Firefox extensions no longer recognized

Jason Franklin
Greetings,

Ubuntu version: 18.04.2 LTS

Recently I opened Firefox to discover that none of the extensions I
have installed and used for months are recognized.  I see messages
under Legacy Extensions that say...

> [Extension Name] could not be verified for use in Firefox
> and has been disabled.

Among the plugins I use are "HTTPS Everywhere" and "uBlock Origin".

This appears to have surfaced after a recent update, and all software
on my system is reported as up-to-date by apt.

Jason Franklin

Re: Firefox extensions no longer recognized

Jim Byrnes-4
On 5/4/19 8:52 AM, Jason Franklin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Ubuntu version: 18.04.2 LTS
>
> Recently I opened Firefox to discover that none of the extensions I
> have installed and used for months are recognized.  I see messages
> under Legacy Extensions that say...
>
>> [Extension Name] could not be verified for use in Firefox
>> and has been disabled.
>
> Among the plugins I use are "HTTPS Everywhere" and "uBlock Origin".
>
> This appears to have surfaced after a recent update, and all software
> on my system is reported as up-to-date by apt.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Franklin

Maybe a result of this:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/03/firefox-extension-add-on-cert/

Regards, Jim

Re: Firefox extensions no longer recognized

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2019-05-04 at 09:52 -0400, Jason Franklin wrote:
> Recently I opened Firefox to discover that none of the extensions I
> have installed and used for months are recognized.
> >
> > [Extension Name] could not be verified for use in Firefox
> > and has been disabled.

This is a very widespread issue, which Mozilla is addressing.

A workaround is to browse to "about:config", scroll down to the bottom
off the list of settable configuration elements, and change
"xpinstall.signatures.required" to false.

This workaround probably will NOT work on anything except Linux and
Android. It may work on development versions of Firefox. I only know
for a fact that it works on 16.04LTS 64-bit Firefox 66.0.3.

Mozilla had this to say:

"https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certificate-issue-causing-add-ons-to-b
e-disabled-or-fail-to-install/39047

12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta
and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in
the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active
steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using
the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going
to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to
install and run studies."

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75