Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Kevin O'Gorman
I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash report, which I did at first, but I've given up.

About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to find a crash dialog on the screen.

Anyone else having this?

Anyone care to suggest other browsers?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Wade Smart-2

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash report, which I did at first, but I've given up.

About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to find a crash dialog on the screen.

Anyone else having this?

Anyone care to suggest other browsers?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

I use FF only now and Ive really liked it. Im on 18.04 now and while Ive
had a few issues, its mostly with too many screens with video open on my
laptop and I just do not have enough memory.

Re: Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Jim Byrnes-4
On 07/23/2018 04:56 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances ("profiles")
> in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for a month or so.  It
> asks me for information to send with the crash report, which I did at
> first, but I've given up.
>
> About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I have
> multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come most often
> when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to find a crash dialog
> on the screen.
>
> Anyone else having this?
>
> Anyone care to suggest other browsers?
>
> ++ kevin

I use both Firefox and Chrome. I can't say that Firefox never crashes
for me but nothing like you are experiencing. In fact I can't remember
the last time it die crash.

Try starting Firefox from a terminal, maybe some useful info will show
up there.

regards,  Jim

Re: Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Chris-2
On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:56 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances
> ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for
> a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash
> report, which I did at first, but I've given up.
>
> About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I
> have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come
> most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to
> find a crash dialog on the screen.
>
> Anyone else having this?
>
> Anyone care to suggest other browsers?
>
> ++ kevin

Why not go through and start with Add-ons disabled (safe mode). If it
doesn't crash then restart, disable all extensions then manually enable
them until you get the crash. Have you looked at the output of the
crash report that FF generates to see if it gives you a clue?

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:43:16 -0500, Chris wrote:
>Why not go through and start with Add-ons disabled (safe mode). If it
>doesn't crash then restart, disable all extensions then manually enable
>them until you get the crash. Have you looked at the output of the
>crash report that FF generates to see if it gives you a clue?

"firefox --safe-mode" not necessarily is enough, it could be better to
to use "firefox --ProfileManager" to create a new profile. However,
using firefox with add-ons and/or themes ensures that soon or later an
update will cause issues, but even if we should use plain firefox with
all that privacy breaches unmodified by about:config, for some time
past firefox is unstable. Firefox isn't the first clumsy browser that
became unstable. QupZilla, now Falkon, failed, too, but became usable
again. It's not an Ubuntu issue, I'm experiencing firfox as a PITA on
Arch Linux. In my experiences Falkon/QupZilla, Pale Moon and Chrome
work more reliable, unfortunately for videos Chrome seems to be the
best choice. Ice Cat also works more reliable, but using it anyway is a
PITA, since it's impossible to get rid of all the "Hidden HTML detected"
annoyances. Even when visiting https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat
the user needs to decide, to reveal the hidden HTML or not by a mouse
click.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:56 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances
> ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for
> a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash
> report, which I did at first, but I've given up.
>
> About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I
> have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come
> most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to
> find a crash dialog on the screen.
>
> Anyone else having this?
>
> Anyone care to suggest other browsers?
>
> ++ kevin

Why not go through and start with Add-ons disabled (safe mode). If it
doesn't crash then restart, disable all extensions then manually enable
them until you get the crash. Have you looked at the output of the
crash report that FF generates to see if it gives you a clue?

That seems like it could be a good idea, but I do not know how to find that crash report.

On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 16:36 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:56 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances
> > > ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been
> > for
> > > a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash
> > > report, which I did at first, but I've given up.
> > >
> > > About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is
> > that I
> > > have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes
> > come
> > > most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to
> > > find a crash dialog on the screen.
> > >
> > > Anyone else having this?
> > >
> > > Anyone care to suggest other browsers?
> > >
> > > ++ kevin
> > >
> > Why not go through and start with Add-ons disabled (safe mode). If
> > it
> > doesn't crash then restart, disable all extensions then manually
> > enable
> > them until you get the crash. Have you looked at the output of the
> > crash report that FF generates to see if it gives you a clue?
>
> That seems like it could be a good idea, but I do not know how to
> find that crash report.

On the address bar type about:crashes you'll get a listing of the
crashes you've had. Click on the one you want to look at. Here's some
info - https://superuser.com/questions/583988/where-can-i-find-a-mozill
a-firefox-crash-log

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 16:36 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:56 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances
> > > ("profiles") in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been
> > for
> > > a month or so.  It asks me for information to send with the crash
> > > report, which I did at first, but I've given up.
> > >
> > > About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is
> > that I
> > > have multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes
> > come
> > > most often when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to
> > > find a crash dialog on the screen.
> > >
> > > Anyone else having this?
> > >
> > > Anyone care to suggest other browsers?
> > >
> > > ++ kevin
> > >
> > Why not go through and start with Add-ons disabled (safe mode). If
> > it
> > doesn't crash then restart, disable all extensions then manually
> > enable
> > them until you get the crash. Have you looked at the output of the
> > crash report that FF generates to see if it gives you a clue?
>
> That seems like it could be a good idea, but I do not know how to
> find that crash report.

On the address bar type about:crashes you'll get a listing of the
crashes you've had. Click on the one you want to look at. Here's some
info - https://superuser.com/questions/583988/where-can-i-find-a-mozill
a-firefox-crash-log

Okay, that helps.  Sort of.  The first two I looked at were very different in most ways, but they had this in common: they were SIGSEGV when the stack trace showed exactly 50 frames.

I've  disabled extensions, plugins, and language packs.  we'll see what happens.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)

Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: Firefox on 16.04 crashes over and over and over

NoOp-4
On 07/23/2018 02:56 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm getting multiple crashes daily on two different instances ("profiles")
> in Firefox, and on multiple machines, and have been for a month or so.  It
> asks me for information to send with the crash report, which I did at
> first, but I've given up.
>
> About the only thing even slightly special about my useage is that I have
> multiple tabs, and sometimes multiple windows.  The crashes come most often
> when I'm not even using the computer, but come back to find a crash dialog
> on the screen.

Maybe this will help given that you now are aware of 'about:crashes':

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Crash_reporting/Understanding_crash_reports>

> Anyone else having this?

See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox?field.searchtext=SIGSEGV&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>

> Anyone care to suggest other browsers?

I've used the builds directly from Mozilla for several years due to
crashes etc with the Ubuntu versions. Obviously others will insist that
you run the distro build, but in the event that you'd like to give a
direct build a try (download, extract, run from a user folder - or
install with Ubuntuzilla) see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion/MozillaBuilds

Outside of SeaMonkey, my favorite:
https://www.opera.com/computer/linux
(repository is automatically configured for updates when you install the
.deb package)