Fix for distupgrade from 14.04 to 16.04

xor

Fix for distupgrade from 14.04 to 16.04

xor
Hi,

the release notes for 16.04 at [1] say:

> WARNING: LTS to LTS upgrade to Xerus is currently problematic and should not
> be attempted. Please install a fresh copy of 16.04 instead. To prevent
> messages about upgrading, change Prompt=lts to Prompt=normal or
> Prompt=never in the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file.

Well fine, I have text file with the *full* list of settings I have applied
when I first installed Kubuntu, so reinstalling in theory shouldn't be a
problem.

Unfortunately that text file is > 100 pages long nowadays!
It would end up taking half a year for me to find the time to reconfigure a
newly installed system.
That's just not possible for me currently, and even if it were it would cost
me thousands of dollars worth of my time :(

What is the specific problem why it was recommended to reinstall?
Is there e.g. a bugtracker entry for it?
Is it fixed?
How can I help with fixing it?

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

Re: Fix for distupgrade from 14.04 to 16.04

Benjamin Tegge
Am Donnerstag, den 09.11.2017, 01:52 +0100 schrieb xor:
> Unfortunately that text file is > 100 pages long nowadays!
> It would end up taking half a year for me to find the time to
> reconfigure a
> newly installed system.

I can't help you find out what is so problematic about the Kubuntu LTS
to LTS upgrade since I don't use Kubuntu, only a few KDE apps, but I
agree with you.

What usually helps to reduce the required effort of a clean install on
my systems is to do a diff of the backup of the old system and the new
system from live media with Meld. I review the changes in /etc manually
after I installed all the packages (same here, just compare and review
the filtered output of `dpkg -l`), restore the data in /home and that
usually goes smooth. It doesn't take me more than a day, probably a few
hours more when I account planning, but it's pretty efficient compared
to stories I heard from Mac or Windows users, particularly Macs.

Hope that helps understanding and planning your future disaster
recovery.

Best regards,
Benjamin

xor

On Thursday, November 09, 2017 09:48:58 AM Benjamin Tegge wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 09.11.2017, 01:52 +0100 schrieb xor:
> > Unfortunately that text file is > 100 pages long nowadays!
> > It would end up taking half a year for me to find the time to
> > reconfigure a
> > newly installed system.
>
> What usually helps to reduce the required effort of a clean install on
> my systems is to do a diff of the backup of the old system and the new
> system from live media with Meld. I review the changes in /etc manually
> after I installed all the packages (same here, just compare and review
> the filtered output of `dpkg -l`), restore the data in /home and that
> usually goes smooth. It doesn't take me more than a day, probably a few
> hours more when I account planning, but it's pretty efficient compared
> to stories I heard from Mac or Windows users, particularly Macs.
>
> Hope that helps understanding and planning your future disaster
> recovery.

Thank you but I *have* a full diff between a fresh install and my current
configuration and that is the aforementioned handcrafted 100 page textfile.

Diff'ing the raw filesystem against the defaults will only ever be much longer
than those 100 pages. I wrote that textfile to be as short as possible
already.

And applying this will not by any means ever be possible within a day, it will
take months.
You're not taking account for the fact that probably well over a hundred
pieces of software will have the way they are configured changed in a thousand
ways across a version difference of >2 years. I can't just copy over the
settings on disk, that would break in a crazy amount of inacceptable
horrendous ways. This is a production system, not just a gaming machine.

So reinstalling is absolutely no option for me, I need distupgrade to work :(

Still thanks for the effort though!