Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Chris Green
Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
display it?

I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.

--
Chris Green

Re: Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Petter Adsen
On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> display it?
>
> I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.

Yes.

Open the menu (the three horizontal stripes in the upper right corner),
click "Preferences", then "Tabs", and unselect "When I open a new link
in a new tab, switch to it immediately".

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"

Re: Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Curt
On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> display it?
>
> I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.

If I understand you correctly what you want to do is enable "Don't load
tab until selected" in the options menu for tab preferences.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:57:00PM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> > display it?
> >
> > I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> > shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> > to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.
> >

> Yes.
>
> Open the menu (the three horizontal stripes in the upper right corner),
> click "Preferences", then "Tabs", and unselect "When I open a new link
> in a new tab, switch to it immediately".

But I only want this to happen on a few specific URLs, normally
when I click on a link I *do* want to go to it immediately.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:29:37PM -0600, Curt Tresenriter wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> > display it?
> >
> > I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> > shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> > to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.
> >

> If I understand you correctly what you want to do is enable "Don't load
> tab until selected" in the options menu for tab preferences.

Yes, but it must only apply to a few specific URLs, I want to keep
everything as it is for everything else.

I want to be able to click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four
(and a few similar URLs) so that I hear the Internet Radio station but
I don't want Firefox's display to change.  For any other (non Internet
Radio) URL I want everything to work as it does at present.

These will be bookmarked URLs, kept in the bookmarks toolbar, so I can
if necessary add some javascript/html around them if it would make
what I want to do possible.

--
Chris Green

Re: Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Pete Smout-2

On Feb 17, 2015 10:05 PM, "Chris Green" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 02:29:37PM -0600, Curt Tresenriter wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
> > Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> > > display it?
> > >
> > > I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> > > shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> > > to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.
> > >

> > If I understand you correctly what you want to do is enable "Don't load
> > tab until selected" in the options menu for tab preferences.
> >
> Yes, but it must only apply to a few specific URLs, I want to keep
> everything as it is for everything else.
>
> I want to be able to click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four
> (and a few similar URLs) so that I hear the Internet Radio station but
> I don't want Firefox's display to change.  For any other (non Internet
> Radio) URL I want everything to work as it does at present.
>
> These will be bookmarked URLs, kept in the bookmarks toolbar, so I can
> if necessary add some javascript/html around them if it would make
> what I want to do possible.
>
> --
> Chris Green

I do a similar thing by pointing a lightweight media player at the URL and browsing as normal. Alternatively point a second browser window at radio 4 (or similar) minimize it and carry on. Not the most elegant solution I know but it works!

Pete s

Re: Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Scott Blair
On 02/17/2015 04:59 PM, Chris Green wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:57:00PM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:47:25 +0000
>> Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
>>> display it?
>>>
>>> I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
>>> shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
>>> to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.
>>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Open the menu (the three horizontal stripes in the upper right corner),
>> click "Preferences", then "Tabs", and unselect "When I open a new link
>> in a new tab, switch to it immediately".
>>
> But I only want this to happen on a few specific URLs, normally
> when I click on a link I *do* want to go to it immediately.

Right click on link and select open link in new tab. It will open a new
tab, but not switch to it, you will have to click on it.

--

Scott Blair

Save on back up time BackupDevice=Null

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:54:00PM +0000, Pete Smout wrote:
>    On Feb 17, 2015 10:05 PM, "Chris Green" <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I do a similar thing by pointing a lightweight media player at the URL
>    and browsing as normal. Alternatively point a second browser window at
>    radio 4 (or similar) minimize it and carry on. Not the most elegant
>    solution I know but it works!

Yes, but the trouble is that the BBC are moving the goalposts so fast
at the moment that the "lightweight media player" can't keep up.  I've
been using Radio Tray until recently but it's not reliable with the
latest BBC offerings.

A separate browser window is OK I suppose but I'd really like a
'single click' and unobtrusive way to turn the radio on.

--
Chris Green

Re: Firefox question - can I open a URL in a 'hidden' tab, or at least not move to the tab when opening it?

Rick-59
On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 19:47 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> Is there any way in Firefox to 'open' a URL but not move to a tab to
> display it?
>
> I want to open internet radio URLs without changing what Firefox
> shows, so either some sort of hidden TAB or simply a way of not going
> to tabs opening certain specific URLs would do what I want.
>
> --
> Chris Green

If Firefox can't do what you want, you might want to consider using
Opera, where you can right-click on a link and select "Open in
Background Tab".