Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hello,

Trying to follow this guide to create a custom 16.04 install CD:

When trying to generate a new ubuntu-keyring, I keep running into this issue:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m"Name <email>" -kA5E86765
dpkg-buildpackage: source package ubuntu-keyring
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2012.05.19-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build ubuntu-keyring-2012.05.19
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_clean
   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b ubuntu-keyring-2012.05.19
dpkg-source: info: using source format '3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building ubuntu-keyring using existing ./ubuntu-keyring_2012.05.19.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg in debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball
dpkg-source: error: unrepresentable changes to source
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b ubuntu-keyring-2012.05.19 gave error exit status 2

Has anyone run into this issue in this context?

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

Colin Watson
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 06:25:55PM +0000, Nicholas Bayle via ubuntu-users wrote:
> When trying to generate a new ubuntu-keyring, I keep running into this
> issue:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m"Name <email>" -kA5E86765
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package ubuntu-keyring
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version 2012.05.19-1
[...]
> dpkg-source: info: building ubuntu-keyring using existing
> ./ubuntu-keyring_2012.05.19.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
> keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg: binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: error: add keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg in
> debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in
> the debian tarball

The simplest fix is to change the versioning scheme you're using.
Instead of versioning your package as 2012.05.19-1, you should use
2012.05.19+nbayle1 (or similar; use any identifier you like in place of
"nbayle").

The presence of a "-" in the version causes dpkg to interpret the part
before the "-" as the upstream version and the part after it as the
packaging revision.  This isn't really what you want here, as the thing
you're starting from has already been packaged; you're just modifying
it, and it's not in your interests for that modification to cause a
fundamental change in the type of source package being created.
Avoiding the "-" avoids this problem.

(I think you may also have created debian/source/format.  If so, you
should remove it again, with the same rationale as above.)

Re: Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

ubuntu-users mailing list
Thanks, Colin. That worked like a champ.

Not why those steps are mysteriously absent from the CD customization documentation. Seems pretty critical to completion.

--
Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 10:05:32PM +0000, Nicholas Bayle via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Thanks, Colin. That worked like a champ.
>
> Not why those steps are mysteriously absent from the CD customization
> documentation. Seems pretty critical to completion.

Well, the documentation in question didn't tell you to use any
particular version number; the choice of one with a "-" in it must have
come from you.

I've added some brief version number selection advice to the
documentation now, though, since it's true that it's a gotcha if you do
take the wrong route.

Re: Generating a new ubuntu-keyring .deb to sign CD

ubuntu-users mailing list
I didn't do anything different from the doc. The "-1" must have been added automatically.