Fwd: Root password

Ryan Meder
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryan Meder <[hidden email]>
Date: 07-Nov-2005 12:34
Subject: Root password
To: [hidden email].

I have resently installed ubantu and would like to log in as the root user
I su root
but don't know what the password is: can somebody please help when I
installed it asked for a username and password but not a root account
password and at the moment am unable to log in as root.

thanks ryan

Re: Fwd: Root password

Henning Kilset Pedersen
man, 07,.11.2005 kl. 12.35 +0200, skrev Ryan Meder:

> [...]

You don't "log in" as root per se in Ubuntu as per the default setup.
You can get a root shell by typing

  sudo -i

or prefixing root-required commands with sudo i.e.

  sudo apt-get install kdevelop3

When asked for a password, you type your user password.

If you wish several users to be able to log in as root, type

  sudo visudo

and edit that file. (no, that's not a typo, you need to use the visudo
command, not vi sudo).

This is more secure, since there is no password on the root account, and
it's then not subject to brute force password attacks.

Regards,
Henning Pedersen
mopo as

(and for the future, this belongs in ubuntu-users, not ubuntu-devel).

Cheers!

Re: Fwd: Root password

Joe Potter
Ryan Meder wrote:

> [...]

You should use the users e-mail list (ubuntu-users) for support
questions. This list is for the developers.

The root account has no passwd in the default mode of Ubuntu. You may
give root a password by:

"sudo passwd root" from the command line.

Please sign up for ubuntu-users.

--
Joe