Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk

Hi!

I've brought my machine to the computer shop. They checked everything,
especially the PSU and the main board. All the capacitors are okay.
They couldn't find anything.

The main board is quite old, must be more than ten years. The HDD is 3
1/2 years old.

Now I still don't know the reason of the data corruption, which
wrecked my Kubuntu system. I've installed a new Ubuntu-19.04, and
found no corruption so far. The problem can't be reproduced. This
includes my dm-cache, which I've set up anew.

I'm worrying that the problem might hiddenly continue, and I don't
notice in time.  :-(  Good thing that I have multiple backups.

Thanks to all contributors to this thread.

Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Little Girl
Hey there,

Volker Wysk wrote:

>I've brought my machine to the computer shop. They checked
>everything, especially the PSU and the main board. All the
>capacitors are okay. They couldn't find anything.

That's really good news and must be reassuring to hear.

>Now I still don't know the reason of the data corruption, which
>wrecked my Kubuntu system. I've installed a new Ubuntu-19.04, and
>found no corruption so far. The problem can't be reproduced. This
>includes my dm-cache, which I've set up anew.
>
>I'm worrying that the problem might hiddenly continue, and I don't
>notice in time.  :-(  Good thing that I have multiple backups.

I'd say that hard shut-downs are probably to blame. Somewhere in this
thread you had mentioned that you've done that at times. Not shutting
down a computer properly can corrupt a file system.

I don't know what the reason is for the non-standard shut-downs
you've done, but if those are done when all else fails, you might
want to consider adding the Alt+SysRq key combination to your
repertoire:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617349

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I've used Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+B to reboot or Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+O to
shut down on the very rare occasions when my system wouldn't
respond.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Zitat von Little Girl <[hidden email]>:

> Hey there,
>
> Volker Wysk wrote:
>
>> I've brought my machine to the computer shop. They checked
>> everything, especially the PSU and the main board. All the
>> capacitors are okay. They couldn't find anything.
>
> That's really good news and must be reassuring to hear.

Except that the caus is still unclear.

>> Now I still don't know the reason of the data corruption, which
>> wrecked my Kubuntu system. I've installed a new Ubuntu-19.04, and
>> found no corruption so far. The problem can't be reproduced. This
>> includes my dm-cache, which I've set up anew.
>>
>> I'm worrying that the problem might hiddenly continue, and I don't
>> notice in time.  :-(  Good thing that I have multiple backups.
>
> I'd say that hard shut-downs are probably to blame. Somewhere in this
> thread you had mentioned that you've done that at times. Not shutting
> down a computer properly can corrupt a file system.

I haven't done any hard shut-downs since I've installed Ubuntu 19.04,
but now the problem struck again - see the other message "Filesystem
corruption - Problem strikes again".

> I don't know what the reason is for the non-standard shut-downs
> you've done, but if those are done when all else fails, you might
> want to consider adding the Alt+SysRq key combination to your
> repertoire:
>
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617349
>
> See also:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>
> I've used Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+B to reboot or Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+O to
> shut down on the very rare occasions when my system wouldn't
> respond.

I haven't had any bad trouble with hard shut-downs so far. You can
still do alt-ctrl-delete. There was never anything this badly broken...

Bye!
V.W.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Bekkenes
Most computer systems have built in utilities for running diagnostics on
boot.
You said they checked everything, but you mentioned PSU and mobo
specifically.
Most issues with corrupt filesystems are either due to unexpected power loss
and older filesystems, but since you here on a Ubuntu mailing list this
shouldn't really be an issue.

Have you run diagnostics on your harddrives?

--
Sent from: http://ubuntu.5.x6.nabble.com/ubuntu-users-f1215774.html

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Mittwoch, den 31.07.2019, 05:10 -0700 schrieb Bekkenes:

> Most computer systems have built in utilities for running diagnostics
> on
> boot.
> You said they checked everything, but you mentioned PSU and mobo
> specifically.
> Most issues with corrupt filesystems are either due to unexpected
> power loss
> and older filesystems, but since you here on a Ubuntu mailing list
> this
> shouldn't really be an issue.
>
> Have you run diagnostics on your harddrives?

Yes, the SMART diagnostics have been checked, with help from this list.
They haven't revealed any problems.

The machine seems to run fine again, although it's unknown what the
reason of that "data corruption" was. The BIOS has been updated, the
SATA cables replaced, a new CMOS battery, a new OS installed (Ubuntu
18.04 LTS), no more SSD-as-a-cache...

You say "built in utilities for running diagnostics on boot" - do you
mean some tool built into the BIOS? I haven't encountered something
like that.

There is memtest86+, to be started from the GRUB boot menu. I've tried
that, but no errors have been found.

Bye,
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/31/19 6:39 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> a new OS installed (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), no more SSD-as-a-cache...

hurray!  \o/

Sv: Filesystem corruption

Bekkenes
It was the system "built in" to BIOS i was referring to  yes, normally shows up when you show up boot options, for some systems F12 on startup on machine.

Mostly you see this in OEM machines like Dell,HP etc, but i have also encountered it the last 8 or so years in other motherboard manufacturers.

Hopefully you are right and this will not be an issue anymore, but other then drive failure or a faulty motherboard, i cant really see what can cause this issue other then shutdown while some major readwrite action was going on at the same time, like systemupdate.

-Thomas

Am Mittwoch, den 31.07.2019, 05:10 -0700 schrieb Bekkenes:
> Most computer systems have built in utilities for running diagnostics
> on
> boot.
> You said they checked everything, but you mentioned PSU and mobo
> specifically.
> Most issues with corrupt filesystems are either due to unexpected
> power loss
> and older filesystems, but since you here on a Ubuntu mailing list
> this
> shouldn't really be an issue.
>
> Have you run diagnostics on your harddrives?

Yes, the SMART diagnostics have been checked, with help from this list.
They haven't revealed any problems.

The machine seems to run fine again, although it's unknown what the
reason of that "data corruption" was. The BIOS has been updated, the
SATA cables replaced, a new CMOS battery, a new OS installed (Ubuntu
18.04 LTS), no more SSD-as-a-cache...

You say "built in utilities for running diagnostics on boot" - do you
mean some tool built into the BIOS? I haven't encountered something
like that.

There is memtest86+, to be started from the GRUB boot menu. I've tried
that, but no errors have been found.

Bye,
Volker

Re: Sv: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Donnerstag, den 01.08.2019, 05:02 +0000 schrieb Thomas Bekkenes:
> It was the system "built in" to BIOS i was referring to  yes,
> normally shows up when you show up boot options, for some systems F12
> on startup on machine.
>
> Mostly you see this in OEM machines like Dell,HP etc, but i have also
> encountered it the last 8 or so years in other motherboard
> manufacturers.

I've checked, but couldn't find any diagnostics tool in the BIOS. Also
checked the boot options screen, but no diagnostics tool.

> Hopefully you are right and this will not be an issue anymore, but
> other then drive failure or a faulty motherboard, i cant really see
> what can cause this issue other then shutdown while some major
> readwrite action was going on at the same time, like systemupdate.

Some software problem...?

I haven't noticed any new corruption so far.

Sorry for the late answer. I've been copying some 3 TB from one
external hard disk to another, and didn't want to stop it. Took two
days to complete.  ;-)

Bye!

On 8/2/19 10:35 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> I've checked, but couldn't find any diagnostics tool in the BIOS. Also
> checked the boot options screen, but no diagnostics tool.
On some HP, and possibly Dell servers, they had a small, separate boot
partition that contained the tools. I think you had to boot from that
partition to access.

Am Freitag, den 02.08.2019, 11:20 -0600 schrieb compdoc:

> On 8/2/19 10:35 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
> > I've checked, but couldn't find any diagnostics tool in the BIOS.
> > Also
> > checked the boot options screen, but no diagnostics tool.
> On some HP, and possibly Dell servers, they had a small, separate
> boot
> partition that contained the tools. I think you had to boot from
> that
> partition to access.

There is no such partition in the boot menu...

Volker