Focus

Peter Flynn
Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of the window management
implementations that will force focus to the only window open in a
desktop when there is only one window open in it.

I typically have four desktops, and slide between them because I have
them set up for different tasks usually involving groups of
applications, but often, one of them will have only a single application
in it. None of them are full-screen, and I use focus-follows-mouse.

It seems perverse that when I flick to such a desktop, the cursor
remains in the position it was in the previous desktop. I can see the
logic of that when the system cannot guess which of multiple
applications you are going to use next, but in the case where there is
only one there, it would be nice for the focus to move to that application.

Peter

Re: Focus

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 21:11:54 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of the window management
> implementations that will force focus to the only window open in a
> desktop when there is only one window open in it.
>
> I typically have four desktops, and slide between them because I have
> them set up for different tasks usually involving groups of
> applications, but often, one of them will have only a single application
> in it. None of them are full-screen, and I use focus-follows-mouse.
>
> It seems perverse that when I flick to such a desktop, the cursor
> remains in the position it was in the previous desktop. I can see the
> logic of that when the system cannot guess which of multiple
> applications you are going to use next, but in the case where there is
> only one there, it would be nice for the focus to move to that application.

Well, you asked for "window management implementations" (without specifying
what you've tried), so here's my input:

I run Ubuntu with Trinity Desktop

        http://trinitydesktop.org/

        https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Trinity_Desktop_Environment

... and it works the way you want. Rolling from one desktop to another
with just one active window results in that window having focus.
Rolling into a desktop with multiple open windows sets the focus on the
last window that was in focus on that desktop.

However, the mouse position remains in the same position throughout any
rolling through all desktops.  (After all, how should the WM know where
to properly place the mouse in any given window.... ?)

HTH
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD

Re: Focus

Colin Watson
On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 09:11:54PM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of the window management
> implementations that will force focus to the only window open in a desktop
> when there is only one window open in it.
>
> I typically have four desktops, and slide between them because I have them
> set up for different tasks usually involving groups of applications, but
> often, one of them will have only a single application in it. None of them
> are full-screen, and I use focus-follows-mouse.
>
> It seems perverse that when I flick to such a desktop, the cursor remains in
> the position it was in the previous desktop. I can see the logic of that
> when the system cannot guess which of multiple applications you are going to
> use next, but in the case where there is only one there, it would be nice
> for the focus to move to that application.

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is how it works for me with
Ubuntu 20.04 and GNOME Shell.

I think the only possibly-relevant non-default thing I have is in Tweaks
→ Windows → Window Focus, where there are three options, "Click to
Focus", "Focus on Hover", and "Secondary-Click" (roughly equivalent to
what were classically called "click to focus", "sloppy focus", and
"focus follows mouse" respectively); I use "Focus on Hover", but IIRC
the default is "Click to Focus" and both of those behave the way you
ask.  Only "Secondary-Click" leaves the desktop focused in the situation
you describe.

If your window manager calls your setting "focus follows mouse", then
I'd be looking for a setting called "sloppy focus" or similar.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [[hidden email]]

Re: Focus

Peter Flynn
On 02/11/2020 16:11, Jonesy via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 21:11:54 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of the window management
>> implementations that will force focus to the only window open in a
>> desktop when there is only one window open in it.
[...]
> Well, you asked for "window management implementations" (without
> specifying  what you've tried), so here's my input:

My apologies, I thought I'd added that. I'm using Cinnamon but I've also
tried Xfce and MATE (under Mint at the moment).

> I run Ubuntu with Trinity Desktop

That's new to me, thank you.

> However, the mouse position remains in the same position throughout any
> rolling through all desktops.

So the window gets focus but the mouse might not be within it?

> (After all, how should the WM know where
> to properly place the mouse in any given window.... ?)

Correct, but at least somewhere within the window, rather than outside
it. Or the last position used, if that window has been visited before.

This is very useful, thank you.

On 02/11/2020 17:15, Colin Watson wrote:
[...]
> If I'm understanding you correctly, this is how it works for me with
> Ubuntu 20.04 and GNOME Shell.
> [...] I use "Focus on Hover", but IIRC the default is "Click to
> Focus" and both of those behave the way you ask.
Indeed click-to-focus would do so because in clicking you give the
location where you want the pointer.

 > Only "Secondary-Click" leaves the desktop focused in the situation
 > you describe.

That does indeed equate to sloppy, and that seems to fix it, thank you
(I last used sloppy many years ago, and I must have dismissed it for
some other reason, because I was convinced I'd already tried it.

Thank you both.