Garbage in package info (Help!!)

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Something went seriously wrong with my installation.

I can't run cryptsetup:

desktop ~ % LANG=C cryptsetup
/sbin/cryptsetup: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token
`$'\236\3405\023^\373\016\'?\361\260\030Vt\310\351\307a\r\252\324\201h\
331|\366\302*?  (...)

I've tried to reinstall it, but this leads to this:

desktop ~ % LANG=C apt-get install --reinstall cryptsetup
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 12 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/151 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 files list file for package 'libkf5unitconversion5:amd64' is missing
final newline

The package libkf5unitconversion5, which it depends on, has garbage in
its list file:

desktop ~ % head -n1 \
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libkf5unitconversion5\:amd64.list
��%�o�D�4�CnF�����WW��P�EW*23n9b@�G�.��9�#)�GY� �V* (...)

So has the symbols file
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libkf5unitconversion5:amd64.symbols.

And this goes on with more packages, at least with
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libkf5unitconversion-data.list

What in the world is going on??

Volker

Filesystem corruption (was: Garbage in package info (Help!!))

Volker Wysk
Hi

Some additional information.

The affected package infos are:

desktop /var/lib/dpkg/info % file  * | egrep data$
ca-certificates-java.list:                               data
libkf5itemmodels5:amd64.symbols:                         data
libkf5itemmodels5:amd64.triggers:                        data
libkf5unitconversion5:amd64.list:                        data
libkf5unitconversion5:amd64.symbols:                     data
libkf5unitconversion-data.list:                          data
libkf5unitconversion-data.md5sums:                       data
mesa-common-dev:amd64.md5sums:                           777 archive
data
xdg-utils.md5sums:                                       data

There is also the cryptsetup binary affected.

And I've had some pictures with garbage in them.

And more ?!?!

Something bad is happening. What could it be? Can this be
troubleshooted?

Bye, and thanks for any help,
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: Garbage in package info (Help!!))

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I noticed
them.

There's probably more.

How could this happen?  :-((

It seems like I will install a new Ubuntu from scratch. This is sooner
than I wanted to. I can't leave things like they are, because probably,
there will be more corruption in the background.

Bye
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 6/25/19 11:34 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I noticed
> them.
>
> There's probably more.
>
> How could this happen?  :-((

Its a good time to read the SMART info from the boot drive, and any
other drives, to see if they're failing

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 12:29 -0600 schrieb compdoc:

> On 6/25/19 11:34 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I
> > noticed
> > them.
> >
> > There's probably more.
> >
> > How could this happen?  :-((
> >

> Its a good time to read the SMART info from the boot drive, and any
> other drives, to see if they're failing

OK, when I do "sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda", I get:

    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Does this mean that my drive is okay? For /dev/sdb, it's the same.

I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?

Bye,
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com

On 6/25/19 1:07 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

OK, when I do "sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda", I get:

     SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Does this mean that my drive is okay? For /dev/sdb, it's the same.

I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?

Bye,
Volker

Unfortunately, no. Drive makers set thresholds for some events. The number can be different from model to model, but lets say they allow 10 bad sectors before SMART shows warnings. Well, any bad sectors means you probably have damaged files.

You should read the relocated sector count, pending sector count, and reallocation count. They should all be 0 (zero)

Laptop hdds also have a counter that shows how many g forces the drive has experienced, if its been dropped in other words.

Re: Filesystem corruption

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:07:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?

On Ubuntu installing the package smartmontools automatically enables
smartd. Running

  systemctl status smartd.service

does show the status. On Linux distros that automatically enable
smartd, I disable it manually. However, to use smartctl, there is no
need to run smartd.

In addition to what compdoc already mentioned, even if all attributes
should be ok, the HDD could be broken. The systemctl output for the
attributes for almost all HDDs that failed in my machines was ok.

I can't comment on your corrupted files. In my experiences, if a HDD is
broken, you hear unexpected noises and/or performance, not only HDD
performance, but als GUI performance slows down rapidly.

I'm seldom using GUI file managers, usually I'm using command line.
Fish HDDs tend to cause input/output errors. At the beginning they
happen very seldom and in the end they always happen.

I don't know if this applies to SSDs, too. For the integrated drives I
completely migrated from HDDs to SSDs, but I don't have experience with
dying SSDs yet. At least I doubt that SSDs will make strange noises.

Re: Filesystem corruption (was: Garbage in package info (Help!!))

Colin Law
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 18:37, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I noticed
> them.
>
> There's probably more.
>
> How could this happen?  :-((

Have you run the Disks utility to check if the hard disc is failing?

Colin

Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 21:24 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> > I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I
> > noticed
> > them.
> >
> > There's probably more.
> >
> > How could this happen?  :-((
>
> Have you run the Disks utility to check if the hard disc is failing?

You mean the program which can be started as "Disks" from the Gnome
activity overview? This says "The drive is all right" ("Das Laufwerk
ist in Ordnung") for both drives. (Hard disk and SSD).

Bye
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 13:33 -0600 schrieb compdoc:

> On 6/25/19 1:07 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > OK, when I do "sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda", I get:

> >      SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
> >
> > Does this mean that my drive is okay? For /dev/sdb, it's the same.
> >
> > I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?
> >
> > Bye,
> > Volker
> >

> Unfortunately, no. Drive makers set thresholds for some events. The
> number can be different from model to model, but lets say they allow
> 10 bad sectors before SMART shows warnings. Well, any bad sectors
> means you probably have damaged files.
>
> You should read the relocated sector count, pending sector count, and
> reallocation count. They should all be 0 (zero)

There is no "relocated sector count" in the output of "smartctl --all
/dev/sda". But there is Reallocated_Sector_Ct and
Current_Pending_Sector. The values are:

ID#  ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
(...)
5    Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
(...)
197  Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
(...)

/dev/sda is a hard disk. This is for /dev/sdb, which is an SSD:

ID#  ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
(...)
5    Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
(...)

There is no Current_Pending_Sector, and also no "relocated sector
count", for /dev/sdb.

Is this what you had in mind? And is the "RAW_VALUE" what should be
zero..?

Thanks,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 07:35, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 21:24 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> > > I've been able to reinstall the affected packages, as far as I
> > > noticed
> > > them.
> > >
> > > There's probably more.
> > >
> > > How could this happen?  :-((
> >
> > Have you run the Disks utility to check if the hard disc is failing?
>
> You mean the program which can be started as "Disks" from the Gnome
> activity overview? This says "The drive is all right" ("Das Laufwerk
> ist in Ordnung") for both drives. (Hard disk and SSD).

I see in the original thread that you have looked at the SMART data,
that is effectively what the Disks utility does.  I am not sure that
it is advisable to split a thread in this way, it leads to confusion.

Colin

> Bye
> Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2019, 22:00 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
ubuntu-users:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:07:06 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > I guess, I don't have to run the SMART daemon, do I?
>
> On Ubuntu installing the package smartmontools automatically enables
> smartd. Running
>
>   systemctl status smartd.service
>
> does show the status.

This doesn't show anything suspicious. "journalctl -u smartd" doesn't
either.

> On Linux distros that automatically enable
> smartd, I disable it manually. However, to use smartctl, there is no
> need to run smartd.
>
> In addition to what compdoc already mentioned, even if all attributes
> should be ok, the HDD could be broken. The systemctl output for the
> attributes for almost all HDDs that failed in my machines was ok.
>
> I can't comment on your corrupted files. In my experiences, if a HDD
> is
> broken, you hear unexpected noises and/or performance, not only HDD
> performance, but als GUI performance slows down rapidly.

I don't have anything like this. The GUI performance dropped somewhat,
but that seems to be due to switching vom KDE to Gnome. Nothing
serious.

> I'm seldom using GUI file managers, usually I'm using command line.
> Fish HDDs tend to cause input/output errors. At the beginning they
> happen very seldom and in the end they always happen.

You mean "Fishy"?

> I don't know if this applies to SSDs, too. For the integrated drives
> completely migrated from HDDs to SSDs, but I don't have experience
> with
> dying SSDs yet. At least I doubt that SSDs will make strange noises.

My HDD is 3,5 years old. The SSD is 1,5 years old. This doesn't sound
very old, does it?

Now i'm wondering if I should buy a new hard disk, before I reinstall
Ubuntu...

And I wonder if my backup is corrupted too. Probably...

Bye and thanks,
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 10:09:11 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>You mean "Fishy"?

Hi,

yes, I'm typing with two fingers, but faster than the Flash could run,
too fast for the keyboard.

>My HDD is 3,5 years old. The SSD is 1,5 years old. This doesn't sound
>very old, does it?

You never know, anything can happen, or as you and I say in German,
man hat schon Pferde vor der Apotheke kotzen gesehen.

>Now i'm wondering if I should buy a new hard disk, before I reinstall
>Ubuntu...

3 ½ years could be a long time for a HDD, if it often needed to spin
down and spin up. IOW if the machine is running 24/7, then 3½ years
isn't old. If you shut down/power off and start up the machine several
times a day or the HDD goes asleep and you or for example the evil gvfs
of your GNOME install (or KDE's equivalent) wakes up the drive several
times a day, than the drive could be old, already after ½ year or
earlier.

>And I wonder if my backup is corrupted too. Probably...

You are probably using a bad backup strategy. You should be able to
restore from different old backups. The files from the latest backups
are most likely corrupted, too, but a backup from 4 weeks ago might be
ok.

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:52:22 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>This is for /dev/sdb, which is an SSD

Your SSD is not in the smartctl data base. The SSDs I'm using are also
not in its data base. The vendor of my SSDs provides proprietary,
but free as in beer Linux software.

If I run

  sudo ocz-ssd-utility

or gksudo..., I can access smart data, update the firmware while the
SSDs are used etc., for Arch Linux I'm using a PKGBUILD from the AUR,
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ocz-ssd-utility/. If you take a look
at the PKGBUILD, it's just a script, you can see the source,
https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/download/software/ssd-utility/${pkgver}/SSDUtility_${pkgver}_Linux.zip
replace "${pkgver}" with "2.3.2963", IOW use
https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/download/software/ssd-utility/2.3.2963/SSDUtility_2.3.2963_Linux.zip
assuming you should have an OCZ SSD.

The raw value for the Current_Pending_Sector attribute of your HDD
should be 0.

For the SSD all smart "functunality" related values should be 0, resp.
my SSDs show idiotic unexpected power loss count values and I ignore
those values, but the bad block count etc. values are 0 and should be 0
for your SSD, too.

On what drive are the corrupted files?
Are you using SATA cables with or without clips?
I don't know if you should purchase a new drive, but it doesn't harm to
reconnect the SATA and power cables and to replace SATA cables without
clips by those with clips.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Mittwoch, den 26.06.2019, 11:10 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via
ubuntu-users:

> > Now i'm wondering if I should buy a new hard disk, before I
> > reinstall
> > Ubuntu...
>
> 3 ½ years could be a long time for a HDD, if it often needed to spin
> down and spin up. IOW if the machine is running 24/7, then 3½ years
> isn't old. If you shut down/power off and start up the machine
> several
> times a day or the HDD goes asleep and you or for example the evil
> gvfs
> of your GNOME install (or KDE's equivalent) wakes up the drive
> several
> times a day, than the drive could be old, already after ½ year or
> earlier.

Never heard of this.

It's virtually running 24/7. I'm not sure if it goes asleep and is
waken up all the time. Never heard of the evil GVFS... Isn't there a
tool or setting, which ensures that the harddisk isn't going into sleep
mode?

> > And I wonder if my backup is corrupted too. Probably...
>
> You are probably using a bad backup strategy. You should be able to
> restore from different old backups. The files from the latest backups
> are most likely corrupted, too, but a backup from 4 weeks ago might
> be
> ok.

That's the backup strategy I'm using. I've written a program for that.
I'm using several "generations", for backups with different age and
hence size. When the time is up in a generation, a new backup in that
generation is done. Afterwards a backup in the more frequent generation
is made, which is incremental to the last less-frequent generation.
It's a little hard to explain.

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:52:22 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > This is for /dev/sdb, which is an SSD
>
> Your SSD is not in the smartctl data base.

I think it is. "sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb" prints this (among other
things):

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Red
Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E7LACSDS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 20b871f92
Firmware Version: 82.00A82
User Capacity:    4.000.787.030.016 bytes [4,00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jun 26 12:41:07 2019 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

(Look at "Device is:")

> The SSDs I'm using are also
> not in its data base. The vendor of my SSDs provides proprietary,
> but free as in beer Linux software.
>
> If I run
>
>   sudo ocz-ssd-utility

That's a propriety tool by Toshiba. I'm using a Samsung, which someone
(an acquaintance of my father) with much experience endorses.

> or gksudo..., I can access smart data, update the firmware while the
> SSDs are used etc., for Arch Linux I'm using a PKGBUILD from the AUR,
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ocz-ssd-utility/.

There is no such tool in the Ubuntu package sources...

> If you take a look
> at the PKGBUILD, it's just a script, you can see the source,

https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/download/software/ssd-utility/${pkgver}/SSDUtility_${pkgver}_Linux.zip
> replace "${pkgver}" with "2.3.2963", IOW use

https://ssd.toshiba-memory.com/download/software/ssd-utility/2.3.2963/SSDUtility_2.3.2963_Linux.zip
> assuming you should have an OCZ SSD.

It's a Samsung.

> The raw value for the Current_Pending_Sector attribute of your HDD
> should be 0.

It is.

> For the SSD all smart "functunality" related values should be 0,
> resp.
> my SSDs show idiotic unexpected power loss count values and I ignore
> those values, but the bad block count etc. values are 0 and should be
> 0
> for your SSD, too.

The Runtime_Bad_Block is 0.

The "Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds" of the SSD
has the following attributes, all being zero:
Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Used_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot,
Program_Fail_Cnt_Total, Erase_Fail_Count_Total,
Runtime_Bad_Block, Uncorrectable_Error_Cnt, ECC_Error_Rate,
CRC_Error_Count.

The "WHEN_FAILED" value was "-" for all attributes.

These attributes have values other than zero: Power_On_Hours,
Power_Cycle_Count, Wear_Leveling_Count, Airflow_Temperature_Cel,
POR_Recovery_Count, Total_LBAs_Written.

> On what drive are the corrupted files?

Two drives are involved. I'm having a big HDD (4 TB), and use a 500 GB-
SSD as a persistent cache. It's all in one, encrypted file system. It
works (worked??) very well.

I think the SSD shouldn't be the reason.

> Are you using SATA cables with or without clips?
> I don't know if you should purchase a new drive, but it doesn't harm
> reconnect the SATA and power cables and to replace SATA cables
> without
> clips by those with clips.

I've peeked inside my box, and it seems there are no clips. Just flat
plugs. And a lot of cables, which are bound together. Looks hard to
replace...

Isn't there a tool, which scans a harddisk for bad blocks, or for
corruption?

Bye
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 6/26/19 12:52 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> here is no Current_Pending_Sector, and also no "relocated sector
> count", for /dev/sdb.
>
> Is this what you had in mind? And is the "RAW_VALUE" what should be
> zero..?

Yes, if those values are zero, it sounds like your drives are fine. I
would look elsewhere. You can run the memtest86 that Ubuntu usually has
as a boot option, or download and boot it from the web. Let it run
several passes. Power supplies in desktop computers can fail in weird
ways, too.

You mentioned using the ssd as a cache. how is that setup? Corruption
isn't a common thing. Do you think you might have lost power while the
machine was writing to a drive?

Re: Filesystem corruption

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 08:40 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> Power supplie

Now that you mentioned the power supply, on modern computers I replace
the CMOS battery more often then needed. In my experiences an old
computer works even with an empty battery, but on modern machines I
experienced the battery as the cause for all kinds of issues.

Regarding the SATA cables. If you don't want to replace SATA cables
without clips, at least consider to reconnect and hot glue them. Don't
worry, after hot gluing you still could replace the cables. SATA without
clips or without hot glue provide the most worse connections I
experienced im 52 years of live time. Is it the vibration of mechanical
drives? Is it the vibration of the floorboards in my home studio? I
don't know, but SATA connections without safety measures are a PITA,
absolutely unusable in my experiences. YMMV!

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Mittwoch, den 26.06.2019, 08:40 -0600 schrieb compdoc:
> You can run the memtest86 that Ubuntu usually has
> as a boot option, or download and boot it from the web. Let it run
> several passes.

Good. I'll do it.

> Power supplies in desktop computers can fail in weird
> ways, too.
>
> You mentioned using the ssd as a cache. how is that setup?

It's a feature of the device-mapper, called "LVM cache" or "dm-cache".
It was quite complicated to set up, especially to get the cache
activated at boot time.

I have made instructions for myself, so I can repeat it again.

> Corruption
> isn't a common thing. Do you think you might have lost power while
> the
> machine was writing to a drive?

I had done a hard reset, on two occasions... I had to do e2fsck, at the
next boot time.

Cheers
Volker

Re: Filesystem corruption

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 6/26/19 9:13 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> It's a feature of the device-mapper, called "LVM cache" or "dm-cache".
> It was quite complicated to set up, especially to get the cache
> activated at boot time.

Intel used to have a feature that allowed you to use a small ssd as a
cache for the system. Back when small ssd were still expensive.

I used it a year, and it blew up twice during that time and had to be
rebuilt. Worked great otherwise. Never lost any data.

But with ssd speed, reliability, and low prices, its more reliable to
boot from them directly and use the hdd as storage. Anything complicated
to set up means less reliable, harder to trouble-shoot.

SSDs are still evolving. Now they make them with an m.2 connector, and
the speeds are incredible. They've stripped off the sata interface and
thin cable, and now attach them directly to a 4-lane pci-e bus.

Re: Filesystem corruption

Volker Wysk
Am Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2019, 19:32:30 CEST schrieb compdoc:
> On 6/26/19 9:13 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > It's a feature of the device-mapper, called "LVM cache" or "dm-cache".
> > It was quite complicated to set up, especially to get the cache
> > activated at boot time.
>
> Intel used to have a feature that allowed you to use a small ssd as a
> cache for the system. Back when small ssd were still expensive.

And, there are hybrid SSD/HDDs, which use the SSD as a cache. Don't know what
where are, price-wise.

> I used it a year, and it blew up twice during that time and had to be
> rebuilt. Worked great otherwise. Never lost any data.
>
> But with ssd speed, reliability, and low prices, its more reliable to
> boot from them directly and use the hdd as storage. Anything complicated
> to set up means less reliable, harder to trouble-shoot.

But, my way I have SSD speed for the entire system, not just for the SSD.  :-)

That instructions, which I compiled, aren't that hard to follow. Finding out
how it works (lack of documentation), was the hard part.

On 6/27/19 9:56 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

But with ssd speed, reliability, and low prices, its more reliable to
boot from them directly and use the hdd as storage. Anything complicated
to set up means less reliable, harder to trouble-shoot.
But, my way I have SSD speed for the entire system, not just for the SSD.  :-)
If the boot drive is an SSD, then the speed up is for the entire system. Storage drives dont really need caching.