GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

Pin2
dear team,

i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed few applications such as firefox, python3.6 and then after that i got an error message that my terminal is stucked when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode, kinldy suggest what causes this error.

is there any way to switch it again to GUI MODE?????
Thanks
Pintoo Yadav

Re: GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

Mike Marchywka
On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 05:59:35PM +0530, Pin2 wrote:
>    dear team,
>    i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed few applications such
>    as firefox, python3.6 and then after that i got an error message that
>    my terminal is stucked when i restarted the system than it's changed to
>    CLI mode, kinldy suggest what causes this error.

What was the last thing on the screen? Although apparently it is popular
now to suppress that start up :) Why did you get rid of python or is
that not the newest version you have? A lot of stuff uses that.

I had a worse problem with grub after destroying mount and nmount
during a botched upgrade- apparently nothing could lock and started
crashing and then grub would not work. I'm hoping the standalone grub
on EFI is a bit less dependent on other things now but
before you start deleting things I often rename them or move them
so I can get them back easily. If tight on space, compress them.

>    is there any way to switch it again to GUI MODE?????
>    Thanks
>    Pintoo Yadav

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

ubuntu-users mailing list
>On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 05:59:35PM +0530, Pin2 wrote:
>> i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed few applications
>> [snip] after that i got an error message that my terminal is stucked
>> when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode

Hi,

try running

  sudo apt update
  sudo apt install --fix-broken
  shutdown -h r

Regards,
Ralf

On Wed, 8 May 2019 14:57:24 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 05:59:35PM +0530, Pin2 wrote:
>>> i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed few applications
>>> [snip] after that i got an error message that my terminal is stucked
>>> when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode
>
>Hi,
>
>try running
>
>  sudo apt update
>  sudo apt install --fix-broken
>  shutdown -h r

Oops, it should read

   shutdown -r now

;)

On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 14:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > try running
> >
> >  sudo apt update
> >  sudo apt install --fix-broken
> >  shutdown -h r
>
> Oops, it should read
>
>    shutdown -r now

"sudo apt install --fix-broken" would only fix broken dependencies, but
depending on what you removed, there is nothing broken.

Take a look at

  grep -e remove -e purge /var/log/apt/history.log | sort --reverse | grep -v autoremove | less

maybe you removed something essential.

If it's not much output you could redirect it to a file by running

  grep -e remove -e purge /var/log/apt/history.log | sort --reverse | grep -v autoremove > /tmp/output.txt

and attache the file to a reply.

Re: GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

ubuntu-users mailing list
Also consider to take a look at the log files. Most important could be
the X log file and the display manager's and it's greeter's log files.
Assuming you are using X and not Wayland, run

  grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I don't know where Wayland has got its log file/s and what display
manager you are using, so Google is your friend.

Re: GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 08.05.2019, 17:59 +0530 schrieb Pin2:
> dear team,
>
> i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed ... python3.6 and
> then after that i got an error message that my terminal is stucked
> when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode, kinldy
> suggest what causes this error.

you removed one of the most essential language packages from your
system ... lots of applications require python3 (3.6). when you removed
it you should have gotten a big list of other "to be removed" packages
and indeed a y/n question if you really want to proceed. you should
really have read that list (and understood what each of these packages
does) ... and have refrained from proceeding ;)

i'd go back to the original state with:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^

(note the caret at the end of the line is required (it installs the
task, not just the meta package, which resolves dependencies
differently))

then remove firefox again and leave python3 untouched ...

ciao
        oli

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 03:28:57PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.05.2019, 17:59 +0530 schrieb Pin2:
> > dear team,
> >
> > i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed ... python3.6 and
> > then after that i got an error message that my terminal is stucked
> > when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode, kinldy
> > suggest what causes this error.
>
> you removed one of the most essential language packages from your
> system ... lots of applications require python3 (3.6). when you removed
> it you should have gotten a big list of other "to be removed" packages
> and indeed a y/n question if you really want to proceed. you should
> really have read that list (and understood what each of these packages
> does) ... and have refrained from proceeding ;)

I'm still not clear on what this post means by CLI - the DM started
up or it booted in single user recovery mode. In any case this is why
I'm making my own bootable USB's as well as recovery disks :)

If it came up with a grub menu and did not have the normal option
just a recovery that is one issue, if you ran kexec that may be another.
If it is starting X and then crashing that is much different.

I don't know how you could remove these things using any package manager
without getting some cooncerns - I though you were just deleting things :)
Although again I loaded incompatible mount and umount etc while the
system was running so I can understand ...

> i'd go back to the original state with:
>
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
>
> (note the caret at the end of the line is required (it installs the
> task, not just the meta package, which resolves dependencies
> differently))
>
> then remove firefox again and leave python3 untouched ...
>
> ciao
> oli

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

On Wed, 08 May 2019 15:28:57 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>i'd go back to the original state with:
>
>sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^

That probably does the trick, but don't forget to run

 sudo apt-get update

first.

Re: GUI to CLI Modechange automatically

Pin2
thanks ralf it fixes the issue for me :)
Pintoo Yadav

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:46:30AM +0530, Pin2 wrote:
>    thanks ralf it fixes the issue for me :)

So what exactly were you trying to do?
I guess if you tried to restart the display manager from the
command line, assuming you made it to multiuser mode,
it may give some useful error message.
If you look in /etc/init.d you can probably find how it is normally started.

I was going to try to boot 'Beaver on more old machines and want
to remove many things like the unattended updates and curious if
you stumbled onto anything interesting.

>    Pintoo Yadav
>
>    On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 6:29 PM Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
>    <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      >On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 05:59:35PM +0530, Pin2 wrote:
>      >> i am using Ubuntu 18.04, in which i had removed few applications
>      >> [snip] after that i got an error message that my terminal is
>      stucked
>      >> when i restarted the system than it's changed to CLI mode
>      Hi,
>      try running
>        sudo apt update
>        sudo apt install --fix-broken