Game Sound only when run from console

Richard Querin
Hi,

I've got system sounds and video and audio playback sounds working fine. However, program sounds like in games (gcompris, frozen bubble, tuxracer) only seem to work if I run the program from the console (not sudo'd, just run from console as normal user). If I run them from the menu there is no sound. Any idea what the fix might be?

Richard

Re: Game Sound only when run from console

Lee Braiden-2
On Sunday 06 November 2005 04:41, Richard Querin wrote:
> I've got system sounds and video and audio playback sounds working fine.
> However, program sounds like in games (gcompris, frozen bubble, tuxracer)
> only seem to work if I run the program from the console (not sudo'd, just
> run from console as normal user). If I run them from the menu there is no
> sound. Any idea what the fix might be?

I'm guessing your desktop environment is running a sound daemon that is
getting in the way.  Sound support on Linux still sucks, sadly.  But open a
terminal, and run:

pkill artsd
pkill esd
pkill jack

and then try running your game again.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com

Re: Game Sound only when run from console

chrisccoulson

Try opening a terminal and typing "killall esd" before running your
games.

If that works, then change your Sound System to ALSA in System ->
Preferences

--
kairu0

Re: Game Sound only when run from console

chrisccoulson

Follow the advices in 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/ddhjb) thread. Then you
should be all set.

--