Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Bob

Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Bob
I was trying to add a "shared folder" in VirtualBox when something went wrong.
Most but not all of the files in my home directory and a partition mounted at
HOME disappeared.  I have recovered most everything from backups.  The problem
is that the desktop is now showing icons for the files and folders in HOME.

How do I stop the files and folders in HOME being also placed on the desktop?

How do I delete the icons that have already been placed on the desktop?

--
Robert Blair

Keep voting Democrat...  One day they will restrict your freedoms, restrict your history and restrict your safety.  All in the name of professional victims that don't understand the consequences of their ignorance.  -- Ronald Regan, 1987

Re: Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:16:29 -0700, Bob wrote:
>I was trying to add a "shared folder" in VirtualBox when something
>went wrong. Most but not all of the files in my home directory and a
>partition mounted at HOME disappeared.

Hi,

when you tried to add a shared VBox folder probably something else
"went wrong", since what ever you were doing with VBox, can not
have affected the desktop and/or unmount a partition. Keep in mind that
unmounting a partition requires root privileges, while adding a shared
folder should be done without root privileges. OTOH desktop
environments tend to suffer from the silly custom to bypass sane
security measures.

>I have recovered most everything from backups.  The problem is that
>the desktop is now showing icons for the files and folders in HOME.
>
>How do I stop the files and folders in HOME being also placed on the
>desktop?

What desktop {,environment} are you using? Does it show all files and
folders or some files and folder? You at least need to mention the
Ubuntu release.

  $ lsb_release -a

Keep in mind that what desktop environment is used by default, depends
on the release of Ubuntu.

>How do I delete the icons that have already been placed on the desktop?

Viewing icons such as mounted partitions or the waste bin usually can
be enabled or disabled by the preferences of the desktop {,environment}
you are using. The desktop also might show the contend of

  ~/Desktop/

but unlikely shows the contend of

 ~

. However, have you by any chance run a file manager other than your
desktop environment's default file manager? It might have taken over the
desktop.

In short, google for your desktop environments settings dialog, it most
likely provides a dialog to enable and disable icon views. File
managers usually provide a menu to change preferences, where you
probably could disable to taken over the desktop, or else to enable or
disable icon views on the desktop.

Regards,
Ralf

Bob

Re: Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Bob
** Reply to message from Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> on Thu, 1 Oct 2020 07:22:17 +0200

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:16:29 -0700, Bob wrote:
> >I was trying to add a "shared folder" in VirtualBox when something
> >went wrong. Most but not all of the files in my home directory and a
> >partition mounted at HOME disappeared.
>
> Hi,
>
> when you tried to add a shared VBox folder probably something else
> "went wrong", since what ever you were doing with VBox, can not
> have affected the desktop and/or unmount a partition. Keep in mind that
> unmounting a partition requires root privileges, while adding a shared

The partition was still mounted.  Most of the files in HOME and the partition
mounted at HOME disappeared (erased), but not all of them.  Doing an LS showed
the few files that were still there.

> folder should be done without root privileges. OTOH desktop
> environments tend to suffer from the silly custom to bypass sane
> security measures.
>
> >I have recovered most everything from backups.  The problem is that
> >the desktop is now showing icons for the files and folders in HOME.
> >
> >How do I stop the files and folders in HOME being also placed on the
> >desktop?
>
> What desktop {,environment} are you using? Does it show all files and
> folders or some files and folder? You at least need to mention the
> Ubuntu release.

The logon screen settings has "UBUNTU".

>   $ lsb_release -a

robert@MARS:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Discription:    Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal
robert@MARS:~$

> Keep in mind that what desktop environment is used by default, depends
> on the release of Ubuntu.
>
> >How do I delete the icons that have already been placed on the desktop?
>
> Viewing icons such as mounted partitions or the waste bin usually can
> be enabled or disabled by the preferences of the desktop {,environment}
> you are using. The desktop also might show the contend of
>
>   ~/Desktop/
>
> but unlikely shows the contend of
>
>  ~
>
> . However, have you by any chance run a file manager other than your
> desktop environment's default file manager? It might have taken over the
> desktop.

The file manager I use is whatever comes with Ubuntu.

> In short, google for your desktop environments settings dialog, it most
> likely provides a dialog to enable and disable icon views. File
> managers usually provide a menu to change preferences, where you
> probably could disable to taken over the desktop, or else to enable or
> disable icon views on the desktop.

I have used google.  The main problem is I do not know what to search for.
What I find is how to remove "trash" and "home" from the desktop.  When I
create a file in HOME it is in the file manager and also on the desktop.  If I
remove the file in either location the file is deleted and the icons are gone
which is not what I want, I want to get rid of the icon on the desktop but keep
the file and its icon in the file manager, not the file removed.

--
Robert Blair

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.  -- Mark Twain (1866)

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:18, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I stop the files and folders in HOME being also placed on the desktop?
>
> How do I delete the icons that have already been placed on the desktop?

DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING!

This is a common problem.

There is a config file that tells your desktop (all desktops,
normally) what folders to use for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.
This has probably been damaged or removed, in which case, a new one is
sometimes created automatically. Just edit it and tell it where the
folders are.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/523167/why-is-my-desktop-the-same-as-home-folder

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Bob

Re: Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Thu, 1 Oct 2020
11:03:17 +0200

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:18, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How do I stop the files and folders in HOME being also placed on the desktop?
> >
> > How do I delete the icons that have already been placed on the desktop?
>
> DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING!
>
> This is a common problem.
>
> There is a config file that tells your desktop (all desktops,
> normally) what folders to use for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.
> This has probably been damaged or removed, in which case, a new one is
> sometimes created automatically. Just edit it and tell it where the
> folders are.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/523167/why-is-my-desktop-the-same-as-home-folder

Thank you very much.

That was easy.  user-dirs.dirs must have been one of the files deleted because
all of the directories were set to $HOME/.

--
Robert Blair

Did you ever notice: When you put the 2 words ' The'   and ' IRS ' together it spells   'Theirs...'

Re: Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Liam Proven
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 20:45, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you very much.
>
> That was easy.

I'm glad to hear that.

>  user-dirs.dirs must have been one of the files deleted because
> all of the directories were set to $HOME/.

Yes, that sounds plausible.

I am wondering why sharing folders would do this, though. I often
share folders between host and guest under VBox, without problem. What
were you trying to do? Have the guest use the same home directory or
something?

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Bob

Re: Files and folders in HOME are appearing on the desktop

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Fri, 2 Oct 2020
13:50:20 +0200

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 20:45, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > That was easy.
>
> I'm glad to hear that.
>
> >  user-dirs.dirs must have been one of the files deleted because
> > all of the directories were set to $HOME/.
>
> Yes, that sounds plausible.
>
> I am wondering why sharing folders would do this, though. I often
> share folders between host and guest under VBox, without problem. What
> were you trying to do? Have the guest use the same home directory or
> something?

I do not know why it failed while I was trying to configure shared folders, it
may have been a coincidence as there were several other programs running.  The
guest was Windows and I was trying to share a partition mounted on HOME.

--
Robert Blair

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. -- Adrian Rogers