Floppy support in Dapper Drake

David Balazic-3
... is pathetic.

I tried the 6.06 desktop CD i386, live environment

 - clicked Places / Computer in the menu.

 - double clicked "Floppy Drive"

 - it took almost a minute to mount the floppy !!!!!

 - after a while, bored, I started counting the drive head movements
(the clicks), I counted 21
   It read in at least half of the floppy before it was accessible.
(during that time a
   dialog with Cancel button is visible).

   Then, after this was done, I opened (double clicked the icon again)
it and it took extra
   2 seconds , to show the contents.

   In older linux versions it took at most 5 seconds to mount a floppy
(inclucing time to figure
out its filesystem type).

Then there is more :

 - Does not agressivelly save data to floppy. What if a user forgets and
ejects the medium without unmount ?

 - The floppy drive context menu item "Umount Volume" is too technical
and not human friendly.

 - Wishlist : In case of ATA floppy unit, the medium is locked. It
should detect, that the user depressed
   the eject button and umount/eject the medium.

Regards,
David

http://noepatents.eu.org/          Innovation, not litigation !
---
David Balazic                      mailto:[hidden email]
HERMES Softlab                     http://www.hermes-softlab.com
Zagrebska cesta 104                Phone: +386 2 450 8846
SI-2000 Maribor
Slovenija

Re: Floppy support in Dapper Drake

Ivan Krstić-3
David Balazic wrote:
> ... is pathetic.

This is a development list. Bug reports, including those that find the
present functionality pathetic, belong in the bug tracker.

 https://launchpad.net/bugs

Thanks.

--
Ivan Krstic <[hidden email]> | GPG: 0x147C722D

Re: Floppy support in Dapper Drake

Dane Mutters
On Thursday 29 June 2006 13:29, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> David Balazic wrote:
> > ... is pathetic.
>
> This is a development list. Bug reports, including those that find the
> present functionality pathetic, belong in the bug tracker.
>
>  https://launchpad.net/bugs

This sounds very much like another bug that was fixed in Dapper, but was
present in Breezy:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/30007

Perhaps they are related?  Definitely post this on Launchpad.

--Dane

Re: Floppy support in Dapper Drake

Matthew Garrett
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:45:57AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:

>  - Does not agressivelly save data to floppy. What if a user forgets and
> ejects the medium without unmount ?

What filesystem are you using on the floppy? FAT doesn't support
synchronous mounting in 2.6.15 (this may have changed upstream now, but
I haven't checked).

--
Matthew Garrett | [hidden email]

Matthew Garrett wrote :

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:45:57AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
>
>>  - Does not agressivelly save data to floppy. What if a user forgets and
>> ejects the medium without unmount ?
>
>What filesystem are you using on the floppy? FAT doesn't support
>synchronous mounting in 2.6.15 (this may have changed upstream now, but
>I haven't checked).

It is FAT.

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 02:28:35PM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote :
>
> >What filesystem are you using on the floppy? FAT doesn't support
> >synchronous mounting in 2.6.15 (this may have changed upstream now, but
> >I haven't checked).
>
> It is FAT.

Ok. In that case, it's impossible to do anything about the problem
without kernel modifications.

--
Matthew Garrett | [hidden email]