FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

Lukasz Zemczak
Hello ubuntu-doc!

With the Beta next week, I have created
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades for 20.04, basing on
the one we had for bionic. Could you please take a look and see if
there's anything there that would need updating?

Thank you!

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

Re: FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi Łukasz,

On 2020-03-27 10:15, Lukasz Zemczak wrote:
> Hello ubuntu-doc!
>
> With the Beta next week, I have created
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades for 20.04, basing on
> the one we had for bionic. Could you please take a look and see if
> there's anything there that would need updating?

Thanks for that document! One thing struck me when I reviewed it:

For previous LTS releases, the prompt about the availability of the new
release has been delayed a bit; if I recall it correctly it showed up
only around the .1 point release rather than at final release. If that
will be the case also for 20.04, I can think that it should be mentioned
in that document.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

frank.heimes
Since servers are mostly operated from remote, does it make sense to add a
recommendation to use "screen" (or similar) in case of updating Ubuntu
Server from remote - in the "Ubuntu Servers (Recommended)" section?

Bye, Frank

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 6:45 PM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Łukasz,
>
> On 2020-03-27 10:15, Lukasz Zemczak wrote:
> > Hello ubuntu-doc!
> >
> > With the Beta next week, I have created
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades for 20.04, basing on
> > the one we had for bionic. Could you please take a look and see if
> > there's anything there that would need updating?
>
> Thanks for that document! One thing struck me when I reviewed it:
>
> For previous LTS releases, the prompt about the availability of the new
> release has been delayed a bit; if I recall it correctly it showed up
> only around the .1 point release rather than at final release. If that
> will be the case also for 20.04, I can think that it should be mentioned
> in that document.
>
> --
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson
> https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

RE: FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

Doug Smythies
On 2020.03.27 12:03 Frank Heimes wrote:

> Since servers are mostly operated from remote,
> does it make sense to add a recommendation to
> use "screen" (or similar) in case of updating Ubuntu
> Server from remote - in the "Ubuntu Servers (Recommended)"
> section?

The upgrade procedure will warn users about the potential
loss of SSH anyhow.

But it wouldn't hurt to emphasize.

Myself, I have never had a problem with remote upgrades.
(I never use screen.)

By the way, I had the same observation as Gunnar about the .1
release.

... Doug

Re: FocalUpgrades page - request for help in reviewing

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Lukasz,
Would it be a good idea to add that, alternatively, one may use the
command "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal before upgrading to 20.04?
Hannie