Feature Idea - Tool Centre

Rick Timmis-2
Hi Friends

I'll keep this brief. Years ago Red Hat offered a set of installation
options to setup different environments. I think it would be cool to do
the same.

Using a Mint Style Welcome Screen ( Some work already done on this )
we'd provide a "Tool Center" feature.

In this centre would be installation scripts for different setups. For
example

Video Editing - Installs KDEnlive, Krita, DVD Tools etc...

Web Developer - Installs Kdevelop, PHP Plugins, Xdebug, KlinkChecker, etc...

In addition we would ask the community to provide installer scripts (
Basically apt-get lists )

Just an idea...

Rick

--

IRC : sick_rimmit
WEB : https://www.ricktimmis.com

Pub   2048R/3CCAE49E 2016-10-10 [expires: 2017-01-08]
      Key fingerprint = 0603 2C24 D3C6 505B A96E  A3E8 A6AF 8844 3CCA E49E

Re: Feature Idea - Tool Centre

Marco Parillo
Could each setup automajically be placed on a separate activity?
Activities are no longer new, but it seems as if many do not see the use case for them yet?

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Rick Timmis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Charbonneau
This is a great idea Rick, I had wanted to learn how to create meta packages like this to set environments for LAMP development, Python, Ruby, Elixer as well as C++, Qt development; we can meta-package a great number of system packages.

Where does someone learn to do this?

On 24 Dec 2016 08:31, "Rick Timmis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Walter Lapchynski
Isn't that what Ubuntu Make does? Or is that not KDE friendly enough?

@wxl | polka.bike
c563 cac5 8be1 2f22 a49d
68f6 8b57 a48b c4f2 051a

On Dec 24, 2016 12:19 PM, "Bewitching Me" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aleix Pol Gonzalez
On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Rick Timmis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Friends
>
> I'll keep this brief. Years ago Red Hat offered a set of installation
> options to setup different environments. I think it would be cool to do
> the same.
>
> Using a Mint Style Welcome Screen ( Some work already done on this )
> we'd provide a "Tool Center" feature.
>
> In this centre would be installation scripts for different setups. For
> example
>
> Video Editing - Installs KDEnlive, Krita, DVD Tools etc...
>
> Web Developer - Installs Kdevelop, PHP Plugins, Xdebug, KlinkChecker, etc...
>
> In addition we would ask the community to provide installer scripts (
> Basically apt-get lists )
>
> Just an idea...
>
> Rick

Hi Rick,
This is very similar to what we tried with this project:
https://cgit.kde.org/kdesdk-devenv-dependencies.git/

Only difference being that it pulls libraries rather than
applications. I think one general problem is (maybe from my KDE hat)
is that it's hard to document this kind of settings when they're
deeply distribution-dependent, so ideally it's something that needs to
be easily listed in Discover so we can document it at a platform
level.

One technology you can look into is AppStream and its <suggests> field:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#sect-Metadata-GenericComponent

Another thing we've discussed is the possibility to show suggestions
more prominently in Discover, although we haven't finalized the design
yet. If you're interested I'll be happy to hear your ideas.

Regards,
Aleix

Re: Feature Idea - Tool Centre

Rick Timmis-2

Hi folks

I checked in on Ubuntu-Make, but it's not what I had in mind. Also it seems what it provides is quite limited, especially on 16.04 ( I'll discuss this a bit more on the Kubuntu Podcast )

Marco -> Yes this is a great idea, and would be wonderful way of implementing the Feature I mentioned, but at the same time would promote the use of Activities

Does anyone have any pointers / documentation links about created Activities ?

I would see this implemented as a meta-package, which pulls in various tools, dependencies, and of course an Activity

Thanks

Rick

On 24/12/16 19:39, Marco Parillo wrote:
[...]

ovidiub13
Would this include having a specific configuration for those applications? (I'd prefer the default)

I'd say the AppStream way is the way to go.

Ovidiu - Florin BOGDAN