General error mounting file system

Eric Jackson-5
I get that error when I boot up. The message continues by saying it will
terminate the shell and try again. I've gotten this message before and
the computer usually boots fine although there are times when I try to
boot that it never loads past the Kububtu progress bar. The drive light
is on, showing activity but it won't load.

Any idea what the problem is or what the solution is?

TIA.

Eric

Re: General error mounting file system

Alvin
On Thursday 01 April 2010 13:05:52 Eric wrote:
> I get that error when I boot up. The message continues by saying it will
> terminate the shell and try again. I've gotten this message before and
> the computer usually boots fine although there are times when I try to
> boot that it never loads past the Kububtu progress bar. The drive light
> is on, showing activity but it won't load.
>
> Any idea what the problem is or what the solution is?

Please tell us the exact error message(s).

Also, if necessary, post the contents of /etc/fstab, /proc/mounts and the
output of 'blkid'.

Alvin wrote:

> On Thursday 01 April 2010 13:05:52 Eric wrote:
>> I get that error when I boot up. The message continues by saying it will
>> terminate the shell and try again. I've gotten this message before and
>> the computer usually boots fine although there are times when I try to
>> boot that it never loads past the Kububtu progress bar. The drive light
>> is on, showing activity but it won't load.
>>
>> Any idea what the problem is or what the solution is?
>
> Please tell us the exact error message(s).
>
> Also, if necessary, post the contents of /etc/fstab, /proc/mounts and the
> output of 'blkid'.

Okay. Thanks for the help.

#
#  -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=2d26ae5b-8b51-47cf-ab9a-b6c9507c951d / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Entry for /dev/sda6 :
UUID=5045cfd0-c1f8-4660-afc9-b8888b8ef914 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Here's /proc/mounts

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2d26ae5b-8b51-47cf-ab9a-b6c9507c951d / ext3
rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=writeback 0 0
none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts
rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
none /var/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc
rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/ericjackson/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0

And blkid

$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="42A01D05A01D0159" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="2d26ae5b-8b51-47cf-ab9a-b6c9507c951d" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda6: UUID="5045cfd0-c1f8-4660-afc9-b8888b8ef914" TYPE="swap"

On Thursday 01 April 2010 14:27:04 Eric wrote:

> Alvin wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 April 2010 13:05:52 Eric wrote:
> >> I get that error when I boot up. The message continues by saying it will
> >> terminate the shell and try again. I've gotten this message before and
> >> the computer usually boots fine although there are times when I try to
> >> boot that it never loads past the Kububtu progress bar. The drive light
> >> is on, showing activity but it won't load.
> >>
> >> Any idea what the problem is or what the solution is?
> >
> > Please tell us the exact error message(s).
> >
> > Also, if necessary, post the contents of /etc/fstab, /proc/mounts and the
> > output of 'blkid'.
>
> Okay. Thanks for the help.
>
> # /etc/fstab: [...]

Looks like a pretty default Ubuntu install. Your only Linux partition is
mounted.

You forgot the exact error messages.

Alvin wrote:

> On Thursday 01 April 2010 14:27:04 Eric wrote:
>> Alvin wrote:

>>> Please tell us the exact error message(s).
>>>
>>> Also, if necessary, post the contents of /etc/fstab, /proc/mounts and the
>>> output of 'blkid'.
>> Okay. Thanks for the help.
>>
>> # /etc/fstab: [...]
>
> Looks like a pretty default Ubuntu install. Your only Linux partition is
> mounted.
>
> You forgot the exact error messages.

I'm not sure how to get it to show. I thought it showed up when I
pressed ESC but it didn't. Do you know how I can see the message?

I think that what I said is pretty close to the error message.

Eric

Re: General error mounting file system

Jonas Norlander
2010/4/1 Eric <[hidden email]>:

> Alvin wrote:

>>> Okay. Thanks for the help.
>>>
>>> # /etc/fstab: [...]
>>
>> Looks like a pretty default Ubuntu install. Your only Linux partition is
>> mounted.
>>
>> You forgot the exact error messages.
>>

> I'm not sure how to get it to show. I thought it showed up when I
> pressed ESC but it didn't. Do you know how I can see the message?
>
> I think that what I said is pretty close to the error message.
>
> Eric

You can deactivate the boot splash to see the boot messages while
booting. In grub press the key (I don't remember which) to enter
"edit" mode and remove the quiet and splash options. Perhaps some one
here know the key sequence for grub?

/ Jonas

On Thursday 01 April 2010 20:12:32 Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2010/4/1 Eric <[hidden email]>:
> > Alvin wrote:

> >> Looks like a pretty default Ubuntu install. Your only Linux partition is
> >> mounted.
> >>
> >> You forgot the exact error messages.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to get it to show. I thought it showed up when I
> > pressed ESC but it didn't. Do you know how I can see the message?
> >
> > I think that what I said is pretty close to the error message.
> >
> > Eric
>
> You can deactivate the boot splash to see the boot messages while
> booting. In grub press the key (I don't remember which) to enter
> "edit" mode and remove the quiet and splash options. Perhaps some one
> here know the key sequence for grub?

Hold <shift> shile booting to make grub2 beta visible. Then press <e> to edit.