Fwd: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Fwd: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Volker Wysk
Hello

The !$"% problem shows again. I can't boot any longer. The password is
rejected. When started in recovery mode, it says that the volume group
"ubuntu-vg" is not found, and that /dev/sdb2 can't be unlocked because
it is not a valid LUKS device. /dev/sdb2 is the (encrypted) part of
the SSD, in which the cache for the HDD is stored.

I'd send a photo, but the mailing list rules don't allow that.

So the problem occurs very early, when unlocking the crypto discs. Not
sure what that tells us.

Any ideas??

Bye
Volker

Re: Fwd: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 7/8/19 12:34 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> So the problem occurs very early, when unlocking the crypto discs. Not
> sure what that tells us.
>
> Any ideas??

Have there been any updates to the caching utility recently? or any
other programs/utils like LVM that are involved?

Re: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Volker Wysk

Zitat von compdoc <[hidden email]>:

> On 7/8/19 12:34 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
>> So the problem occurs very early, when unlocking the crypto discs.
>> Not sure what that tells us.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>
> Have there been any updates to the caching utility recently? or any
> other programs/utils like LVM that are involved?

After I brought the machine back from the computer shop, all went
well. Then, when I booted for the second time, the problem occured. I
haven't installed anything in the short time in between.

Bye
Volker

On 7/8/19 12:50 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> I haven't installed anything in the short time in between.

No, I mean since when the problem first started occurring, were there
any updates to these tools? Our have you updated the ssd's, hdd's, or
motherboard's firmwares before the onset of this problem?

Re: Fwd: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 08.07.2019, 20:34 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> I'd send a photo, but the mailing list rules don't allow that.

try https://imgur.com/ and just attach the link to your mail (it works
like a pastebin for pictures) ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Little Girl
Hey there,

Volker Wysk wrote:

>The !$"% problem shows again. I can't boot any longer. The password
>is rejected. When started in recovery mode, it says that the volume
>group "ubuntu-vg" is not found, and that /dev/sdb2 can't be unlocked
>because it is not a valid LUKS device. /dev/sdb2 is the (encrypted)
>part of the SSD, in which the cache for the HDD is stored.

Maybe one of these pages will be of use:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=can%27t+be+unlocked+becauseit+is+not+a+valid+LUKS+device

The Linux Mint forum suggestion for typing out your password in a
text editor (or into a field that doesn't hide the characters) to
look at it and make sure it looks right might help. I've occasionally
left the caps-lock key on when it should have been off or vice versa
and/or forgotten to add punctuation or characters to a password even
when it's one I use regularly. Maybe you're having the same type of
issue at the moment.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:28:23 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>The Linux Mint forum suggestion for typing out your password in a
>text editor (or into a field that doesn't hide the characters) to
>look at it and make sure it looks right might help. I've occasionally
>left the caps-lock key on when it should have been off or vice versa
>and/or forgotten to add punctuation or characters to a password even
>when it's one I use regularly. Maybe you're having the same type of
>issue at the moment.

Linux installs are prone to broken keyboard layouts. It's not an issue
for conservatives installs, using an xorg.conf for the global keyboard
layouts and no bloated environment or fishy tools, but especially for
Ubuntu flavour defaults a stable keyboard layout could be a PITA. I
noticed the Ubuntu flavour pitfalls when writing scripts to set up live
media. The way global and local keyboard layouts are set does change
for Ubuntu flavour releases. A script working for one live media, could
be broken for another live media. In short, if the used keyboard
shouldn't be an international en_us layout and a user didn't manually
set up a conservative configuration, but used the recommended tools and
Ubuntu flavour defaults, easily could end up with inconsistent keyboard
layouts for the display manager, terminal and graphic user session and
the best with this is, sometimes the keyboard layouts could be ok, while
randomly they could be inconsistent.

Step by step I set up my Arch (really KISS) and Ubuntu (as much KISS as
possible with Ubuntu) from minimal installs without a GUI environment at
all, to avoid such pitfalls as inconsistent keyboard layouts.

If somebody does use a completely non-KISS default Ubuntu {,flavour}
install and add some own special setups, I wouldn't be surprised
about inconsistent keyboard layouts.

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>Linux installs are prone to broken keyboard layouts.

[SNIP]

>If somebody does use a completely non-KISS default Ubuntu {,flavour}
>install and add some own special setups, I wouldn't be surprised
>about inconsistent keyboard layouts.

Good point. Another thing about non-standard hardware (like a
specialty wireless keyboard) is that it might not consistently "play
nice" on boot-up even if it seems to usually do so, although I'm
making a wild guess with that.

I'm as guilty of owning such things as the next person and, so far
(knock on wood), mine hasn't failed me yet on my work computer even
though I've had it for a couple of years now.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 20:35, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any ideas??

Yes.

Bin this over-complex, fault-prone disk setup and use something much simpler.

At least as a troubleshooting step.

On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 12:33 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> At least as a troubleshooting step.

Indeed, for troubleshooting purpose a standard install is a good idea.
At the moment nobody knows, if it's an issue caused by the hardware or
by anything else.

Re: Filesystem corruption - Problem strikes again

Volker Wysk

Zitat von compdoc <[hidden email]>:

> On 7/8/19 12:50 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
>> I haven't installed anything in the short time in between.
>

> No, I mean since when the problem first started occurring, were
> there any updates to these tools? Our have you updated the ssd's,
> hdd's, or motherboard's firmwares before the onset of this problem?

I've reinstalled cryptsetup, since the binary was corrupted. I haven't
touched any firmware (at least explicitly). I'm not sure if there was
something else, since a lot has happened...

Bye
V.W.

Zitat von Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]>:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 08.07.2019, 20:34 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
>>
>> I'd send a photo, but the mailing list rules don't allow that.
>>

> try https://imgur.com/ and just attach the link to your mail (it works
> like a pastebin for pictures) ...

Here it is:

https://imgur.com/a/DXOxoZc

Bye
Volker

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2019-07-09 at 12:33 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> At least as a troubleshooting step.
>
> Indeed, for troubleshooting purpose a standard install is a good idea.
> At the moment nobody knows, if it's an issue caused by the hardware or
> by anything else.

That's what I'm doing right now. I'll leave the SSD alone for now, and
look if the problem still occurs.

Volker

Zitat von Little Girl <[hidden email]>:

> Hey there,
>
> Volker Wysk wrote:
>
>> The !$"% problem shows again. I can't boot any longer. The password
>> is rejected. When started in recovery mode, it says that the volume
>> group "ubuntu-vg" is not found, and that /dev/sdb2 can't be unlocked
>> because it is not a valid LUKS device. /dev/sdb2 is the (encrypted)
>> part of the SSD, in which the cache for the HDD is stored.
>
> Maybe one of these pages will be of use:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=can%27t+be+unlocked+becauseit+is+not+a+valid+LUKS+device
>
> The Linux Mint forum suggestion for typing out your password in a
> text editor (or into a field that doesn't hide the characters) to
> look at it and make sure it looks right might help. I've occasionally
> left the caps-lock key on when it should have been off or vice versa
> and/or forgotten to add punctuation or characters to a password even
> when it's one I use regularly. Maybe you're having the same type of
> issue at the moment.

The messages about LVS and LUKS rule out the possibility that it's
just a problem with the password. But thanks.

Bye,
Volker

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 15:28:25 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>The messages about LVS and LUKS rule out the possibility that it's
>just a problem with the password. But thanks.

So you noticed, that we have problems to follow your complicated setup.
IMO Little Girl's shot in the dark was a very good thought, hence my
additional shot regarding keyboard layout settings.

Ok, our bad. Please try something simple! The simpler, the better!

To rule our borked hardware, make the next install idiot prove.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 15:52:01 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>To rule our borked hardware, make the next install idiot prove.
                                                    idiotproof