lip-2
On 04/16/2010 05:35 AM, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
> unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted and
> selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the built-in
> boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying something like
> "Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of the boot system is a bit
> rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
> Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the files
> correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)

Did the grub menu come up during start up? If no,try to go to grub menu
by pressing 'shift' key during start up.

At grub menu, go to command prompt (press'c'), and type
search -f /vmlinuz

check output, (as example here, say...hd0,3 and hd2,1)
type 'esc' to go back to menu and at first entry, enter 'e' to edit

(in this example.... only)
if the entry shows (hd1,1),  change that to (hd2,1) and sdb1 to sdc1

Alt + x to boot.

When booted, at terminal
sudo update-grub
check if changes is effected at /boot/grub/grub.cfg

note: usb 'notations' tends to change, eg
      hd2,1 may become hd3,1 etc especially with multi- usb readers.
      Also will change if plugged into different computers.

Regards - Goh Lip
--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

On Friday 16 April 2010 06:01:45 Goh Lip wrote:

> On 04/16/2010 05:35 AM, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I just downloaded Lucid Beta 2 and transferred it to a USB stick using
> > unetbootin after usb-creator-kde/gtk both failed miserably. I rebooted
> > and selected "Boot from USB drive" (or whatever it's called) from the
> > built-in boot menu. The system started to boot but then failed saying
> > something like "Unable to find kernel image 'linux'". My knowledge of
> > the boot system is a bit rusty but isn't the kernel called vmlinuz?
> > Is this an error in the ISO image or did unetbootin fail to transfer the
> > files correctly? Or perhaps an error 40 ;-)
>
> Did the grub menu come up during start up? If no,try to go to grub menu
> by pressing 'shift' key during start up.
>
> At grub menu, go to command prompt (press'c'), and type
> search -f /vmlinuz
>
> check output, (as example here, say...hd0,3 and hd2,1)
> type 'esc' to go back to menu and at first entry, enter 'e' to edit
>
> (in this example.... only)
> if the entry shows (hd1,1),  change that to (hd2,1) and sdb1 to sdc1
>
> Alt + x to boot.
>
> When booted, at terminal
> sudo update-grub
> check if changes is effected at /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> note: usb 'notations' tends to change, eg
>       hd2,1 may become hd3,1 etc especially with multi- usb readers.
>       Also will change if plugged into different computers.

When holding down the shift key it goes directly to a "boot:" prompt. When not
holding it down it first complains about missing kernel image "linux" and then
goes to the "boot:" prompt.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Failed booting from USB stick

Goh Lip-2

Okay, at boot prompt, (grub prompt? with a grub> ? ), type
search -f /vmlinux

check output, (as example here, say...hd0,3 and hd2,1)

Then type....
linux (hd2,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc1 ro
initrd (hd2,1)/initrd.img
boot

more clarifications........need this at root=/dev/sdc1 above
(hd1,1) is sdb1
(hd2,1) is sdc1
(hd3,1) is sdd1

When booted, at terminal
sudo update-grub
check if changes is effected at /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Good luck - Goh Lip

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Failed booting from USB stick

Goh Lip-2
> Okay, at boot prompt, (grub prompt? with a grub> ? ), type
> search -f /vmlinux

Very sorry, should be....

search -f /vmlinuz

On Friday 16 April 2010 14:16:00 [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

This tries to find kernel image "search" ;-) (I figured out the vmlinux=vmlinuz)

> check output, (as example here, say...hd0,3 and hd2,1)
>
> Then type....
> linux (hd2,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc1 ro
> initrd (hd2,1)/initrd.img
> boot

When I try to run:

linux (hd1,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro

it tries to find kernel image "linux" which doesn't exist. If I try to run:

/casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro

it starts to boot the kernel that I can also see if I just normally mount the
USB stick, but then the kernel panics because it cannot find /dev/sdb1 and
tells me to supply a proper root argument (BTW: I wonder why they call the dir
casper?). It suggests sda1, sda2, sda3 (my only HD) and sr0. I then tried
with:

/casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sr0 ro

but the kernel still panics telling me the root argument is invalid and that
it cannot find sr0 device.

> Good luck - Goh Lip

Thanks for all the efforts - I'm on the brink of giving up getting this to work
but it would be cool to have a portable linux-on-a-stick system. Luckily my
CD-rw that I thought was toast decided to wake up to life again so at least
I'm able to burn and boot new install discs.

On 04/16/2010 09:27 PM, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> On Friday 16 April 2010 14:16:00 [hidden email] wrote:

You're right. you've got a *livecd installation* at your usb not a
normal install. To get a normal install , install like normal but put in
the usb partition.

But...again, I personally think it's not worthwhile to set kubuntu at
usb. The transfer speed for usb transfer is too slow to make it any fun.
A leaner distro like knoppix, puppy or dsl may be okay and fun to take
around, but I've not done that for some time.

Anyway, if you want to just test-run livecd with the speed of a hd
install, (but not portable!)..put the livecd iso at hd and access using
grub2 menuentry as follows, in my example....

menuentry "Livecd  " {
        loopback loop (hd0,10)/pop/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
iso-scan/filename=/pop/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso noprompt noeject
quiet splash
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "SysResCd" {
         loopback loop (hd0,10)/pop/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.2.iso
         linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64
isoloop=/pop/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.2.iso setkmap=us docache
         initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
}

An interesting thing about this is, unlike live cd from cdrom, you can
make changes stick by making a partition and labeling it casper-rw AND
putting 'persistent rw' at the end of the linux line of the grub entry.

Thought you might want to know this in case you are interested in trying
out.

Okay then, Thomas. Good Luck - Goh Lip

On Friday 16 April 2010 16:27:56 Goh Lip wrote:

> On 04/16/2010 09:27 PM, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all the efforts - I'm on the brink of giving up getting this
> > to work but it would be cool to have a portable linux-on-a-stick system.
> > Luckily my CD-rw that I thought was toast decided to wake up to life
> > again so at least I'm able to burn and boot new install discs.
>
> You're right. you've got a *livecd installation* at your usb not a
> normal install. To get a normal install , install like normal but put in
> the usb partition.
>
> But...again, I personally think it's not worthwhile to set kubuntu at
> usb. The transfer speed for usb transfer is too slow to make it any fun.
> A leaner distro like knoppix, puppy or dsl may be okay and fun to take
> around, but I've not done that for some time.
>

> Anyway, if you want to just test-run livecd with the speed of a hd
> install, (but not portable!)..put the livecd iso at hd and access using
> grub2 menuentry as follows, in my example....
>
> menuentry "Livecd  " {
> loopback loop (hd0,10)/pop/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso
> linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
> iso-scan/filename=/pop/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso noprompt noeject
> quiet splash
> initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
> }
>

> menuentry "SysResCd" {
>          loopback loop (hd0,10)/pop/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.2.iso
>          linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64
> isoloop=/pop/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.2.iso setkmap=us docache
>          initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
> }
>

> An interesting thing about this is, unlike live cd from cdrom, you can
> make changes stick by making a partition and labeling it casper-rw AND
> putting 'persistent rw' at the end of the linux line of the grub entry.
>
> Thought you might want to know this in case you are interested in trying
> out.
>

> Okay then, Thomas. Good Luck - Goh Lip

Didn't know you could do that. It sounds cool and I will definitely experiment
with that. Thanks for all the help Goh and have a great weekend :-)