Getting the finger print reader to work

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
Hi all,

As the Subject field says.
I've been trying to get the finger print reader to work on my HP ELitebook
850 G5 the last couple of days with no success.

Googling for this problem I see a lot of people having the same problem as I
have. Very few of them has managed to solve this, even with older computers.

I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my HP ELitebook 850 G5.
Running lsusb, lists the below device, which I've identified as the finger
print sensor:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 138a:00ab Validity Sensors, Inc.

This ancient page;
http://ubuntuguide.net/get-your-fingerprint-reader-to-work-on-ubuntu-using-fprint
, lists a similar supported sensor device (138a:0001).

Running fprintd-demo show me the dreaded message "No deviced found".
Running fprintd-enroll on the CLI says "list_devices failed: No devices
available"


Are there any recent insight on this, from the list members?
Is gettting the sensor to work, a futile attempt really?

Thanks.


--
Sorin Srbu | Drifttekniker
KI Universitetsbibliotek (UBIT) | Karolinska Institutet
Berzelius väg 7b | 171 77 Stockholm
070-226 15 84
[hidden email] | ki.se

# Find my OpenPGP public key here:
# https://www.srbu.se/nextcloud/index.php/s/SrmAEYrKH9Knsfp
#
# o<  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
#
# Your possibly offensive MOTD, courtesy of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS:

Q: What do you have when you have a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand?
A: Not enough sand.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

ubuntu-users mailing list
07 March 2019  at 10:01, Sorin Srbu wrote:
Getting the finger print reader to  (at least in part)

>Hi all,

>I've been trying to get the finger print reader to work on my HP ELitebook
>850 G5 the last couple of days with no success.

>Are there any recent insight on this, from the list members?
>Is gettting the sensor to work, a futile attempt really?

May not be same lappy but I found this to work

#!/bin/sh

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libbsapi policykit-1-fingerprint-gui fingerprint-gui
;sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui

and it worked fine, I just kept forgeting which finger I use dso I gave up



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
Hi,

I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device failed"
message or some such.
I think it's the device (driver) that isn't supported on Ubuntu 18.04.
Feels like an excercise in futilty.

--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT



On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 13:04 +0000, Grizzly wrote:

> 07 March 2019  at 10:01, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Getting the finger print reader to  (at least in part)
>
> > Hi all,
> > I've been trying to get the finger print reader to work on my HP
> > ELitebook
> > 850 G5 the last couple of days with no success.
> > Are there any recent insight on this, from the list members?
> > Is gettting the sensor to work, a futile attempt really?
>
> May not be same lappy but I found this to work
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install libbsapi policykit-1-fingerprint-gui fingerprint-gui
> ;sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
>
> and it worked fine, I just kept forgeting which finger I use dso I gave up
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 14:06, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> May not be same lappy but I found this to work
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install libbsapi policykit-1-fingerprint-gui fingerprint-gui
> ;sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
>
> and it worked fine, I just kept forgeting which finger I use dso I gave up

Yes, that's what I did, on a Thinkpad X200.

The snag is that the reader becomes unreliable if the machine gets
warm from a lot of CPU activity, which is exactly the time I need to
``sudo -s'' to kill off a process or something, so while it was very
convenient when nothing was wrong, in times of crises when I needed it
most, it malfunctioned and I couldn't log on.

So I removed it again.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Peter Flynn
In reply to this post by Sorin Srbu
On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device failed"
> message

I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
new HP Envy 17t).

P

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

ubuntu-users mailing list
07 March 2019  at 21:28, Peter Flynn wrote:
Re: Getting the finger print reader (at least in part)

>On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device failed"
>> message
>
>I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
>device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
>guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
>new HP Envy 17t).

Can it be turned off/on in Bios?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 21:28 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device
> > failed"
> > message
>
> I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
> device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
> guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
> new HP Envy 17t).
>

You sure it's not a blank?
During my research I noticed that some laptops may have a blank there and
that it's not that easy to know if it's real or not.

Checking in BIOS, if you see a checkbox to activate the fingerprint reader,
I guess it's confirmed you do have one.


--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn
On Thu, 2019-03-07 at 21:28 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device
> > failed"
> > message
>
> I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
> device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
> guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
> new HP Envy 17t).
>

Do you see this, when you do a lsusb?

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 138a:00ab Validity Sensors, Inc.

--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 06:31 +0000, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 07 March 2019  at 21:28, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Re: Getting the finger print reader (at least in part)
>
> > On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device
> > > failed"
> > > message
> >
> > I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
> > device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
> > guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
> > new HP Envy 17t).
>
> Can it be turned off/on in Bios?
>
On my Elitebook 850 G5 it does, and I checked three times to make sure it's
checked. :-)

--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Liam Proven
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 08:32, Sorin Srbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On my Elitebook 850 G5 it does, and I checked three times to make sure it's
> checked. :-)

Check you're on the latest system firmware and update it if not.


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Jared Norris
In reply to this post by Peter Flynn


On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 07:31, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/03/2019 14:13, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've actually tried that, but it blows with a "no device" or "device failed"
> message

I get exactly the same. According to lsusb I don't have a fingerprint
device but it's right there on the RH side edge of the laptop. At a
guess I'd say it's just failing to be detected at boot time (this is a
new HP Envy 17t).

P

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


In my experience, new hardware requires new OS's to make sure all the drivers and firmware is properly baked in. I would strongly recommend booting off a 18.10 (or even try the latest spin of 19.04) and see if that works. If that works then you can just update to the latest version and it should all be okay. 

When I got my Intel NUC8I7HVK I had to run off a beta release to get it all working. 

Hope that helps,

Jared
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 09:52 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 08:32, Sorin Srbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On my Elitebook 850 G5 it does, and I checked three times to make sure
> > it's
> > checked. :-)
>
> Check you're on the latest system firmware and update it if not.
>

Yupp, did that too. Took forever like.


--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the finger print reader to work

Sorin Srbu
In reply to this post by Jared Norris
On Fri, 2019-03-08 at 19:11 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> In my experience, new hardware requires new OS's to make sure all the
> drivers and firmware is properly baked in. I would strongly recommend
> booting off a 18.10 (or even try the latest spin of 19.04) and see if that
> works. If that works then you can just update to the latest version and it
> should all be okay.
>
> When I got my Intel NUC8I7HVK I had to run off a beta release to get it
> all working.
>
> Hope that helps,
There's an idea, I'll try that, thanks for the hint!

--
//Sorin
Karolinska Institutet Universitetsbibliotek, UBIT

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment