Failure message

Billie Walsh
sorry. This is on the laptop that has the software installation failure.

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk3
module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26 /usr/share/perl/5.26
/usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 151, <> line 4.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Selecting previously unselected package kdegames-card-data-kf5.
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
  files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

Re: Failure message

charlie
Is this from a re-install after your first attempt or the first attempt
all-together?

charlie

IRC: hangar18

On 07/14/2018 02:39 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:

> sorry. This is on the laptop that has the software installation failure.
>

> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
> debconf: (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
> Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.1
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26
> /usr/share/perl/5.26 /usr/local/lib/site_perl
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 151, <> line 4.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> Selecting previously unselected package kdegames-card-data-kf5.
> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
>  files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

Re: Failure message

Billie Walsh
It's the result of attempting to install Kpat. I can't install any
updates or anything because it always fail with that message.

--
"The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."

Mark Twain

Re: Failure message

Nils Kassube-2
Billie Walsh wrote:
> sorry. This is on the laptop that has the software installation
> failure.
>

> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
> debconf: (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
> Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl

Gtk3.pm is in the package libgtk3-perl, so you probably should install
that package first.

Nils

Re: Failure message

Billie Walsh
On 07/14/2018 11:59 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> sorry. This is on the laptop that has the software installation
>> failure.
>>

>> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
>> debconf: (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
>> Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> Gtk3.pm is in the package libgtk3-perl, so you probably should install
> that package first.
>

> Nils

Nope. Installation fails. Same output.

--
"The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."

Mark Twain

Re: Failure message

Clay Weber-2
On Sat, July 14, 2018 5:39 pm, Billie Walsh wrote:

> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
>  files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

I suspect that the package "liblouis-data" is corrupted. I suggest
clearing out your package cache and reinstalling it. There should be an
option in Muon or Synaptic to do this, else the following command:

$ sudo apt clean

Reinstalling the package will then download a new copy.

Re: Failure message

Billie Walsh
On 07/15/2018 07:33 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> On Sat, July 14, 2018 5:39 pm, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
>>   files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
>>
> I suspect that the package "liblouis-data" is corrupted. I suggest
> clearing out your package cache and reinstalling it. There should be an
> option in Muon or Synaptic to do this, else the following command:
>
> $ sudo apt clean
>
> Reinstalling the package will then download a new copy.

Everything leads right back to the same error message.

On Sun, July 15, 2018 8:58 pm, Billie Walsh wrote:

> On 07/15/2018 07:33 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
>
>> On Sat, July 14, 2018 5:39 pm, Billie Walsh wrote:
>>

>>> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
>>>  files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
>>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>>> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
>>>

>> I suspect that the package "liblouis-data" is corrupted. I suggest
>> clearing out your package cache and reinstalling it. There should be an
>> option in Muon or Synaptic to do this, else the following command:
>>
>> $ sudo apt clean
>>

>> Reinstalling the package will then download a new copy.
>>

> Everything leads right back to the same error message.

Try uninstalling it, unless you need Braille support it is not a vital
library, or perhaps try a different package mirror.

You could also try deleting any files in /var/lib/dpkg/info relating to
liblouis-data, including liblouis-data.list, which is the specific file
causing the error. Then run sudo dpkg --configure -a

You might also post the relevant terminal output from apt update and apt
full-upgrade to see a more complete error message, if nothing else is
fixing it.  Maybe we are not seeing enough to fulle determine the problem.

Re: Failure message

Billie Walsh
On 07/15/2018 09:37 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> On Sun, July 15, 2018 8:58 pm, Billie Walsh wrote:

>>> I suspect that the package "liblouis-data" is corrupted. I suggest
>>> clearing out your package cache and reinstalling it. There should be an
>>> option in Muon or Synaptic to do this, else the following command:
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt clean
>>>

>>> Reinstalling the package will then download a new copy.
>>>
>> Everything leads right back to the same error message.
>>

> Try uninstalling it, unless you need Braille support it is not a vital
> library, or perhaps try a different package mirror.
>
> You could also try deleting any files in /var/lib/dpkg/info relating to
> liblouis-data, including liblouis-data.list, which is the specific file
> causing the error. Then run sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
> You might also post the relevant terminal output from apt update and apt
> full-upgrade to see a more complete error message, if nothing else is
> fixing it.  Maybe we are not seeing enough to fulle determine the problem.

I've tried deleting/re-installing liblouis-data. No luck.

apt full-upgrade ges through a ling list downloading then fails with

files list file for package 'liblouis-data' is missing final newline
E: sub-process user/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)