Fwd: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers

Rik Mills-2
Could pose us a problem.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:05:55 -0300
From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <[hidden email]>
To: Debian KDE ML <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email]

After quite some time maintaining Qt in Debian both Dmitry Shachnev
and I decided to not maintain Qt 6 when it's published (expected in
December 2020, see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_6.0_Release). We will do our
best to keep the Qt 5 codebase up and running.

We **love** Qt, but it's a huge codebase and requires time and build
power, both things that we are currently lacking, so we decided it's
time for us to step down and pass the torch. And a new major version
seems the right point to do that.

We will be happy to review and/or sponsor other people's work or even
occasionally do uploads, but we can't promise to do it regularly.

Some things we think potential Qt 6 maintainers should be familiar
with are, of course, C++ packaging (specially symbols files) and
CMake, as Qt 6 will be built with it.

We also encourage prospective maintainers to remove the source's
-everywhere-src suffixes and just keep the base names as source
package names: qtbase6, qtdeclarative6, etc.

It has been an interesting ride all these years, we really hope you
enjoyed using Qt.

Thanks for everything,

  Dmitry and Lisandro.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/

Re: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers

Valorie Zimmerman
I agree, Rik -- it could be a problem. On the other hand, neon manages to package Qt -- is there any discussion about using that packaging in Debian? It seems crazy to package something so massive *twice*.

Valorie

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could pose us a problem.

Re: Stepping down as Qt 6 maintainers

Dmitry Shachnev-2
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 06:55:54PM -0700, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> I agree, Rik -- it could be a problem. On the other hand, neon manages to
> package Qt -- is there any discussion about using that packaging in Debian?
> It seems crazy to package something so massive *twice*.

Neon packaging is based on our (Debian's) packaging, so it is not really
twice.

If they decide to contribute back to Debian they are always welcome.

--
Dmitry Shachnev