Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd-3
I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory cards,
and won't work at all without one.

I have three 4 gig cards, any and all of which gives a "Memory Card
error" message when inserted into the camera an turned on. According to
the manual troubleshooting info., this could be to the card being not
recognised by the camera and it suggests getting the card formatted by
the camera once more.

However, I can't raise the Menu in order to get the card Formatted; it
is simply stuck on "Memory card error".  I have tried to use Gnome
Format (to see if it makes any difference) but I'm not getting anywhere.

Does anyone know of any software that runs under Ubuntu 12.04 that
formats the SD memory cards *efficiently* for use with the Panasonic
LUMIX DMC-FZ10 range of cameras?

--Graham Todd

RE: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Michael.Coll-Barth

> From: Graham Todd
>
> I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory cards,
> and won't work at all without one.
>
> Does anyone know of any software that runs under Ubuntu 12.04 that
> formats the SD memory cards *efficiently* for use with the Panasonic
> LUMIX DMC-FZ10 range of cameras?
>
> --Graham Todd

Have you tried something like mkdosfs -F 32 -v (device name) where
device name is your SD card name found when doing a df?  This has worked
for me in the past.  At least you should be able to see the card in your
camera and reformat it there if the camera prefers another format.

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Wes James

On Nov 15, 2012 7:23 AM, "Graham Todd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory cards,

If it is sd only, then you can only use sd or 2 gig and smaller.  Above that you need support for sdhc.

> and won't work at all without one.
>
> I have three 4 gig cards, any and all

You need sdhc support for this.

<snip>

Wes

[...]

Bill Stanley
On 11/15/2012 09:22 AM, Graham Todd wrote:

> I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory cards,
> and won't work at all without one.
>
> I have three 4 gig cards, any and all of which gives a "Memory Card
> error" message when inserted into the camera an turned on. According to
> the manual troubleshooting info., this could be to the card being not
> recognised by the camera and it suggests getting the card formatted by
> the camera once more.
>
> However, I can't raise the Menu in order to get the card Formatted; it
> is simply stuck on "Memory card error".  I have tried to use Gnome
> Format (to see if it makes any difference) but I'm not getting anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know of any software that runs under Ubuntu 12.04 that
> formats the SD memory cards *efficiently* for use with the Panasonic
> LUMIX DMC-FZ10 range of cameras?
>
> --Graham Todd

I'm not quite sure of what device you want to do the formatting.  The
computer is the wrong device to do this.  The formatting should be done
by the camera and not the computer.  There has to be somewhere in the
camera to do the proper formatting.

Bill Stanley

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Sarunas Burdulis-3

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Dave Woyciesjes
On 11/15/2012 12:34 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

> On 11/15/2012 09:22 AM, Graham Todd wrote:
>> I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory cards,
>> and won't work at all without one.
>>
>> I have three 4 gig cards, any and all of which gives a "Memory Card
>> error" message when inserted into the camera an turned on. According to
>> the manual troubleshooting info., this could be to the card being not
>> recognised by the camera and it suggests getting the card formatted by
>> the camera once more.
>>
>> However, I can't raise the Menu in order to get the card Formatted; it
>> is simply stuck on "Memory card error".  I have tried to use Gnome
>> Format (to see if it makes any difference) but I'm not getting anywhere.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any software that runs under Ubuntu 12.04 that
>> formats the SD memory cards *efficiently* for use with the Panasonic
>> LUMIX DMC-FZ10 range of cameras?
>>
>> --Graham Todd
>
> I'm not quite sure of what device you want to do the formatting.  The
> computer is the wrong device to do this.  The formatting should be done
> by the camera and not the computer.  There has to be somewhere in the
> camera to do the proper formatting.

        I'm guessing that the camera does not suport the $GB card, which I bet
is SDHC.
        Quick searching with DuckDuckGo turns up only 2GB max options for that
camera model....

Ahh, here we go:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

  - from some guy on the internet.

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd-3
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:32:53 -0500
"Coll-Barth, Michael" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried something like mkdosfs -F 32 -v (device name) where
> device name is your SD card name found when doing a df?  This has
> worked for me in the past.  At least you should be able to see the
> card in your camera and reformat it there if the camera prefers
> another format.

No I haven't, Michael, but thanks for the heads-up!

I'll let the list know how I get on...

--Graham Todd

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd-3
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:34:24 -0500
Bill Stanley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure of what device you want to do the formatting.  The
> computer is the wrong device to do this.  The formatting should be
> done by the camera and not the computer.  There has to be somewhere
> in the camera to do the proper formatting.
>
> Bill Stanley

There is Bill.  Its the Format option from the Menu, but as long as the
card is in the camera, it won't allow me access to the Menu.

What I need is a method of formatting my card so the camera recognises
the card and so can properly format it.

Michael Coll-Barth has suggested I try:

mkdosfs -F 32 -v (device name) where
device name is your SD card name found when doing a df

I'll give it a go and let the list know my results.

In the meantime, do you know of any software which could provide me
with a "clean" format so I could reformat it with the camera?

--Graham Todd

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd-3
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:46:39 -0500
Dave Woyciesjes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahh, here we go:
> http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
> It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.

That's the answer: thanks Dave.

Curious that: it should be in the manual but I've looked through it
time and again and can't find it.  And yes, I can confirm it works with
a 2 gig card!

--Graham Todd

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Colin Law-4
On 16 November 2012 10:56, Graham Todd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:46:39 -0500
> Dave Woyciesjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ahh, here we go:
>> http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
>> It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.
>
> That's the answer: thanks Dave.
>
> Curious that: it should be in the manual but I've looked through it
> time and again and can't find it.  And yes, I can confirm it works with
> a 2 gig card!

Possibly when the manual was written SDHC did not exist.  If the
manual only mentions SD and not SDHC then it will probably not read
SDHC.  It is not the size of the card that is the problem, it is the
fact that it is SDHC which requires different hardware to drive it.

Colin

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Graham Todd-3

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

On 16 November 2012 10:56, Graham Todd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:46:39 -0500
> Dave Woyciesjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ahh, here we go:
>> http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
>> It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.
>
> That's the answer: thanks Dave.
>
> Curious that: it should be in the manual but I've looked through it
> time and again and can't find it.  And yes, I can confirm it works with
> a 2 gig card!

Also note:

2GB is the maximum size of a standard FAT16 filesystem. Bigger
requires FAT32. Some devices only support FAT16 and cannot read/write
FAT32.

It is extremely unlikely to work but there is a tiny tiny chance that
if you format the first 2GB of your cards as FAT126, they might work.
You will lose half the space but it might be worth a shot.

But any self-respecting technical type ought to know about FAT16
versus FAT32 and SD versus SDHC! :¬)

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Liam Proven
On 16 November 2012 11:48, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> if you format the first 2GB of your cards as FAT126, they might work.

Sorry. Typo. s/FAT126/FAT16

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Ric Moore
On 11/16/2012 06:47 AM, Graham Todd wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:45:17 -0500
> Sarunas Burdulis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on the
carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Tom Rausner-2
Den 16-11-2012 13:24, Ric Moore skrev:

> Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
> I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on
> the carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric

Attension all personel!
Jerk in the area!
Beware!

--
Tom Rausner
[hidden email]

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Jared Norris
On 16 November 2012 22:44, Tom Rausner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Den 16-11-2012 13:24, Ric Moore skrev:

Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on the carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric

Attension all personel!
Jerk in the area!
Beware!

--
Tom Rausner
[hidden email]
http://www.tomtech.dk
If one person thinks he's a monkey, it's called insanity.
If a billion persons think they are monkeys it's called Evolution

Ok ladies and gents, the op has been provided assistance. The answer wasn't found in Ubuntu but the original question was related. Can we all please keep it civil, it's been good around these parts for so long now so lets please try to keep it that way.

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Re: Formatting SD Memory Cards

Basil Chupin-2
On 16/11/12 23:24, Ric Moore wrote:
On 11/16/2012 06:47 AM, Graham Todd wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:45:17 -0500
Sarunas Burdulis [hidden email] wrote:

On 11/15/2012 12:34 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
On 11/15/2012 09:22 AM, Graham Todd wrote:
I have a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ10 camera that takes SD memory
cards, and won't work at all without one.

Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on the carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric

If yar dog is scooting her butt on the carpet it means that her anal glands need emptying (which you do by squeezing them between finger and thumb -- but use a cotton pad when doing so as the stuff wot comes out is...well....you'll find out :-) ).

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.3 & kernel 3.6.6-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

On 11/16/2012 05:56 AM, Graham Todd wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:46:39 -0500
> Dave Woyciesjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ahh, here we go:
>> http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/connect/dsc/dmc_fz10.html
>> It appears that this camera doesn't like 4GB cards.
>
> That's the answer: thanks Dave.
>
> Curious that: it should be in the manual but I've looked through it
> time and again and can't find it.  And yes, I can confirm it works with
> a 2 gig card!
>
> --Graham Todd

        That's probably because the manual was likely written before the SDHC
format & 4GB cards were on the market. :)

On 11/16/2012 07:24 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 11/16/2012 06:47 AM, Graham Todd wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:45:17 -0500
>> Sarunas Burdulis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
> I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on the
> carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric

        Relax Ric. It was related to Ubuntu, because the OP wanted to use
Ubuntu  to fix his problem....
        Run out of Vicodin?

On 11/16/2012 07:44 AM, Tom Rausner wrote:
> Den 16-11-2012 13:24, Ric Moore skrev:
>>
>> Hey! Anyone know where I can get a good deal on an oil change?
>> I am interested in swapping recipes, too. My dog scoots her butt on
>> the carpet, think she has worms?? <swears> Ric
>>
> Attension all personel!
> Jerk in the area!
> Beware!

Shoot,, everyone that knows me knows that I am a lovable curmudgeon. I
just don't think this is the place to discuss Cameras. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html