File Roller extracting rar archives

Panos Laganakos
Hello,

I've been trying to extract some .rar archives, but it seems that the
build included with ubuntu breezy won't let me.

Is it the fact that .rar is proprietary(?) format?

Any way to activate .rar archive extraction in file roller or will i
have to build FR from source?

Thanks.

p.s. The archives extract fine under windows, so its not that they're damaged.

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

chrisccoulson

Panos Laganakos Wrote:
> Hello,

> I've been trying to extract some .rar archives, but it seems that the

> build included with ubuntu breezy won't let me.

> Is it the fact that .rar is proprietary(?) format?

Have you tried 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/9jokh) or 'this one'
(http://tinyurl.com/d4f4l)?

I  hope that helps,

--
jaddison

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

ulrich steffens
Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 01:19 +0200 schrieb Panos Laganakos:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to extract some .rar archives, but it seems that the
> build included with ubuntu breezy won't let me.
>
> Is it the fact that .rar is proprietary(?) format?
>
> Any way to activate .rar archive extraction in file roller or will i
> have to build FR from source?
>
> Thanks.
>
> p.s. The archives extract fine under windows, so its not that they're damaged.

you just have to install unrar-nonfree.

take a look at
http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/ch02.html#addinguniverse
follow the instructions to enable the extra repositories.
then in synaptic hit reload and search for unrar.
mark it, apply, done. file roller now handles rar-files.

- ulrich

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

ben miller
On Sunday 20 November 2005 5:33 pm, ulrich steffens wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 01:19 +0200 schrieb Panos Laganakos:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been trying to extract some .rar archives, but it seems that the
> > build included with ubuntu breezy won't let me.
> >
> > Is it the fact that .rar is proprietary(?) format?
> >
> > Any way to activate .rar archive extraction in file roller or will i
> > have to build FR from source?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > p.s. The archives extract fine under windows, so its not that they're
> > damaged.
>
> you just have to install unrar-nonfree.
>
> take a look at
> http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/ch02.html#addinguniverse
> follow the instructions to enable the extra repositories.
> then in synaptic hit reload and search for unrar.
> mark it, apply, done. file roller now handles rar-files

Something I've learned recently is that both rar and unrar need to be
installed for unrar to work properly.

== Ben

Am Sonntag, den 20.11.2005, 20:02 -0600 schrieb ben miller:

> On Sunday 20 November 2005 5:33 pm, ulrich steffens wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 18.11.2005, 01:19 +0200 schrieb Panos Laganakos:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been trying to extract some .rar archives, but it seems that the
> > > build included with ubuntu breezy won't let me.
> > >
> > > Is it the fact that .rar is proprietary(?) format?
> > >
> > > Any way to activate .rar archive extraction in file roller or will i
> > > have to build FR from source?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > p.s. The archives extract fine under windows, so its not that they're
> > > damaged.
> >
> > you just have to install unrar-nonfree.
> >
> > take a look at
> > http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/ch02.html#addinguniverse
> > follow the instructions to enable the extra repositories.
> > then in synaptic hit reload and search for unrar.
> > mark it, apply, done. file roller now handles rar-files
>

> Something I've learned recently is that both rar and unrar need to be
> installed for unrar to work properly.
>
> == Ben

well, thats strange, cause i'm using unrar-nonfree ONLY and it just
works the way it should be. what i've learnd is that unrar-free couldn't
handle any of the archives i had, whereas the nonfree version could
handle them all well.

 - ulrich

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

Julio Biason
On 21/11/05, ulrich steffens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well, thats strange, cause i'm using unrar-nonfree ONLY and it just
> works the way it should be. what i've learnd is that unrar-free couldn't
> handle any of the archives i had, whereas the nonfree version could
> handle them all well.

Hm... I couldn't use the unrar-free 'cause it couldn't handle any of
the archives I got (although it "saw" they were RAR files).

The official RAR, on the other hand worked like a charm on Hoary, but
on Breezy it fails complaining about something in libc. rar_static
works perfectly, so I move it to /usr/local/bin and change its name to
"rar".

--
Julio Biason <[hidden email]>

Am Montag, den 21.11.2005, 14:19 -0200 schrieb Julio Biason:

> On 21/11/05, ulrich steffens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > well, thats strange, cause i'm using unrar-nonfree ONLY and it just
> > works the way it should be. what i've learnd is that unrar-free couldn't
> > handle any of the archives i had, whereas the nonfree version could
> > handle them all well.
>
> Hm... I couldn't use the unrar-free 'cause it couldn't handle any of
> the archives I got (although it "saw" they were RAR files).
>
> The official RAR, on the other hand worked like a charm on Hoary, but
> on Breezy it fails complaining about something in libc. rar_static
> works perfectly, so I move it to /usr/local/bin and change its name to
> "rar".
>
> --
> Julio Biason <[hidden email]>

or you could use the one thats in multiverse/utils.
as i understand it, this is the same as the official one, only packaged
for ubuntu. that's why it's called nonfree. or am i wrong?

--
ulrich steffens
[hidden email]

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

Dennis Shaw
Can someone post the url to the non-free repo? I'm using Kubuntu Breezy
with Adept and there are no non-free repos in the sources.list.

I'm trying to get unrar to work also with no luck. unrar-free does not work!

Thanks,
Dennis

ulrich steffens wrote:

> Am Montag, den 21.11.2005, 14:19 -0200 schrieb Julio Biason:
>
>>On 21/11/05, ulrich steffens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>well, thats strange, cause i'm using unrar-nonfree ONLY and it just
>>>works the way it should be. what i've learnd is that unrar-free couldn't
>>>handle any of the archives i had, whereas the nonfree version could
>>>handle them all well.
>>
>>Hm... I couldn't use the unrar-free 'cause it couldn't handle any of
>>the archives I got (although it "saw" they were RAR files).
>>
>>The official RAR, on the other hand worked like a charm on Hoary, but
>>on Breezy it fails complaining about something in libc. rar_static
>>works perfectly, so I move it to /usr/local/bin and change its name to
>>"rar".
>>
>>--
>>Julio Biason <[hidden email]>
>>
> or you could use the one thats in multiverse/utils.
> as i understand it, this is the same as the official one, only packaged
> for ubuntu. that's why it's called nonfree. or am i wrong?

--
Dennis Shaw
dragondeveloper.com

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

Tim Frost
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 21:22 -0500, Dennis Shaw wrote:
> Can someone post the url to the non-free repo? I'm using Kubuntu Breezy
> with Adept and there are no non-free repos in the sources.list.
>
> I'm trying to get unrar to work also with no luck. unrar-free does not work!
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

unrar-free is in universe.
The non-free packages are in the section called multiverse

So I have:
deb http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe main restricted
multiverse

(Note that I am in New Zealand, so use that repository, so your location
will vary according to your preferred repository).

In synaptic, highlight your main repository, click edit and add
multiverse to the list of sections. (Or click "Add" and check "non-free
(multiverse)").

Hope this helps.

Tim

Re: File Roller extracting rar archives

Dennis Shaw
I don't have Synaptic, I have Adept (Kubuntu), I just added 'deb
http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy universe main restricted
multiverse' to my sources.list and it worked great!

Thanks a lot!!
Dennis

--
Dennis Shaw