Fwd: Ubuntu kernel config for audio

Colin Ian King-2

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Ubuntu kernel config for audio
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:03:37 -0600
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart <[hidden email]>
To: Hui Wang <[hidden email]>, Colin King <[hidden email]>

Hi,

I took your contact information from the alsa-devel mailing list, you
seem to be the most active folks from Canonical on this mailing list.

I noticed that the Ubuntu 17.10 kernel enables this option in
config-4.13.0-16-generic

CONFIG_SND_SOC_INTEL_BYT_CHT_NOCODEC_MACH=m

This is really for test environments or platforms with a connector, I
don't think it should be enabled by default (better to fail the probe
rather than get questions from users that they have no sound)

While I am at it, you will need to enable
CONFIG_SND_SOC_INTEL_SST_TOPLEVEL=m starting with 4.15-rc1, otherwise
the ASoC drivers from Intel will not be enabled. This option was added
recently to avoid compilation issues with randconfig, but this changes
the default configs.

Can you please forward this information in Ubuntu circles?

Thanks

-Pierre